Ticketable offence

S.

ex offender
FrEeRiDiNg-KiNgY said:
Hmmm well then the cops involved could be in a bit of shit! It doesnt really seem like it was needed to use lights and sirens... it wasnt exactly a emergencey was it.......
True, but then again it doesn't sound like they caused massive inconvenience to heaps of people, so it's probably another case of "they're being dicks but it's too minor to worry about".

stooge

Likes Dirt
Im pretty sure riding with out hands is illegal because your not in full control, 1 hand is ok.

S. said:
Nope, they have to PROVE that you don't have proper control of the bike. If you can turn and stop whilst wheelying, they can't do anything. Stopping isn't hard, it just involves jamming on the brakes, turning is a bit more difficult but definitely possible.

I know a guy who got booked for that, but couldn't actually get done cos he demonstrated that he could safely stop and turn whilst on one wheel.
This is interesting, but once again it does come under some kind of law about not being in full control because of 'stunting' or 'trick' riding, hey S. sounds interesting, know any more about it?.

Stooge

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
If you were caught doing a mono on a motorbike on the roads, it is classified (at least in WA) as reckless driving, and gives you a three month vacation from driving/riding. A bike is really no different in the eyes of the law (road going vehicle using the road), so legally it would also be classified in the same way?
A friend of mine years ago lost his license mono'ing his 750....police were impressed with it, but still took him to court.
So I suppose the moral of the story is that it is probably illegal, and use a bit of common sense; see a cop, put it down & ride nicely. No need to provoce the law, cause they'll win most times...

G-Man

Likes Dirt
dude !!!

tell them where to go ..

as far as the law is concerned ..
it is an offence to do it on a "Motorbike" not a pushy

it's neg driving on a "regestered vehicle" ,, not an unrego'd one ..

so untill the government pulls the finger out and makes us get
rego and gives us proper enforcable rights as vehicles ..

they can go jump ..
only thing we have to watch out for is private property and the
likes ( usualy sinage " Don't Ride "posted ) ..

if it happens again drop the fromt wheen hit the fronts and nose
wheelie up to them and ask What's wrong officer ,, have i commited
an illegality ,, what is it exactly .. be interesting to see what they
come up with ..

catch yas G-man outy

hutchy

Likes Dirt
for the record,

last time I asked a cop (who's a mate), riding no hands or riding on one wheel on bicycle is a 'finable' offence. the law states the at least one one hand has to one the bars at all times and that both wheels must remain on the road at all times. you can also be fined for riding recklessly which I guess could be applied to doing wheelies or manuals under certain circumstances.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Wow G Man, that was great advice to all the riders out there who aren't sure of what the law is.
Unfortunately, everything you said was wrong.
Easy way to find out is go and ride like that in front of the coppers and see what happens to you.

dazonic

Likes Dirt
if you want to ride on one wheel, buy a unicycle
I was mucking around on my unicycle in the car park of the pub across the road, and a paddy wagon full of cops pulled up and goes "where's ya helmet?" real smug like. I said "surely not..." he's like "yep". I sorta went :?, then wheeled off...

G-Man

Likes Dirt
Cruz said:
Wow G Man, that was great advice to all the riders out there who aren't sure of what the law is.
Unfortunately, everything you said was wrong.
Easy way to find out is go and ride like that in front of the coppers and see what happens to you.
Done Daily !!!

So i put it back to you ..

What "exact" Laws / sub laws and or statutes were being broken ,,
as my police mates can't tell me as they were unaware you could issue "traffic offences" ( they are rookies )
to unregistered vehicles other than DUI // DUNI // Helmet offence..
( driving under influence // Driving under narcotic influence )

trust me folks i could be wrong ,, sorry if i am ..

i'm surounded by Police stations in the sutherland area and i haven't
had any problems and i ride everywhere all the time ..
most of it being a bit of crazy style action ( hucks , stairs , Wheelies & the likes ) and i've never been pulled ..
lucky i guess from what your saying ,, or maby the police in my area are
actualy looking for criminals and not cyclists ..

i supose if your not being a total TOOL about it you wouldn't be spoken to v-often about your riding habbits and the wrongs there of ..

but forums are for your 2 cents and that's what you got ,,
mine ,, again sorry if i'm wrong but that's freedom of speach
for ya ..:twisted:

catch yas G-man outy

genie

Likes Bikes
Glock said:
genie, highway cops are real cops too.

i'd say that that particular female officer was on a power trip.
yea that could b true but regualr cops call high way patrol cockrocachs

thats cuz they dont beleive that highway patrol actually do real cop stuff hehe and when they r alone rip up the road...

this was told to me by my mates dad who used 2 b a pig himself...

yea the truth is most cops r just doin wat they do and thtas to serve the community.

naz

Criminally Inane
i got the exact same its a joke, next they will have tickets for putting a foot down at the lights, law, joke,joke, law,joke law

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Hmm.
I think some people are making it more complicated than it is.

From my experiance in the world it always comes down to 1 thing.

What is their perceived duty of care (Cops, