Thredbo - all you need to know

topic

Likes Dirt
Heading down to Thredbo on the 24th Jan with a bunch of guys looking to hit it up again
has anyone had a go at the flow track? wasnt open last time i was there,
flow trail is slow and pedally on a full DH bike ATM but after it packs down and gets ridden in it will be a really fun track and long

Glenn Polner

Likes Bikes
flow trail is slow and pedally on a full DH bike ATM but after it packs down and gets ridden in it will be a really fun track and long
Ah Sweet well i will be riding my Reign on it again so all good lol
will hire a glory the 2nd day i am there to enjoy the full offering hahahaha

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heading down to Thredbo on the 24th Jan with a bunch of guys looking to hit it up again
has anyone had a go at the flow track? wasnt open last time i was there,
It should be called the not so flow track!

Its not at all like bullers flow trail.

Its very tight, the berms dont have much support and there is a fair bit of off camber.

Yes it is a track that can be ridden on XC bikes but it could be so much better.

Glenn Polner

Likes Bikes

Its very tight, the berms dont have much support and there is a fair bit of off camber.

Yes it is a track that can be ridden on XC bikes but it could be so much better.
whos doing their design and building? should send the synergy guys down there!

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whos doing their design and building? should send the synergy guys down there!
From what I have been told the guys building it work for Thredbo and dont actually ride bikes that much.

Totally agree about Synergy they would build an awesome track!

Glenn Polner

Likes Bikes
From what I have been told the guys building it work for Thredbo and dont actually ride bikes that much.

See that makes no sense to have guys who dont ride building trails :-/ thats like having a 2 year old fix your car lol
is it true they cant add additional trails to the mountain?

Hoping synergy do redhill on the beaches,

windshuttle99

Likes Bikes

Personally i think it is a flow track.... i have ridden it over 10 times now chainless with no problems. If thats not flow, what is? Yes their is some slight off camber, but it doesnt mean you have to pedal. From what ive been told the flow trail is a working progress, now that the trail is actually built they can go in and add features, rebuild corners etc. making it an epic trail for the future. Glen Jacobs who built Copperhead, Bullers flow trail actually came and rode the new Flow trail before Thredbo opned it to the public and was very impressed with it and only had a couple of minor sugesstions which Thredbo made.

Very untrue, all involved are riders whether they DH, XC or BMX. One of the main builders and the man in the excavator was on the Australian Junior team a few years back and still is one of the fastest riders in the country.

See that makes no sense to have guys who dont ride building trails :-/ thats like having a 2 year old fix your car lol
is it true they cant add additional trails to the mountain?

Hoping synergy do redhill on the beaches,
True & False in a way. Yes it is true that in the past it has been a long and hard process to get a new trail through National Parks. As some of you may know Kosciuszko Thredbo has now taken over all MTB operations in Thredbo. This has resulted in a new masterplan for mountain bike trails within the Thredbo Resort and non other than Glen Jacobs will be coming in from World Trail to develop these trails over the next 5 years. Glen Jacobs is the man that made Stromlo, Buller and Glenorchy what they are!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
People shouldn't get hung up on terminology("Flow"), it is what it is. It is challenging, yet easy, slow, yet fast. But most importantly it exists.
If anyone complaining knew how much efforts been put in to get it to where it is, you'd probably see it differently.
It's a pretty big task to put a 5.5km track down a MTN, keeping everyone happy, including National Parks(huge task), and Thredbo snow management(remember, this is where the funds come from), in a very limited time frame.
Instead of bitching on, add some creative input.
I personally think a lot of the berms should go a touch longer, but even that'll become obvious and no doubt be fixed.
Jumps, and features will obviously come with time, and corners will no doubt be changed once the tracks packed in it's obvious what corners kill the "Flow".
I think it's fun. More people are doing runs on it than the DH track, so it's fore filling many beneficial purposes.
and although I personally protested calling it a "flow" track, it does flow, and when the dirt packs in it'll flow even more.
It's not a BMX track remember.

Last edited:

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
People shouldn't get hung up on terminology("Flow"), it is what it is. It is challenging, yet easy, slow, yet fast. But most importantly it exists.
If anyone complaining knew how much efforts been put in to get it to where it is, you'd probably see it differently.
It's a pretty big task to put a 5.5km track down a MTN, keeping everyone happy, including National Parks(huge task), and Thredbo snow management(remember, this is where the funds come from), in a very limited time frame.
I personally think a lot of the berms should go a touch longer, but even that'll become obvious and no doubt be fixed.
Jumps, and features will obviously come with time, and corners will no doubt be changed once the tracks packed in it's obvious what corners kill the "Flow".
I think it's fun. More people are doing runs on it than the DH track, so it's fore filling many beneficial purposes.
and although I personally protested calling it a "flow" track, it does flow, and when the dirt packs in it'll flow even more.
I am not saying it doesnt flow, it just doesnt flow enough! The buller track is just so much better its not funny.

Alot of the corners are far to tight for beginners and will cause large braking bumps to appear before them(Which is happening already). I did 24runs(swapping from the flow to DH track) there a few days ago and watched as many people blew out alot of the corners on exit.
Alot of the corners start with good support and then just faid away. They are becoming chopped out badly

You are right about more people riding the track but that is because the majority of the people riding it where beginners. When I was there around new year only 10% of ridders were actually downhillers. Most were XC riders or first timmers. I spoke to alot of them and they were concerned about how tight the corners were so some places.

I agree that it has been hard process for them to get the track built, I just had hopped for a bit more.

Possibly with time, rain, riders, some realigment and alot of work it will be better. Fingers crossed as it was great to see so many people down there.

They have achived what they indended to get more people on the hill. Now they just need to keep them coming back!

Glenn Polner

Likes Bikes
Personally i think it is a flow track.... i have ridden it over 10 times now chainless with no problems. If thats not flow, what is? Yes their is some slight off camber, but it doesnt mean you have to pedal. From what ive been told the flow trail is a working progress, now that the trail is actually built they can go in and add features, rebuild corners etc. making it an epic trail for the future. Glen Jacobs who built Copperhead, Bullers flow trail actually came and rode the new Flow trail before Thredbo opned it to the public and was very impressed with it and only had a couple of minor sugesstions which Thredbo made.

Very untrue, all involved are riders whether they DH, XC or BMX. One of the main builders and the man in the excavator was on the Australian Junior team a few years back and still is one of the fastest riders in the country.

True & False in a way. Yes it is true that in the past it has been a long and hard process to get a new trail through National Parks. As some of you may know Kosciuszko Thredbo has now taken over all MTB operations in Thredbo. This has resulted in a new masterplan for mountain bike trails within the Thredbo Resort and non other than Glen Jacobs will be coming in from World Trail to develop these trails over the next 5 years. Glen Jacobs is the man that made Stromlo, Buller and Glenorchy what they are!
Which ever way you look at it i love the place hence why i am coming back hahahah (also the fact parents live there as well), Funny you say stromlo hitting that the day before Thredbo,
good to see KT invest money in to the MTB scene.

Glenn Polner

Likes Bikes

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

LMAO Bitching on, think everyone has the right to freedom of speech right?
Whatever dude. Trying to find fault with what I'm trying to say for arguments sake is fruitless.
Winging doesn't give trail builders much inspiration.
It's just opened, give em a break is all I'm saying. There's a handful of dudes working on it, without getting much time to ride it, most have families they had to go have christmas with. and they still have to maintain both tracks. The tracks getting punished with so many riders in such dry weather, with little hands on deck I'd guess to look after it.
Non MTBing staff have probably given it the flow trail tittle. Either way, by definition it probably is. It's just an easier option to the A-Line to give more people a go, be them unskilled, or with bikes with less travel(non DH).
Bitch on.
Please let us know what track you've built?
I like non perfect tracks, take more skill in a way. Plenty of predictable XC tracks around now days, or footpaths.
I did a bit of work on the track last year. I know what restrictions are in place, and how hard it is for the trail crew to tick every box.

Glenn Polner

Likes Bikes
I was lucky enough to tag along with the Thredbo trail crew to do some full runs of the B track yesterday(cheers guys).
Rode my Zerode. A smaller travel bike would've been more ideal, but was still lots of fun on the DH bike. Lots of challenging little jumps, and some sneaky hidden ones. Awesome cornering practice on the DH bike as you need to keep speed on lots of them for some slight inclines after. As it packs in more it'll be awesome. and I'd love to ride it on a 6" bike, or even hardtail. I'd happily ride it all day on any mountain bike. and as it gets ridden in and they can asses it more it'll evolve into quite a fun track. Shame it's going to get destroyed over XMas break before it all gets to pack in. So the trail workers will be wasting time on repairs instead of more trail features, but such is life.
So it's open tomorrow for everyone to enjoy. It's about 5.5km long, and is actually more tiring on the DH bike than the A line. Still good for warm ups for the DH though.
It's still new, so doesn't roll half as fast as it will in a few more weeks, then it'll ride awesome, and the jumps etc will be more achievable to most. I couldn't clear lots of them on big bike, because of poor corner speed.
Anyone thinking about heading there, should. No need for a full blown DH rig or matching skills.
Lmao where in any of my posts did I actually say anything bad about the existing trails or flow trail? Yep didn't!

