Thule T2, Saris CycleOn, and Yakima Holdup bike racks?

Fraz

Likes Dirt
I am looking at investing in a decent bike hitch rack for the back of the car and the three i have come across is the Thule T2, the Saris CycleOn Pro and the Yakima Holdup. All seem similar in design and how the bike is mounted.

Does anyone own or had any experience with any of these racks? Are they easy to use? Are they durable and will they last?

Check out the Sicklines.com review of the 3 racks to see what I'm talking about:
Hitch Mount Tray Style Rack Roundup

Last edited:

F1234K

Likes Dirt
I have the Thule roof racks which use the same mounting system as the T2.

They are really good in that they are solid as hell, but be careful of the front arm that holds the wheel. If you put it too close to your forks it can scratch them. It's a metal bar with some padding, but the padding doesn't seem to be enough to stop it scratching. Luckily it's at the hight of the lowers and not the stanchions.

Fraz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for your reply F1234K. How do you find using the rear wheel strap on your rack? Have you found that it scratches your rim at all?

wombat

Lives in a hole
I have the Thule roof racks which use the same mounting system as the T2.

They are really good in that they are solid as hell, but be careful of the front arm that holds the wheel. If you put it too close to your forks it can scratch them. It's a metal bar with some padding, but the padding doesn't seem to be enough to stop it scratching. Luckily it's at the hight of the lowers and not the stanchions.
It can do worse than scratch, I've seen one (albeit with worn foam padding) tear a brake line on a set of 888s.

It's a nice fast mount setup, but personally I think I prefer the frame clamp on racks like the G2,

Beej1

^ Ditto. Would like to get one of these 3. Also wouldn't mind knowing of any Aussie Yakima retailers - I've contacted the distributor but got no response.