Thredbo getting serious at last

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
^^ Haha I agree with both of these comments.

I will however be spending the weekend of the 30th of Nov down at Thredbo.

The phrase "New jump line..." sounds good to me...

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
an announcement announcing a whole lot of nothing imo. nothing new.
Positive outlook, just What the new management at Thredbo need to see to spur them on(not).
There is a whole new B track %95 complete, so that in itself is something new. Last year saw new jumps and features added to old faithful, and now with a new B track, the DH track can get a bit more serious.
There's new upper management at Thredbo, with a very positive attitude towards MTB. Not sure of this years pricing, but Thredbo will be well worth a visit this year. I'd say more than once, as it will be constantly evolving. Hopefully a third gravity track will be in the works this year too. I'd like to just see the two tracks that are already there get all the love this year myself.
With a big business like Thredbo, the written jargon will always be written by marketing or something, and not have the correct terminology, or say the right stuff. But I know there's a solid group of at least 5 staff that are on the ground doing track work, and they're keen as, and have had their leashes lengthened, and support given to help comply with National parks requests.
In short. This will be the best year so far for Thredbo, and that statement should apply for the next few years at least, hopefully for ever.

Last edited:

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Untapped

I think Thredbo is an untapped gold mine, sure the current structure is a little short on riding options but with the right attitude it can be a mini Whistler. Build it and they will come. Can someone tell the Thredbo management to have a biking holiday in Rotorua.

T-Rex

Template denier
an announcement announcing a whole lot of nothing imo. nothing new.
Without being negative I can't help to feel the same .
I'm not so sure. What's not obvious from the page on the web site is that Thredbo have purchased the SE Mountain Biking business/concession from the current owner. The only way you would get senior managemnet approval for that sort of capital expenditure is if you had it backed up with a business case to drive more customers to the resort. And you are only going to attract more customers by substantially improving on what's already there.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any new lift accessed trail is a positive. It's been years since I've been to T-bo but heading down this summer and am already pumped for it! I way it read to me was that some things are still not complete and so not being hyped just yet, just in case. It would be nice to see it return to the 5 or so trails that were rideable in the 90s.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I'm pumped. I'll travel down more than my once a season! I'll do a week there if they have 3 tracks. I'll take 2 bikes. Camp out for nix, bath in the creek, kill a couple native mammals for food.

Damo give up the durries and you'll love it

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think Thredbo is an untapped gold mine, sure the current structure is a little short on riding options but with the right attitude it can be a mini Whistler. Build it and they will come. Can someone tell the Thredbo management to have a biking holiday in Rotorua.
definitely, do we expect a whistler size, no but damn they could make some good cash if they go on the development, the thing that is good with dh is the trail could potentially be turned into double blacks for ski season at least the wider open areas of trails (if made)

If you can go to thredbo for half the price of whistler and get half options its worth it. Plenty of people make the trip just for the trail thats there now, if they branch out id expect it would be significantly more attractive, you would expect those who do go would spend a few more days too given more variety.

how does the bike community go about pitching these ideas to thredbo? I men sure its up to them but its still up to us the riding community to pursue the things like thredbo and the government to grow this sport we all love so much yet gets so little here in Australia.

sundy

Likes Dirt
I can understand people's cynicism about this, it seems every other year you hear that Thredbo is going to crank it up.
But, if they build a new trail (and it sounds like they have), then everyone should try to get there this summer. If there are good numbers this season, then next year there'll probably be another trail, and so it goes.
We have to support the people that are trying to develop our sport in Australia. We are so far behind the rest of the world in terms of organised places to ride.

Get behind it.

buffy

Likes Dirt
If you can go to thredbo for half the price of whistler and get half options its worth it.
thats never going to happen.

for me thredbo is MORE expensive than whistler and has about 1% of the options. it will never be worth it for a guy like me who spends 40+ days riding.

buffy

Likes Dirt
I can understand people's cynicism about this, it seems every other year you hear that Thredbo is going to crank it up.
But, if they build a new trail (and it sounds like they have), then everyone should try to get there this summer. If there are good numbers this season, then next year there'll probably be another trail, and so it goes.
We have to support the people that are trying to develop our sport in Australia. We are so far behind the rest of the world in terms of organised places to ride.

Get behind it.
just interested to know if you support the australian snow industry? because they literally rape australians and the industry never improves.

i agree that australia is super backwards compared to the rest of the world not only in these two industries but about a million others too.

disagree with supporting any of them though, it doesnt help from what ive observed.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If they build it, people will go.

But in all reality, I can't see Thredbo ever becoming a premium bike destination. It's too far from major cities, the NPWS have too much control, and the terrain/dirt isn't conducive to building a world class bike park.

Much like in winter, people will eventually say "screw it, it's cheaper (and better) to go to New Zealand".

morticus

Likes Dirt
Thats absoloutely correct. Will cost you less if you live in Sydney to fly to NZ and ride Queenstown for a week, than go to Thredbo. The only reason i will consider Thredbo is because i have access to a lodge there for about $20 a night. But i can find accom in Qtown for the same price too.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with others on here I think any addition to what is there now is a positive and should be supported, the more people that ride Thredbo the requirement for additional trails will increase…snowball effect if you will!

That being said I really think there needs to be more variety in the DH track…I mean it isn’t a bad trail but just doing laps of it all day does become a bit tame after a while (about a day for me).

I will def make the trip to Thredbo this year as it’s been 2 years since I last rode there…I just hope more is added to keep me coming back for more. If it fundamentally remains the same I don’t think I could be bothered jumping in the car driving the 6 hours from Sydney.

I’m a snowboarder as well and whoever did the layout for ski lifts in Australia should be shot…they are woeful. Perisher especially with some lifts that go nowhere and some located right next to each other (towers chair’s on Mount Perisher is a perfect example). I’ve boarded in New Zealand and Canada and the lift layout are so much better. Honestly I couldn’t see how downhill could be incorporated into Perisher as there isn’t really any runs long enough to make it worthwhile!

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Its great to hear they are starting to expand. But I still find it hard to get motivated to drive all the way down there.
Its been a few year since my last Thredbo trip... Putting some thought into this summer.

One thing that would encourage me, would be half day lift tickets. That way you could drive down in the morning and ride that arvo. As it is now (unless you want to spend $70 on 1/2 a day) you drive down, stay the night then start riding the next day... Waste of time. Half day would also be good on the last day of riding, ride the morning then drive home...

Is there any epic all-day over the summit sort of all-mountain rides to be had there? That would get my dollars... A day on the lift, then a day peddaling

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just interested to know if you support the australian snow industry? because they literally rape australians and the industry never improves.

i agree that australia is super backwards compared to the rest of the world not only in these two industries but about a million others too.

disagree with supporting any of them though, it doesnt help from what ive observed.

guess you didnt get a season pass for 699 this year.

Anyone else hear of perisher developing plans for a DH track?

as for thredders, any push forward is a good thing, even if its just a mound of dirt and a wood pallet jump thing :)