peanut

Likes Dirt
I went to thredbo between xmas and new year for the first time. The biggest thing i noticed was how many people were giving the flow track a go.
We had 9 in the DH track guided run and there was over 20 doing the flow track guided run.
I'd say from the skills on display from the flow track group it was great there was a flow track for people to enjoy themselves on, as the vast majority probably would have walked most of the DH track, returned the hire gear and never returned to ride a bike at thredbo.
i think it's definately a step in the right direction to increase the patronage of the place, which would hopefully increase the need for more tracks and investment for mtbing at thredbo.
As for the track i did 4 runs down it, it was pretty good fun, i found some of the corners pretty soft and too tight, things that will be worked out with time.
If i could make one suggestion it would be that since this track is aimed at the beginner/less skilled rider( my assumtion) maybe use that mindset when laying out approaches to corners etc. E.G .I noticed the builders didn't use any slight uphills to slow riders down before corners, it certainly helps to prevent breaking bumps, I also think reducing the gradient in some sections by lengthening the track in parts will aid the rideability by the beginner/novice riders and help prevent riders being on the brakes so much accelerating trail wear. I'm sure these things will come with time, they were just things that stood out to me off the bat.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NSM has me more than interested as he always speaks good stuff even if it isn't what people want to hear! Go Rod!

So to ride the "flow" trail do you need to do the initiation like for the DH or do you just need a lift ticket... I assume there is some learning required to use the lifts with a bike.

Also are there any specific requirements on equipment for the trail.

Oh and are the prices listened anywhere for this.

Just going to be in Jindabyne in two weeks on holiday so would like to give it a go.

No Skid Marks

Lmao where in any of my posts did I actually say anything bad about the existing trails or flow trail? Yep didn't!
Whatever dude. You shit stirred. Playing with words. Freedom of speech sure, tell someone breaking their balls their track sucks when it's unfinished. Do you think Leonardo Divincis portaits looked great at the start. "Looks like a circle man"(perfect at least). Words might fail me, I'll admit that, but the crux of what I'm saying is clear enough to see I'd say. The Thredbo trail fairies are doing a great job. If you wanna go work on the trails for chicken feed in the hot sun, then go have your say with a shovel. I helped build the top section in the trees, the little four pack I built, I spent a day by myself removing a boulder with a broken shovel so a hard corner would flow better. The S bend in the trees after you cross the fire road I spent a day or two on. Bag the shit out of that if you like, I like it. I also had as much input as I could on lots of other parts before having to leave because of a riding injury. But mostly we just did tiring un rewarding cutting in and shovelling. All the different dirt, the crushed granite is put in mainly by hand. Hard yaka. That track will evolve to be heaps of fun. Already is fun and challenging. I'm stoked to watch it evolve, and hope to get on the shovel there again next year. More importantly, it'll allow the A line to get a bit more hardcore, and that for me is the best part. Thredbo isn't a blank canvas for trail builders to do as they please. The trees are to be untouched as they're National park. The open grass land is a ski resort, that gets limited snow so they need to be able to scrape up the snow easily, meaning the tracks need to be pretty non existent ie flat. I'm hoping berms and jumps etc won't have to be flattened and rebuilt each season like the jump before Bunny Walk and at the bottom of the A line. It's a huge juggling actr. Write to Thredbo if you want to help, or National Parks. You'll get the most power from your voice there. Or post creative ideas as I suggested. I'd also like to see more mounds before corners to help turn the bigger bikes in on the tight ones. and more sneaky jumps, but they're a given. I'm saying have your say, I'm just saying the builders are up against the wall, give them some respect for what they've achieved.
No it's not the best track in the world.
NSM has me more than interested as he always speaks good stuff even if it isn't what people want to hear! Go Rod!

So to ride the "flow" trail do you need to do the initiation like for the DH or do you just need a lift ticket... I assume there is some learning required to use the lifts with a bike.

Just going to be in Jindabyne in two weeks on holiday so would like to give it a go.
Still need to do initiation if you've not done it before, and a full face.
PM me to hook up for a ride on your way through Canberra.

Last edited:

BM Epic

Eats Squid

Im with you Mark..go Rod!

No Skid Marks

Im with you Mark..go Rod!
Cheers. I did less than 1% of the work on that track. It's PK, and Crisso from KT that deserve most of the cred, and Will, Danny, and the rest of the Thredbo trail crew doing the hard yards for chicken feed, and not much reward it would seem.