Three Ring Circus – Run & Won - Great Event

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, so not a lot of flat eh, you're either going up or down.

Cheers guys looking forward to it.

Cephas

Squid
If you have been down that way before there is a Red, Yellow and Blue loop that are marked out for year round use.

The fling covers bits of the Red and Yellow loop.

This ride does all 3 loops in turn.

Red is the hardest, and I've seen families with young kids doing the blue loop.

chops007

Likes Dirt
with 600ppl entered 600ppl riding through lush forest.... im wondering how many are gona run/ride away with the circus?????

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode the track yesterday. Blue is flat fireroad. Red is some fireroad with bits of sweet single track. Yellow is very smooth fireroad with some hills.
29er dually was overkill, wish I had a HT for this one. Might even take the road bike haha!
I pity you guys on your singlespeeds, open fireroads followed by some hills is not my idea of fun with one gear!

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Oh, I thought there was a fair percentage of singletrack..? The blurb kind of sounded like that, but maybe I had my rose-coloured glasses on. I guess those in teams with one rider doing the 1st and 3rd loop (moi) will be entirely fireroad, and the lucky duck doing the middle red loop will have the single. We'll see - hopefully it's not alllllll fireroad for the 1st+3rd-loopers?

Last edited:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Okay, so have never done the back half of the highland fling (only the first 50km) how does the full 50km for the three ring compare to the front half of the highland fling?

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, I thought there was a fair percentage of singletrack..? The blurb kind of sounded like that, but maybe I had my rose-coloured glasses on. I guess those in teams with one rider doing the 1st and 3rd loop (moi) will be entirely fireroad, and the lucky duck doing the middle red loop will have the single. We'll see - hopefully it's not alllllll fireroad for the 1st+3rd-loopers?
Maybe half the red lap is ST? I don't have a computer so it's hard to tell.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay, so have never done the back half of the highland fling (only the first 50km) how does the full 50km for the three ring compare to the front half of the highland fling?
I would say this is harder than the Half Fling. More hills?

Newton

Likes Dirt
4.2 mm of rain today , Wingello's not fun when it's wet or tacky, hope the westerly (currently - WNW 24km/h) dries things up over nite. cya there bright and early tomorrow :D

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
4.2 mm of rain today , Wingello's not fun when it's wet or tacky, hope the westerly (currently - WNW 24km/h) dries things up over nite. cya there bright and early tomorrow :D
Track will be nice after the rain... keep the dust down and bind the sand a bit.

Newton

Likes Dirt
The day was great - better than great it was awesome, Wild Horizons now how to organise an event, the setup was first class, thanks to Huw and the team. The weather gods were kind, the track was fast, the racing was keen, and all enjoyed what was a memorable first 3 ring circus. :D

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A very well run event. While the course might not be the most exciting there is enough to keep most people going.

Does anyone know how he guy who crashed on the first descent on the Red Loop is? Or who the helicopter came for?

Kudos to Wild Horizons...Huw, Fiona and team run a top event.

I teamed with Knopey...he did the blue and yellow and I did the red loop.

I really enjoyed my loop...good mix of single track and fire trails, but so much sand...was Wingello a beach once?

Helicopters were a concern, but I never actually saw anybody in one...I nearly got blown over by one of them taking off, but it was empty save for the crew. I did see the man down on the first Red descent, and also a guy nursing what might have been a broken arm.

Having never competed in an organised event before, I'm pretty happy...the vibe was fantastic, the organisation slick and the facilities superb.

Not sure whether it's normal, but I regularly found myself randomly chatting to people and they were all friendly...all similarly paced and out for a good time. It made such a difference to my enjoyment, so thanks!

This was a bit of a training event before Mogo, and I'm glad I didn't do the 50km...I could have, but am happy that I didn't.

Matt

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
You should have done the full 50km for training for Mogo. Mogo doesn't seem to have the easy kms like the three ring and it is either up or down. I hurt a lot after Mogo.