Thule roof rack issues

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes
Wombat. The tension wrench is new. Bought yesterday to check these bolts. It was 2to2.5 turns of the bolts under the required torque. I can't get a torque setting but by feel it was pretty loose.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Wombat. The tension wrench is new. Bought yesterday to check these bolts. It was 2to2.5 turns of the bolts under the required torque. I can't get a torque setting but by feel it was pretty loose.
Cool, my point was that it seems odd that you'd crack something with 4Nm, unless that something that in the wrong place, or clearly not meant to take that sort of pressure.

On the other hand, just because it's new, doesn't mean it's correct. May be worth seeing if you can scrounge another unit to compare it too, or maybe just do up a bolt with a dead weight on an allen key, and figure out (roughly) the torque you've applied, then compare that with the wrench.

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes
Wombat. The ension wrench is new and of a very good quality. It comes with a certificate of Calibration that states @ 4Nm on the wrench it has an Actual Reading of 3.91Nm so i have no reason to believe it is wrong.

I don't think the trim cracked from the tention put on the bolts. I think it is from the rubber deforming. I'm thinking the foot pack or rubbers are wrong or faulty and have expressed this to Thule as a possable reason.

Hopefully all will be revealed and fixed Tuesday when the Thule Sales Rep brings replacement parts to compare and try for fittment.

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes
Had some parts replaced yesterday. new foot pack. Hopefully it will fix the problem. The rubber feet seem quite a bit harder than the old ones. Might have been because the old ones were in the sun all day.

Interestingly the thule rep that fitted the parts didn't use a tension wrench. I offered mine to him but he refused the offer. Said he never uses one. The tech guy from thule h/o said it was very important to use correct tensions when I spoke to him last week.

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes
So here's the latest update.
Thule rep came out a week ago and replaced the whole roof rack system with a new one as they have no idea why they keep coming loose.
They replaced them with a new model wingbar. It's the latest and greatest, quieter,etc,etc.
He fits them up and then goes to put on my bike racks and the wrap around brackets don't fit. The bars are to wide. He wants to fit them using T bolts but I need to be able to easily remove the bike rack as I put a kayak on the roof and don't want to have to pull apart the racks to remove the T bolt every time.
Not a problem he said. I'll post you the wrap around brackets.
Well a week later I get an email. The brackets aren't available. So now I can't attach my bike racks.
This is becoming a bad joke.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So here's the latest update.
Thule rep came out a week ago and replaced the whole roof rack system with a new one as they have no idea why they keep coming loose.
They replaced them with a new model wingbar. It's the latest and greatest, quieter,etc,etc.
He fits them up and then goes to put on my bike racks and the wrap around brackets don't fit. The bars are to wide. He wants to fit them using T bolts but I need to be able to easily remove the bike rack as I put a kayak on the roof and don't want to have to pull apart the racks to remove the T bolt every time.
Not a problem he said. I'll post you the wrap around brackets.
Well a week later I get an email. The brackets aren't available. So now I can't attach my bike racks.
This is becoming a bad joke.
It takes longer to get the bike racks off with the wrap around brackets than it does with the T bolts so I'd just use them. ;)

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes
Turner.
To take off the bike rack maybe. But then there are bolts sticking up.
To take the T bolts out and put the rubber back is a pain.
I'm seriously thinking a refund and another brand could've the way to go. They have been helpful but also frustrating.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Turner.
To take off the bike rack maybe. But then there are bolts sticking up.
To take the T bolts out and put the rubber back is a pain.
I'm seriously thinking a refund and another brand could've the way to go. They have been helpful but also frustrating.
Disagree with the tacking the T bolts in and out being a pain as you just loosen them off a little and slide them out the ends still attached to the bike rack - well you do on the sets I have. Putting the rubber in is pretty effortless too (in my opinion).

Most people I know are able to fit two bikes and a kayak on the roof of an Outback/Liberty at the same time so it also may be worth looking at your arrangement on the roof.