Thredbo Valley Trail & Crackenback Resort - Anyone Ridden the trails recently?

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys

Taking the family up to Crackenback this weekend and have the opportunity to go for a ride or two.

I'd like to know peoples experiences on the Thredbo Valley Trail as a loop starting from Crackenback. What is the climb like from Crackenback to Thredbo? I'm not the worlds fastest climber but is it much worst than anything Canberra can throw at you? I ride a 120mm/100mm XC bike. Whilst I suck at climbing I love ripping descents.

Also are the Crackenback or other Thredbo Trails worthy of a roll around?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

JP

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crackenback trails are nice. Fun, some hills, but not much struggle. Beautiful views of the river and mountains as well. From there up to Ngarigo its a bit more hilly with some slippery, gravelly bits, but the trail is wide and more in the bush than at the village. Above that I have not ridden the new trail, just the road, but the river does not lose elevation very fast below Thredbo and I believe the river crossings are spectacular. I'd say even kids could handle it with a bit of spare time. You will enjoy it a lot. Take a camera. Lots of critters too (maybe snakes as well).

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Kyle

Yeah its just me. Its only really the climb from Crackenback to Thredbo that concerns me but looking at the profile in your strava it doesnt look as bad as I had thought.
Yeah man, it really wasnt that bad hey... very gradual.

I got a hot tip for you though... dont have a handful of beers when departing crackenback. You'll feel like shit by the time you hit the 3km to Thredbo mark...

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Yeah man, it really wasnt that bad hey... very gradual.

I got a hot tip for you though... dont have a handful of beers when departing crackenback. You'll feel like shit by the time you hit the 3km to Thredbo mark...
Note taken. I had a couple before a ride last week the first 15 minutes were fine but the next hour wasn't much chop.

I'm liking the idea of doing the climb first.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was there last week with the family. Did Thredbo down to Crackenback and back on tuesday, with about 5km of the resort trails in between. Trail is nothing tricky, most of it is really a walking track. It doesn't feel like it's really a downhill trail on the way down as it's pretty much rolling the whole time, but you do notice it is climbing a bit headed back to Thredbo. I took 3 hours for the loop with a couple of short stops, but I am a pretty crap climber. Left at 3pm and did need lights for the last bit of the return. had close encounters with a huge roo and some dear as well.

I was going to take my 8 tear old son on the down leg later in the week but weather didn't help, but that should give you an idea of how the trail is.