Threaded stem on a nonthreaded steerer tube?

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
As you guys might or might not know i have a truvative holzfeller stem which seems to thread on instead of dropping right onto the fork steerer.

Would it be ok to use this type of threaded stem on a normal fork steerer which does not have threads?

thanks

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As you guys might or might not know i have a truvative holzfeller stem which seems to thread on instead of dropping right onto the fork steerer.

Would it be ok to use this type of threaded stem on a normal fork steerer which does not have threads?

thanks
I'll bet you don't! Are you the guy who has the P2/3 who made the other thread about a threaded steerer tube?

Does it have pinch bolts on the back? if so, I'd hazard to guess it's just a bit tight, and you should be able to just push it on, you may need to loosen it off entirely and spread it open gently with a flat screwdriver...

Last edited:

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
I'll bet you don't! Are you the guy who has the P2/3 who made the other thread about a threaded steerer tube?

Does it have pinch bolts on the back? if so, I'd hazard to guess it's just a bit tight, and you should be able to just push it on, you may need to loosen it off entirely and spread it open gently with a flat screwdriver...
ya same guy here

I am in the process of getting a new fork which doesn't have threaded steerer tubes so i was just wondering its gonna be ok to put it on or if i should invest in a new stem. I got the fork off alright though :)

le chat

Likes Dirt
???
Your Truvativ is non-threaded! Threaded headsets are long gone. Just apply a small amount of grease on the steerer tube and the stem will just slide on

Dicky

Punter God
Check that there's no damage to the top of the steerer as well. If you banged it with a hammer (much cheaper than therapy), then there may be a small metal 'lip' on the top that you'll need to carefully file down before the stem will slide on.

As was mentioned in the other thread, it's definitely not a threaded steerer, that's just some poor machining work during manufacture. Looks like the cutting tool was going blunt.

Threaded stems / headsets work in a very different way. Pull apart the next rusted old roadie you find in the council cleanup, and you'll see how.

Last edited:

le chat

Likes Dirt
Those are not threads! Those are machining marks on your steerer but easy to see why you think those are threads.

Trust us, your stem/steerer is NOT threaded. If you have been banging the top of your steerer with a lump hammer then you you have caused the top to flare out a small bit thus causing your stem not to slide on.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if there is a bur on the top, just get a file, and take the edge of.

I don't recall there being anything called a threaded stem.

There is a quill stem, a threaded headset, and a threaded fork, but I don't think you can get a threaded stem.

I'm sure someone who knows better wwill speak up.