Thread for CLYDESDALE/ TALL riders

Monks

Likes Dirt
Any Clyde's found a brand/ retailer that sells jerseys that are not made as crop tops for jockeys? I'm 6"6 and skinny and have never found a jersey that fits properly
hey BDAB, yeah there is a few retailers, but they aren't local.

Zinn Bikes makes a decent looking jersey. He's a big guy: http://www.bigandtallbike.com/Big-Tall-clothing_c_58.html

Aerotech designs, but they're pretty generic/plain: http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/big-man-cycling-jersey.html

Cycletall, another fairly generic looking jersey but nice and long: http://www.cycletall.com/gallery1.htm

Hope that helps.

Monks

Likes Dirt
Hi another clyde here, 6'4 and 92 kgs. Good to know who the other clydes are on here, that way I can make sure that if you're ever selling something I know which parts/frames/etc will fit me :bounce:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I'd pitch in on this too.
1.93cm and 95kgs out of the shower (sorry, too much info!)

Currently running 21" Trek Superfly AL100 Elite. No changes to this aside from adding 800mm bars. Fits beautifully.

Scott Genius LT 20. Only comes in S, M or L so bought the Large. Fitted 800mm bars to this too. Sometimes feels a little small but great fun (when it behaves).

Finally, Focus Raven in XL. Fully stock except for, you've guessed it 800mm bars.

No, I don't hit every tree for miles and it gives great leverage. :eek:)

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Great thread!

I am 6"2 and fluctuate between 105 - 110.

I ride a 09 Carbon Genius 10 and while a tad on the small side is a really great bike. Never broken anything except a small crack in my seat and give it a bit of stick. Reading some previous comments regarding carbon frames, i am now a little worried... The genius is stocked with XTR and other goodies (carbon bars, seatpost, etc) I am at the upper limit weight of the bike and shock, but now real dramas to date.

I am in the market for either a new XL frame or compelte bike so ill be looking at this thread with interest. Not adverse to superlightweight (currently 11kg) so will look at Carbon and Alum for the next one.

Keep up the comments.

Nick.

Mountain Tamer

Likes Bikes
Hi all!

Im 6'4'' and round 110kg with gear. I have a short torso and arms for my height, so I often have the seat up high and tons of spacers under the stem haha. A few people have commented on how ridiculous it looks. Have a xl (22'') Xtc2 2009 pretty much stock except with high volume tyres, 70mm stem and 760 bars. I dont know how some of you guys ride with 800mm bars! Snapped a few chains and been through a couple of hubs, but on the whole it has put up with alot of abuse without complaint!

Recently bought a mach 5.7 xl off the forums here and the fit is perfect! Just having trouble with the marzocchi rc3 44 ti's that came with the bike, Finding it really hard to get the right sag without it smashing through its travel, maybe the springs arent stiff enough for my weight?

Anyway, nice to read about some people who have trouble fitting on bikes too!

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
big fella riders and their bikes

Hi all,

Long time lurker and occasional poster and seller/buyer. 6'3" (190cm) and roughly 90-95 kg's. I commute regularly on a Niner XL EMD 29er and hit the
trails on my Santa Cruz XL Blur Lt. I have had several bikes over the last few years, Yeti 575 - XL, Cannondale Rush - XL, Specialized Epic -XL, Marin Rift Zone - L,
Giant AC - L, Santa Cruz Heckler - XL. All built up from frames by me(except Marin) and imported from the US). The BLT is my favorite, and I will probably ride it til it breaks. I have a Salsa Mukluk under construction at the moment as
well which will be my trekking fun bike. Currently running 720 Crank Bros handlebars and 80mm Raceface AM stem, seems to work well for me with a Rock Shox
dropper post. Old pic below but it gives you an idea...

Cheers

Adrian

Last edited:

Iainm

Likes Dirt
190cm and 98kgs so in the short-arse clydesdale sector. I ride a Large Titus El-Guapo and a 20" Dialled Prince Albert Hardtail both 26-ers and both of which fit pretty well in my opinion :)

Both bikes have 710mm Gravity lite bars with 50mm stem on the Titus and 80mm on the Dialled.

It all comes down to how much you want to throw the bike around or how much you want to sit and pedal. I tried out an XL Spec Epic 29er a couple of months ago but it all felt a bit uninvolved and too easy!

horses for courses?

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
At 6' 2 and 120 kg with gear i guess i'm also in the short/wide Clyde basket.

Ride a large Specialized enduro with lots of spacers under the stem and an offset seat post. i guess i have novelty shaped legs as I have the seat set back a long way to get my knee in line with the spindle. means i have bent every seat post i've had - Thomson, Syncros etc. Waiting to see how the Command Post stands up to my fat arse.

My riding style has been described as sounding like someone draggin a box of spanners along the trail.

Have a mate who is 6'7 and 150 kg. He rides the biggest Giant Alias they make. He's well intimidating on the trail.

alpha2600

Cannon Fodder
Hi all....

Did not think that there were some many taller riders out there... I thought i was in a minority... usually the big boys are all at the basketball courts.

For the record, I am 6'7" and @100kg (on a good day)....

Ride a Niner AIR9 XL with some Giant wheels... Fits me good and has served me well...

danha

Squid
Good thread, found it today which got me to stop lurking and register!

6'5"and 95-100kg here (it varies). Currently riding a 2013 XL Giant Anthem 29er X1, great to have a bike I ride 'in' rather than 'on'. After many years away from MTBs, discovering 29ers has opened up a new world, they're normal sized bikes.

Did my first race today, amazing how much quicker the whippets were, need more fitness :frusty:

As Clydes, what parts do people tend to go through fastest?

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Carbon seat posts.

