This is my ride...What would you change???

Benduro

Likes Dirt
This is my new ride: What would you change/upgrade to make it 'SPECIALized'[/B]:D

08' Specialized Stumpjumper Comp HT
Specifications
Frame: M5 Manipulated Alloy w/ Double Butted ORE DT
Forks: Fox F90RL Air w/ 90mm Travel and Lockout
Size: 17 in
Colour: Titanium
Front Derail: Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derail: SRAM X-9
Gear Levers: SRAM X-7 Trigger Shift 9spd
Brake Levers: Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Discs w/ 6in Rotors
Cranks: Shimano FC-M532 Integrated 22/32/44T
B/Bracket: Shimano Integrated Cartridge
Hubs: Shimano Custom Disc Compatible
Rims: DT X-420 Disc Specific
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Specialized Fast Track Pro LK 26x2.0
Free Wheel: SRAM PG-950 11-34 9spd
Handlebars: Specialized Butted 2014 Series Aluminium 31.8mm
Stem: Specialized Adjustable Rise Ahead 31.8mm
S/Pillar: 2014 Series Alloy Micro-Adjust
Saddle: Specialized MTB XC w/ CroMoly Rails
Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty Clipless
Chain: Shimano HG-53
Weight: 11.4 kg

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Carbon riser bars + lighter crankset.

And IMO swap out all the Sram for XT :cool:

But, that is one sweet XC bike! Weight? all xc bikes should post a weight in PYR

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Most people chop and change set-up wise early on in the piece. For example, saddle, pedals and bars that come as standard parts often don't suit many riders. If it were my bike, I would run a more 'roadie' style saddle, I prefer shimano pedals, and might take a little length off of the bars. Carbon is always nice, and adds bling factor, but is basically unnecessary.

I had the same crankset on my bike but swapped it out for an FSA afterburner. Just wanted something that stood out a little bit.

You have a really nice bike though, nothing gives me the s#*ts more than people who spend more time fitting new parts to their bikes than riding them.

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies. Really enjoying riding this bike and so far so good with all the standard kit:)
Have had XT stuff on my last MTB and was great, however I've got used to the SRAM system really quick and I like it, alot!
Thinking the crankset will be 1st to get changed-up (not sure what to yet:confused:).
Still not sure about the Crank Bros Smartie pedals...Rubber has already started to crack so it doesn't look good:(
In regards to the saddle, I have a brand new Selle San Marco Arami that I will prob' put on.
I think the weight at the moment (stock) is at 11.4kg.
I'm worried, mainly for the finances, that I may be becomming a weight wee:eek:nie

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id change cranks & pedals first (never been a fan of crank bros peddles), put some riser bars, and get a nice bling seat. Possibly even Thomson seatpost & stem. Then see what tyres you prefer to use.

Id change to some nicer shifters to.. XO maybe?

Other than that, is a pretty good spec and changing too much would just be a waste. Nice bike!

virgin321

Likes Dirt
you could swap the f/d for a chainguide and take off the chainrings you dont use as much. I did it on my bike and never looked back

Last edited:

Sumo

Likes Dirt
Don't change a thing, just ride it. Upgrade only as things break. I've got Candys, took a lot of getting used to, but now I love them.

lbroy

Likes Dirt
i dont know heaps about specialized but the only thing i would chnge (*if you absolutely have to*) would be the tyres, but again i dont know if specialized tyres are good or not...:D

go maxxis!

H

>Henry

ummmm BUY A RIOT:p
Yep I can totally see the practicality in a Blk Mrkt Riot as a XC bike. Thankyou for that great contribution to this thread. Horizontal dropouts, 4130 CRMO, Euro bb's etc are always good for XC.

Moving on, If you don't mind I was curious as to how much you paid for this? As I'm currently in the market for a XC Hardtail and this looks quite superb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaow

Likes Bikes
Nice bike!

That is one nice ride - Specialized alloy hardtails always look good in my opinion.

If it were mine I wouldn't change much - a new saddle (Fiz:ik Gobi or a new Flite?) and maybe some lock on grips. Perhaps the cranks to some XTs once you wear out the middle ring on the current ones?

Regarding the previous comment on a chain guide - I think US Giant rider Adam Craig was running one at the Stromlo World Cup? Would be cool for XC if you had the legs!

Enjoy!

benz1

Likes Bikes
I've always liked Specialized and this is no exception. If you had to change anything I would change cranks after they wear out or for something cheaper, tyres are always a decent upgrade