VIC thinking of building DJ's and dont know how much dirt i need to purchase

DALE09

Likes Bikes
how much area would 10 cubic metres of granitic sand cover as i want to build some dirtjumps in my backyard/empty paddock and i was wondering how much i could get done with that amount of sand??

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Dirt ?

Depending on the size of the jumps and how many square meters the entire area takes up you are going to need a lot more than 10 cubic meters. Medium sized jumps of about 1 meter to 1200 mm high you may get 2 very basic jumps. Just decide how high and wide and find the volume then add some more for compaction as when you move dirt around it volumizes...

Hope that helps - it's always much more than you think. I was designing a pump track which was 30 square meters and wanted an average height of 500 mm with the track being 1 meter wide. therefore it's around 150 cubic meters.
Adrian.

DALE09

Likes Bikes
yeah i was thinking one dumper truck load of the sand for a roll in and then another load for the jumps and then go from there tanks for your in put

DALE09

Likes Bikes
but really 150 cubic metres thats fucking loads dude a cubic metre fairly big man you must have the most kick ass pump track

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Once compacted and shaped it doesn't go far - it's a good idea to start with 10 cubic meters and just see how far you get. Good luck have fun. Make sure you get something with a bit of clay in it.

DALE09

Likes Bikes
yeah i was thinking of using granitic sand like you yangs have because that stuff is tough as anything

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Did you think about forming the jumps with fill and surrounding dirt, then put some of the nicer stuff on top.
Not just a fine layer, a decent heap. Clean fill is cheap, sometimes free.

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Just a tip for young players, clean fill is so easy to come by it's not funny. Make a few phone calls to various excavation companies. Pool companies are quite often good. They generally have to pay to dump the dirt they dig up. You explain to them what you need, and will be saving them money to have it dropped at your site. You will be doing them a favour, seriously.

I had ten tonnes dropped off recently. It made three berms. Dirt does not go far...

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Did you think about forming the jumps with fill and surrounding dirt, then put some of the nicer stuff on top.
Not just a fine layer, a decent heap. Clean fill is cheap, sometimes free.
This is the best way to do it. Just make sure it's clean fill otherwise you will be dumping any amount of toxic shit on your property. I am in the construction industry and have seen some bad shit. But this is definately the cheapest and easiest way to go.

DALE09

Likes Bikes
i know all this about the clean fill because im also trying to get some djs built with the councils "help" but im pretty much just kicking ideas around at the moment i thinking of doing but i may not need to if my plans are accepted by the safety guys at the council

FINX74

Likes Dirt
I too, am involved with my local council hopefully yours will move quicker as it's been 2 years with promises everything approved and even engaged pro BMX and DJ builders and the first shovel still won't hit the ground until MAYBE July this year. Local government is about as slow as it gets. We also have a MTB park to go ahead a full valley of trails, which has also been 2 years in the planning process but looks to go ahead in March. Good Luck, keep hassling them.

DALE09

Likes Bikes
yeah thanks finx74 im gonna call the council chick who i have been doing all this with and start hassling them again

and another word of advice about hurrying them up which find one of the councillers and hassle him and make it worth his while and so how much it would make him look good, like photos in the paper and stuff they love that kind of stuff because it makes asplash and remind the community that they want to help

brad353

Likes Dirt
i'd be getting a lot more than 10 cubes of dirt to start with, one good reason being that the expense is in the transport of the dirt, not so much the dirt itself, i'm talkin around 60-70% of the cost is in transport. having said that if you're paying for a truck to bring dirt to your property, you might as well tell them to fill that sucker to the brim to make it worthwhile. not too sure exactly how a cubic metre of dirt compares to a tonne of dirt, but i believe they're very similar. i have over 120tonne of dirt in my backyard for jumps, and trust me it doesn't go very far. it looks like a lot when it's first delivered, but once you start forming the jumps and packing it all down, it disappears very quickly.