Thinking of buying some acreage next year for my own trails. Thoughts?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
If you own the freehold to the land upon which the ultra techy trail that you made sits and then some trespassing numbnuts injures itself on it then the only liability you face is the off chance that the authorities find where you stashed the body.

mikedh

Likes Bikes
With you on the trail design - and the properties are too massive. Oh well.
I like your idea of having an agent do the heavy lifting, but I can see that being problematic if the agent rings me every week to take a look at properties that are four hours away. I've started to conclude that this will be an 'opportunistic venture' in the sense that I'll probably have to wait until a motivated seller places a steal of a property with an agent and then it ends up on the real estate websites (for instance, a $80K 10 acre parcel at Wiseman's Ferry that may have fit the bill was snatched up in less than a week while my wife and I were talking this over). Price and location will dictate motivation enough to make lengthy trips for viewing. After all, there's never enough hours in the day.

Being a health professional - You won't be disappointed!
You bring up good points. I'm no EMT, but I am an emergency first responder at work and I've had to perform some pretty bad trail rescues back home. The emergency plan is absolutely necessary even if there's no riding involved (there are no snakes where I grew up and I'm pretty leery of them).
When using the land tax calculator brought up before, I've placed $500k into the calculator with a zero result. That doesn't seem right. Is there a method of determining land tax available or is it a 'per case' basis?
My first visit to Awaba, a dirt bike rider destroyed parts of the downhill trail in the middle of our shuttle run. We could hear the motorbike but couldn't do anything about it. I've seen how badly one asshole on a dirt bike can rip up a trail here and overseas, which is another reason for using thin unavoidable skinnies to link trail segments together. Skinny timber platforms that kink have prevented dirt bike riders from proceeding on trails back home (especially if the trail starts with a filter). It won't keep everyone off, but it will reduce the damage. Seems like there's always trail repair needed. I've fixed the tight hairpin corner on the black trail option at Hornsby three times now. If the trail I build gets discovered, I'm sure I'll cop a bit more maintenance. More reason to be selfish and not tell other riders of the location.

I love the passion- and had thought of similar ideas myself - Perhaps build a couple of helicopter pads as well
Well, you do kind of bring up one of the driving factors behind this plan, there is plenty of xc out there. To be perfectly honest, I've tried xc and it's not for me. I might be getting older but I still need my fix.
I'd probably ensure that there was a large clearing on the property in the event of a medivac, and my wife would like me to pick up a plb if I go out digging or riding on my own. When we were riding in the Pacific Northwest, we'd be in some extremely remote areas (and illegal areas) as well, it really wouldn't be a new thing for me. That aside, the emergency plan would need to take into account self-applied first aid (which I do have training in) and lengthy waits. Hell, it took almost two hours to get a mate to Gosford hospital when he broke his ankle at Ourimbah. I can imagine how long of a rescue effort it would be on some god-forsaken private property in the middle of nowhere.

Wouldn't it just be easier/cheaper/less stressful to make a trip to Canada every year or so?
I already do that. My family and friends are still there. I can't really wait 330 days to get my riding fix. Besides, I married into a large Italian family and they (the younger ones) might be interested in using the property for camping. I have quite a bit of support.

the logic of making your trail dangerous to keep people off it (the way a lawyer may look at it?) is flawed. - (features can be big without being dangerous
I suppose I could elaborate on this, the features and trail wouldn't be dangerous to keep people off it first and foremost, it would be difficult because that's what I want. It's an additional benefit if the trail is too difficult for a lot of folk. I agree that features can be big without being dangerous but those trails are already available and I get bored of them pretty quickly.
I would love to build the trail out of all-natural features, but that means I'd have to use deadfall to build the skinnies, which really limits how I build that segment of trail (and that's if there's any deadfall available - back home there's millions of naturally felled trees and here there's not).

If you own the freehold to the land - find where you stashed the body.
Being married to a large Italian family has it's benefits. I'm sure we could come up with something.

scblack

Leucocholic
Land Tax issue

Mikedh - the land tax is probably NOT going to be an issue for you - if this is your only property after your primary residence.

In NSW the threshold is $406,000 before Land Tax is levied.

Judging by the properties that have been linked in this thread, you are not likely to go over that.

Also that value is the LAND value - not the whole property value. If you have a property with two homes and a shed that cost $500,000 in the boonies, the land value is likely to be minimal ignoring the homes/shed. The Valuer General will value your land.

Look here if you want any further info:

http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/taxes/land/

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mikedh - the land tax is probably NOT going to be an issue for you - if this is your only property after your primary residence.

In NSW the threshold is $406,000 before Land Tax is levied.

Judging by the properties that have been linked in this thread, you are not likely to go over that.

Also that value is the LAND value - not the whole property value. If you have a property with two homes and a shed that cost $500,000 in the boonies, the land value is likely to be minimal ignoring the homes/shed. The Valuer General will value your land.

Look here if you want any further info:

http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/taxes/land/
You're 100% right - it's land value only!

To the OP do you think 25,000 m² (2.5 Ha) is enough land? That area in a regular shape allotment is only 250m x 100m!

One issue you may come accross is minimum lot size for rural subdivision - in most councils the minimum lot size is 40 Ha, some councils it's 20 Ha! You might not have the choice of buying any smaller parcels of land in a rural area - if the land borders/is close to town usually you'll be able to buy a smaller lot where zoning permits.

That being said if you are looking for steep hilly terrain the land value will be significantly less than farming land - so a larger site may still be in reach for your budget.

The only other thing I'd be mindful of is if you want the site to be powered + connected to water. It's quite a costly exercise to do this.

If you made a course out of timber yeah of course it would burn in a bushfire - I doubt you'd need Council approval to build a 'bike track'. If you are unsure you could check the Council zoning to see what development is permissable on the land you're looking to buy (Personally I wouldn't even bother telling Council - I think it would create a mountain out of a molehill)

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check out around Goulburn, Marulan, Tallong, Crookwell, Taralga. There is usually some pretty cheap parcels of un farmable land around these areas, and still close enough to the city to duck down on a Friday night for the weekend. Enough in the mountains for there to be hills. Marualn and Tallong are very close to Wingello for the XC track and lots of wooded area around still.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Goulburn, Marulan, Tallong, Crookwell, Taralga. There is usually some pretty cheap parcels of un-farmable land around these areas, and still close enough to the city to duck down on a Friday night for the weekend. Enough in the mountains for there to be hills. Marulan and Tallong are very close to Wingello for the XC track and lots of wooded area around still.
Even a little further south east from these areas try Windellama and Oallen. Lots of back of nowhere blocks with hills.

Other suggestion is up along Putty Rd at Putty and Howes Valley. Within 1-1.5 hours of Windsor. Also, great access to Wollemi and Yengo NPs for XC trail rides.

...The best block I've found is this one: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-nsw-megalong-2645809 (please don't buy it! I'm hoping it's still there in a few years when I've got my funds together!)
There is a reason this block is so cheap it's in the middle of nowhere. You have to cross the Coxs River to get to it. Location map: http://goo.gl/maps/7o1nR.

Cheers,
CBG.

baker158

Likes Dirt
Try out Cobargo way?... Fair drive from Sydney but it is really good dirt and quite hilly. My Aunty lives there and every time I visit, I stare at the hills and imagine the trails that could be cut into it.

Good luck
I grew up in Cobargo and on Uni breaks I built a DH track on my parents farm. I'm now living and working in Sydney and the biggest problem is not being able to go down there often enough to maintain it. Its gotten to the point where i don't even take the bike any more :pout:. So i would suggest having something that is much closer otherwise you will spend all your time repairing the track and none riding it.

mikedh

Likes Bikes
Mikedh - the land tax is probably NOT going to be an issue for you - if this is your only property after your primary residence
Well, I didn't really want to get into this, but this isn't going to be our second property.

You're 100% right - create a mountain out of a molehill)
Technically 25,000 m² isn't really enough. I'm just concerned about affordability. The more real estate I can afford while not over extending myself, the better. Having the land powered and connected to water would be brilliant, but it's not a deal breaker (especially in consideration of what I can get within reasonable prices). I've seen a few estimates on power and water connections and they vary pretty wildly. I agree that they are also extraordinarily expensive. In the back of my mind I knew I wouldn't bring it up to council or anyone else for that matter, but it's nice to hear someone else take that perspective as well.

Check out around Goulburn - and lots of wooded area around still.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll keep those in mind!

Even a little further south - Cheers, CBG.
Again, I appreciate the recommendations. To be honest, I'd be quite interested in a location like the one that was mentioned. I have no problems with the middle of nowhere or an occasional river crossing, although that will complicate things.

I grew up in Cobargo - So i would suggest having something that is much closer otherwise you will spend all your time repairing the track and none riding it.
I agree, closer is the way to go. I don't have a standard job and have a few more days off than an average full time employee, so I'm not really daunted by the mammoth task of trail building/maintenance. One of my primary reasons for wanting to be closer to home is because I dislike driving quite a bit. I'm actually pretty stoked on the idea of some space to move around in and get to work.

Thanks again for all the responses and ideas. There's some fantastic terrain out there. It'd be shame if almost every last square kilometer out there didn't have some hidden double-black diamond trail on it.

It also occurred to me that I could probably head to Queenstown and stay at a hostel for the same price as Thredbo (in the meantime).