thoughts on 2 ring chain devices

ikon

Likes Dirt
hey i have an 06 'goose hardluck pretty stock aside from the pedals and cockpit. i was thinking about getting a twin ring chain device, either for this bike or at the end of the year a 'goose black diamond triple, yes it comes with a single ring setup but i had thought about changing that for a twin just to add a climbing gear.

what i was after was opinions on wether there are dual ring systems that are worth using and how they affect shifting and chain securty etc. only interested in devices that are bottom bracket mount no tabs, only reason i was thinking of putting a climber on the BD was some of the areas i ride have 2-3 Km climb sections and it's ment to be on the heavy side of free ride

bodgie

Likes Dirt
Hey i've got an 07 sasquatch and recently bought a second hand Blackspire Dewlie chainguide second hand. Best $20 i've ever spent. Haven't dropped a chain yet and still shifts fine as well. I was thinking about single chain ring but now, i can't see the point. So much easier and versatile to have a second ring, and with the dual ring guides about you dont have to worry about your chain falling off. My mate also grabbed one of the truvativ shift guides for his stinky and it works great as well, he hasn't dropped a chain yet either. We both ride everything from downhill, freeriding, dirt jumps, the lot. So i'd seriously recommend a dual ring guide, you wont regret it.

Knight

Likes Dirt
Highly recommended. My 2nd hand Demo 9 came with a DMR dual guide and its awesome. Never dropped a chain before and it doesn't affected shifting if your derailleurs are set up properly. And you'll be thankful for it on any uphill. Not that DH bikes are designed to go uphill but its good when a run means riding or walking to the top.

FR_MANIAC

Likes Dirt
Mate, I changed from a triple ring down to a dual ring with a truvativ shift guide about a month ago and I certainly won't be going back.Runs great and quiet too....

Plow King

Little bit.
Another vote for the shift guide. Mate ran one for a rediculously long time and it never dropped any chains, an e-13 is another option but they cost a considerable amount more.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Single all the way I recon.
36 on the front if you want to climb,but 38 is more practical.
Just make sure you have a 34 tooth sprocket on your rear cassette. Those extra 2 or 4 teeth on the back are worth about 4-8 on the front.
Any slower and you can walk as fast anyway.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Just make sure you have a 34 tooth sprocket on your rear cassette. Those extra 2 or 4 teeth on the back are worth about 4-8 on the front.
What's the penalty in two rings though other than they are slightly more likely to drop a chain and a small amount of weight. Sure if you are a top racer I wouldn't do it but for most people it's OK.

ja_har

Likes Dirt
E13 Drs

I had an E13 DRS for years and its brilliant. Never notice it is there and never dropped a chain and still shifts as easy. Would never want a hardcore trail bike without one.

bodgie

Likes Dirt
What's the penalty in two rings though other than they are slightly more likely to drop a chain and a small amount of weight. Sure if you are a top racer I wouldn't do it but for most people it's OK.
I agree with this guy. I cant see the need to really run single ring unless your race all the time and get shuttled everywhere. With the dual ring guides you have plenty of chain security and you have a much more flexible bike which you can ride up hill as well as down.

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
Yeah, it'll be impossible to do any real climbing with a 36 considering it's more than 50% more difficult than with a granny.

No Skid Marks

Yeah, it'll be impossible to do any real climbing with a 36 considering it's more than 50% more difficult than with a granny.
Depends if he is already running the 34 tooth rear I mentioned aswell,I can't be arsed working it out but I think 50% is a gross exageration. I've run a single ring only for about 8 years now,from memory it only took about a month to forget what a granny's like. Whenever I do ride a granny up a hill I do find it a nice change but I get sore lower bum muscles,whatever they are.
I smashed my knee real real hard into the stem once when the chain came off and vowed never to run more than one ring again,and I've never looked back. I find it more challenging/rewarding doing climbs with just a single ring.
Whatever suits you,but myself I prefer the lighter weight and extra assurance/reliability from a single ring. It's no biggy,just personal opinion. There's enogh of you dual ring guys happy with the set up,I don't doubt it,do it,run dual rings,I believe them.

tnankie

Likes Dirt
E-13 DRS

I recomend 38-28 although 38-26 if you can get it is nice as well. oh and yeah definatly a 34-12/11 at the rear.

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Another plug for the DMR guide here. Have been running one on my trail/4X hard tail for a while and never dropped a chain yet. Very simple design - just one roller beneath the rings, but it's effective. Also low $ compared to some other more sophisticated models....

Hobzai

Likes Bikes
'nother vote for the E-13 DRS. Been running one on my Glory 0 for a while now. Smooth, quiet, shifts like a champ and keeps the chain where it should be - around those round spiky metal whatsits. Expensive for what they are, though - not good value for money. I've ridden a ton of XC stuff on it just for giggles and the little ring has been given a workout. So have I, for that matter - freeriders don't come much heavier than the Glory. ;)

No Skid Marks

I think a 36 front/34 rear works out to be 60.4% harder ratio than 22/34.
I said 36 with a 34. Presuming he didn't have a 34 rear as 34 is not standerd,30 or 32 is,what does it work out with a 30 or 32 rear and a 22 front? Not that I care as stated,i'm happy to slog it out in the single,yes when I have bad knees and a walking stick you can say I told you so.

Last edited:

ikon

Likes Dirt
all pretty good running an 11-34 rear and a 24-36 front so will most likely go with the truvative guide as thats the BB and crank i'm using

Dareu2

Squid
Yet another vote for the DMR DRS I have used it for ages and never had any drama's with dropping chains or shifting gears. Also means you can take you ear plugs out when riding as it makes it so much less noise;)