Threaded headsets, quill stems and suspension

McPete

Likes Dirt
Folks,

Today I stumbled across an old 4130 chromo framed mountain bike in a friend's shed, an Apollo Kosciusko. I found myself getting an urge to make an offer for it, so I could do myself a nice older XC machine to compliment my stock-as-a-rock Mk.1 Stumpjumer.

However, the bike runs a threaded headset and a quill stem system, and this made me wonder:

Is the bike would be compatible with modern suspension forks, or would I be stuck with the old rigid ones?

Thanks,
Peter

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
I've got one of these, and let me tell you, it's an XC weapon. I still have it in it's original trim circa 95. Keep the rigids, they're good fun!

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
No. A threaded headset is not compatable with a threadless headset, or threadless fork.

If it is a 1" threaded set, you may be in luck. During the cross-over period some 1" threadless stuff was made before the 1"1/8 was popularised (sp). You'll need to stick to a threaded fork, or change the whole headset/fork/stem in one go. Or, find a sick old school threaded fork.

Hope that helps.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I rode one in 1994 that I borrowed off my cousin for a bit. It was a sensational bike in its day.

I would think that it would have a 1 inch head tube which is really going to limit your fork options but you need to check that out.

McPete

Likes Dirt
OK, thanks guys. I'm going to make an offer on it anyway- I think I'm starting a bit of a collection of Apollos now :p

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Do it. Even if you don't ride it too much, it'll be cool to have something that rad and old. Yeh, it should be a 1" headtube, which means the threaded, or threadless options.

lol i have one of these under my house i didnt know they were a decent bike in its day it doesnt look flash just normal cheap old mtb looking

McPete

Likes Dirt
Not as yet, I haven't actually been back since I saw it- that nasty critter called work has gotten in the way, but I still want that bike!

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's cool.

I'm still tempted to do it to my old Specialized Hardrock.

1 1/8th steerer, threaded. I'd like to rip that off, put some chunky new suspension forks on there but would like a little more confirmation that it's easily done with a new stem and headset.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Whoa man! I have one of these in original trim also! It would probably be one of the more recent ones as it has suspention but chances are, its the same frame. (4130 Cro-mo with 1" headset) Ill agree with v1llage1d1ot, absolute weapon! Kitted out with full STX-RC derailleurs,canti-brakes, SRAM grip shifters, Mavic wheels, its ace. Only issue is its a very small frame and that the center chainring is bent, other then that, not a bad bike.

I still have the bike, but not as a whole. Most of the parts are on my old commuter bike (a larger 18" Giant Attraction....like I said, frame was just too small) so if anyones interested in any parts, give us a buzz. Forks were 'Top Gunn' and still work alright for a spring/elastomer set up. Seals are long gone though (fork boots just deteriorated) but im sure these could be sourced again.

In answer to McPetes question though, no, the frame is not compatible with nearly all forks these days as they run a 1 1/8th steerer BUT you can get lucky with many older forks. (Think Manitou Mach, Rock Shox Quandra and even early Judys-my pick) The only issue here is from a performance point of view, they are nothing special...usually very firm and lack proper damping. The Judys would be alright but you would need to find some in a good state. Marzocchi is the only fork manufacturer that I have seen still producting a fork with an optional 1" threaded steerer and that was an MX fork. Alas, it was a 2005 model...if you can get your hands one one, then you would be set!

Good luck man!

Last edited: