Thoughts on adjustable/telescopic seat posts

cobby

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

I find myself adjusting my seat post height a few times during each ride. I like it lowered a bit one I'm going downhill on single track, etc; but then I need to bring it up again to ride up the next hill or keep going with the XC. I was just wondering what the go is with the adjustable seat posts? Sounds like it's just what I need.

Is it normal to adjust your seat height during a ride? For example, I was riding a rough fire road recently and met a steep decent and as I was going down my back wheel was jumping up a bit (very scary) because I get enough weight on the back. It wouldn't have been an issue if I had of stopped, hopped off my bike and lower my seat.

Cobby.

tomass

Likes Dirt
There a few on the market now, they seem to have some moderate success for those who like to constantly adjust the seat height. The only cons are the cost, weight (quite heavy) and maintenance (I think they require a bleed every now and then, plus any other seals etc). If you are able to deal with all that, then it would be a pretty decent investment.

cobby

Likes Bikes
There a few on the market now, they seem to have some moderate success for those who like to constantly adjust the seat height. The only cons are the cost, weight (quite heavy) and maintenance (I think they require a bleed every now and then, plus any other seals etc). If you are able to deal with all that, then it would be a pretty decent investment.
I like maintenance :p Have no problems bleeding.
Cost isn't a big issue (found a cheap one in the Trading Area)
I'm happy to comprise on the weight; running a 2.5" minion on the front which is guess really heavy. Plus the extra pedalling power I get from have the seat at the right height.

Last edited:

Macr

Likes Dirt
I think that they are a great idea. I think I will wait until the new KS seatpost comes out. I feel the cable actuation point is more refined, with the cable coming out of the bottom, front of the post.
400g is a bonus, as well.

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
If you run a remote lever another issue would be one more cable, which some bikes have no provision for and one more lever on the bars. Personally I like the idea of the ones with the lever under the seat, but each to their own.

shakes

Likes Dirt
I like maintenance :p Have no problems bleeding.
Cost isn't a big issue (found a cheap one in the Trading Area)
I'm happy to comprise on the weight; running a 2.5" minion on the freight which I guess really heavy. Plus the extra pedalling power I get from have the seat at the right height.
I think you've already made your mind up.

ray

Likes Bikes
I have a Joplin remote one on my Niner, it works very well, just keep forgetting i have it!

plus the cable is an issue as the bike has no allowance for it, maybe the bottom of the post near the collar needs a cable guide built in as zip tie is really the only option.

i also have a remote lockout for the front forks and it's looking like cable over load!!

Ray.

Chul

Likes Bikes
I am a believer..

Always in the ergonomic comfort zone (lower back cheers), the ergonomic power zone, get to fang it more going down hills.

You are introducing another failure point to your bike, so you need to accept that, the weight and the cost..

For me..no brainer, love it.

cobby

Likes Bikes
I think you've already made your mind up.
Yea I just wanted some feedback on reliability, functionality, etc. Been doing some reading and it sounds like good ones haven't been around too long, I read lots about wobbling issues, etc; but it doesn't seem to be a problem in the newer models.

The remote adjusters are pretty small, an I'm not too fussed on having to run another cable.

The X-Fusion HILO looks nice, but it seems they are new and I doubt I'll be able to track down a 2nd hand one - which is what I was hoping for. (Wasn't planning on spend $250 for a seatpost).

I'd really like to try out the local lever setup someway if I decide against the X-Fusion HILO.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I think that they are a great idea. I think I will wait until the new KS seatpost comes out. I feel the cable actuation point is more refined, with the cable coming out of the bottom, front of the post.
400g is a bonus, as well.
Possibly one of the best and most informative Pink Bike discussions I've ever read. Seat post looks the business too!

Ivan

Eats Squid
There is newer prototype out out for the KS, with the cable leaving offset to one side. I am holding out for that one.

moa

Likes Bikes
Joplin 4

I have a Joplin remote one on my Niner, it works very well, just keep forgetting i have it!

plus the cable is an issue as the bike has no allowance for it, maybe the bottom of the post near the collar needs a cable guide built in as zip tie is really the only option.

i also have a remote lockout for the front forks and it's looking like cable over load!!

Ray.
Once you get to used to it you end up adjusting your seat almost as much as shifting gears always staying in the sweet zone. if you get one you will ask yourself how you did without it, I put off getting mine for a while the only good thing is that I have a 4" version while my riding buddy has a 3".

in terms of cable management I run mine on a Pivot and I left the quick release in place and run the cable behind the clamp leaver which keeps he cable in place till it links with rear brake line. I then clip it to brake line up to the bars. adding matchmakers to the bars removes some clutter and gets the controls nice and tight

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only cons are the cost, weight (quite heavy)
I have a Joplin 4. Works well on trails that have steep DH sections. By the time I replaced my original post and seatbag (doesn't work on an adjustable post), it actually ended up being lighter. :cool:

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Big fan of the adjustable post, couldn't see me ever using a standard post again. As a previous poster stated, use it as much as changing gears.

I have the X Fusion hilo, had it 6 months, absolutely no issues whatsoever, especially after riding right through our wet season (cairns, wet one too!!) It comes stock with the remote as well as the under seat lever. Not fussed on the the handle bar remote (too much clutter) and the underseat lever is a piece of pee to use.

All my research suggested the Hilo the pick regarding reliability. See MTBR website.

Plus you LBS can source it for you from DIYMTB, cost me $270 delivered.

http://www.diymtb.com.au/displayItems.asp?cid=59

I bought mine from my LBS in case a warranty issue arose, fortunately not. Not to bag another brand but a mate bought a differing brand from CRC to send it back a month later (warranty honoured) and is still waiting for a replacement (now 2 months as they are out of stock)
Plus the Hilo has an air chamber that utilises a shock pump to regulate the air pressure. easy access and simple to do.

Cant recommend it enough.

Last edited:

nickdos

Likes Dirt
If you really want a dropper seatpost and $$$ is an issue then you might want to look at the budget 3" version that Torpedo7 have on sale at the moment for $120

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/R7POAN0MS/title/route-7-adjustable-mtb-seatpost

Here is a review by a RB member:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ustable-post&p=2377338&viewfull=1#post2377338

I ordered one last week and am still waiting for it to get it delivered. They have good service re:returns if faulty and I figured I'd give it a good once over before deciding to keep it or not (they have a return policy if you don't like it or change your mind - as long as you have the original packaging and its not dirty, etc).