Folks, I'm in two minds and could do with some contribution from fellow Cydes.
I'm 193 and 95 kgs.
I have a 29" hard tail which I've played about with and dropped weight from the usual places.
At the moment I'm thinking of running a carbon seat post but wonder if this is a wise idea.
Part of me wonders "Is this the place to trim weight from?" And, "Am I asking for trouble?"

Are there any you'd recommend that don't cost a fortune? (I know, light, strong, cheap...pick two)
And any you'd actively avoid?

I've run a Thomson elite, (which is now on another rig) as well as a KS Lev (came off another bike I bought and it's too short).

It'll be 31.6 and needs to be at least 410mm, and I don't need a set back post.

Common sense says get the Thomson again, and the weight weenie in me whispers seductively,
"Go carbon..you know you want it,"

Thoughts?

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Surely a Thompson isn't noticeably heavier than a carbon post. I'd stick with strength for the sake of a few grams (if any).

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
I'm 6'5 and hover between 95-100kg depending on my training cycles.
Currently ride a 2014 trance 27.5 2 XL. Bought mainly for the black colour and have done a lot of upgrades and side grades to suit my riding position/style and to support the extra weight, but it seams thus far to be a nice compliant bike for my shape and size.
I believe just to trust your own instinct in what you think feels comfy, definitely get recommendations and try different positions, but at the end of the day, what is comfy for you is when you will ride the best and therefore have the most fun.
I run 1x10 Shimano xt full groupset with a 32t race face nw ring. XT brakes and 780mm wide easton haven bars and chromag 50mm stem and have yet to have any issue with durability (ran full xt on my old HT 29er and never had an issue as, infact i really like xt).

In terms of set up I like the shorter stem therefore a more upright seated position, my legs are super long and I have a short torso so I need the bars closer anyway otherwise I'm too bent over and get a sore stiff back during longer rides and especially longer DH runs.

Got plans to upgrade to some pikes and some better wheels but can't justify the $$ right at this moment as I don't get much riding done during winter due to that fact I still play footy so only leaves sundays, and I'm usually sore and/or a tad dusty from sat night post footy drinks.
So ill save my $$ during winter and hit some upgrades once the season finishes.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Folks, I'm in two minds and could do with some contribution from fellow Cydes.
I'm 193 and 95 kgs.
I have a 29" hard tail which I've played about with and dropped weight from the usual places.
At the moment I'm thinking of running a carbon seat post but wonder if this is a wise idea.
Part of me wonders "Is this the place to trim weight from?" And, "Am I asking for trouble?"

Are there any you'd recommend that don't cost a fortune? (I know, light, strong, cheap...pick two)
And any you'd actively avoid?

I've run a Thomson elite, (which is now on another rig) as well as a KS Lev (came off another bike I bought and it's too short).

It'll be 31.6 and needs to be at least 410mm, and I don't need a set back post.

Common sense says get the Thomson again, and the weight weenie in me whispers seductively,
"Go carbon..you know you want it,"

Thoughts?
Syntace HiFlex ... 10 year warranty. Not super light but really improves the ride on a hardtail.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Syntace HiFlex ... 10 year warranty. Not super light but really improves the ride on a hardtail.
Re the Thomson, it's the safe and obvious choice and I'm running one on another rig already. Just a little curious and the weeniein me wants it down to 10kgs. Pathetic I know. :^(

That Syntace could be interesting! Thanks, I'll look it up. I usually run the rear tyre pressure a little softer than the front as that, coupled with a 2.2 Race King makes it more bearable.
Any other suggestions?

notime

Likes Dirt
I'm 6'5 and 95 and run carbon posts on all my bikes. I have complete faith in them and they cop a hammering. I've gone from Thomson's to Carbons and it's a whole lot better ride as well.

weight is a stupid game at our size. Component, frame, wheel etc stiffness is going to make you faster, not shedding a kg of weight.

Current posts I have are Truvativ Noir world cup something or others on both my hardtails.

Lanolin

Cannon Fodder
Hi all,

I'm 6'6 and 85kg, currently deciding between a runout 2014 Anthem 27.5 1 and the 29 advanced, XLs, would there be any geometry difference in size given the difference in wheel size?
Would prefer the 27.5. Have been riding an XTC 2 29er for a few years, time to upgrade, has served me well.

Thanks for the help.

Klips

Likes Dirt
I'm not in this category (I'm the midget in my family) but I have a mate who is. He's riding a 4-5 year old anthem with a fox shock, but being 130-140kg or so and he blows through the full travel riding up hills, even at 300PSI which is what it's rated to. Does anyone have suggestions for a shock that won't do this?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not in this category (I'm the midget in my family) but I have a mate who is. He's riding a 4-5 year old anthem with a fox shock, but being 130-140kg or so and he blows through the full travel riding up hills, even at 300PSI witch is what it's rated to. Does anyone have suggestions for a shock that won't do this?
I'd say if the shock is setup for the correct sag it's not an air pressure issue, it's a compression issue. Not many shocks, if any will cope with slowing down that force with standardl valving. I think he needs to look at a custom tune, upping the compression damping.

I used to be a fair amount heavier in my moto days, 125 kitted up, most stock bikes were not only undersprung but underdamped also.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'd say if the shock is setup for the correct sag it's not an air pressure issue, it's a compression issue. Not many shocks, if any will cope with slowing down that force with standardl valving. I think he needs to look at a custom tune, upping the compression damping.

I used to be a fair amount heavier in my moto days, 125 kitted up, most stock bikes were not only undersprung but underdamped also.
as Duane stated- custom tuning works wonders for the heavier riders.

short stem and wide bars seem to be the go for tall riders- i just cant run a really short stem as it shortens the effective top tube and cramps me on climbs espcially out of the saddle. I think that is just life at the top of the world.