thredbo told to shorten track !

alpasue

Likes Bikes
why shorten it ?

Lots of good comments and some stupid ones as well, where will riders hang out and warm up if it is cold mountain weather, there will be chaos getting to some new start point, with no cover or water and toilets. The national series is being run by some new people this series and i am wondering if they are cross country riders, there has never been a problem with the length before. it is surely to late to change the start ! keep the comments flowing.

frenchie

Glenorchy MTB Park
My name is Simon French, I am your MTBA DH rep and have been for a coupe of seasons now. While course length and layout is in the hands of the tech delegate I can offer some insight. The target UCI course length is 2-5 minutes and MTBA is now running our national series as UCI categorised events- the main reason for this is so that riders can earn UCI points to get them to world cups. This also encourages international riders to race here in their off season chasing points. Therefore we must fit international standards- and rightly so if we are to act as a breeding ground for future world cup riders. In my opinion the course so far this season (Adelaide and Shep really) have been TOO SHORT, this is the feedback I have got from most riders and thus the feedback I have passed onto MTBA in my reports.

I haven't ridden Thredbo in a few years now so can't really safely comment on the track itself, but I will say that I think we should be aiming to keep tracks within the international standard length- without sacrificing the riding experience of the individual track. 7 minutes is too long for a national series race.

As with this and any other round, and any other issues for that matter, I am always happy to speak on riders behalf to MTBA at committee meetings etc. The best way to get me is via email to simon (at) dirtart.com.au

Cheers guys

CRIK

NSWMTB
We are now half way through the Series and have so far had 2 tracks (Shepparton & Adelaide) that have been too short according to UCI rules. We are about to have a Round that is too long, why start to follow the rules half way through the Series AND after everyone has entered?

todd28

Likes Dirt
For me making the track shorter will screw everything up as i wont be able to compare times to last couple of years. I can see what MTBA are saying though, the more pro riders that come to thredbo the more money it will bring in to improve the track and other facilities. I think they should keep it at the end of the fire road just around the right hander.

CRIK

NSWMTB
Because its far easier to shorten a track than lengthen it, CRIK.
Obviously, floody.

Why wreck the best track in this years series? If MTBA had told us at the beginning of the Series, I wouldn't have a problem, but to tell us (they haven't told us yet anyway) one week out from the race is unacceptable I think. Surely you can't change the rules after everyone has entered.

floody

Wheel size expert
Ok, I haven't been there for a few years. But they've just cut the fireroad bit out? Hardly wrecking the track.

CRIK

NSWMTB
I don't have an issue if it was the end of the fire road but they are talking about starting it even further down than that.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lots of good comments and some stupid ones as well, where will riders hang out and warm up if it is cold mountain weather, there will be chaos getting to some new start point, with no cover or water and toilets. The national series is being run by some new people this series and i am wondering if they are cross country riders, there has never been a problem with the length before. it is surely to late to change the start ! keep the comments flowing.
Does it matter who runs it? They are probably volunteers doing a great job with the criterion that has been set for them.

dw-link

Likes Dirt
Thredbo

Its a DH track, it's supposed to be narley as someone said earlier it will be bad because you cannot compare last seasons times.I iv also heard from some one that it is supposed to be the longest track in N.S.W so why change it? its just making it not as good;)

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
The best run it at six minutes or so right? Why is this considered too long? Compare to high fours and fives for the likes of Germany, and Scotland world cup tracks. MTBA have the influence and member numbers to focus on lobbying for this track to be improved to a world class standard, not shortening its length for a national level event because it takes longer to ride down than people say it should.

If I was able to race before I saw this, I'd consider pulling my rego and saving my money.

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
Surely announcing that the track will be shortened after everybody has signed up and paid their entry is not "UCI Standard"

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Thredbo mtbe to shorten track

Kareela is normally used when the wind takes out the quad chair lift, it has been used for years as the stand by when you cannot get to the top. If is snows or rains heavy whole track closed.

Hobart downhill had a total of 173 riders up from 149 last year, Sheparton had 185, Eagle Park 279 up 8 from 271 last year. Thredbo hold the record 364 in 2007-08 it should be interesting to see this years numbers at Thredbo which by all rights should be above 360. The average national downhill numbers have been 176 in 2005-06, 256 in 2006-07, 269 in 2007-08, 249 in 2008-09.

If the UCI idea goes to plan and the number of elite riders trying to get UCI points should be either above 79 at Thredbo in 2007-08 or the record of Illinbah in 2007-08 and 2008-09 of 107.

What is the purpose of the national downhill series? To please riders, to choose a national team, to make money, to provide UCI points so our riders can compete internationally, to provide a venue so riders can say they are the best in Australia?

pak

Likes Bikes
What is the purpose of the national downhill series? To please riders, to choose a national team, to make money, to provide UCI points so our riders can compete internationally, to provide a venue so riders can say they are the best in Australia?[/QUOTE]

You got it right first up, TO PLEASE THE RIDERS. Even if you get 70-100 pros that leaves the majority 300 odd who pay $150 to ride the best track.. Buy the way no race has ever started at Kareela before

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
*snip ... The target UCI course length is 2-5 minutes and MTBA is now running our national series as UCI categorised events- the main reason for this is so that riders can earn UCI points to get them to world cups. This also encourages international riders to race here in their off season chasing points. Therefore we must fit international standards- and rightly so if we are to act as a breeding ground for future world cup riders. In my opinion the course so far this season (Adelaide and Shep really) have been TOO SHORT, this is the feedback I have got from most riders and thus the feedback I have passed onto MTBA in my reports.

I haven't ridden Thredbo in a few years now so can't really safely comment on the track itself, but I will say that I think we should be aiming to keep tracks within the international standard length- without sacrificing the riding experience of the individual track. 7 minutes is too long for a national series race.
Good answer that ...

Notwithstanding ... MTBA prolly should have communicated the track shortening and general logic behind it ... before rego/nominations ... still a very valid plan IMO.

Presuming of course short tracks will actually be lengthened or eliminated ... to match the logic (I'll leave the likelihood of that to the reader's imagination / optimism),

In the end it doesn't cut out the most memorable bits anywho ... so still worth the effort ... if you like paying to time yourself whilst riding your bike with +300 other people.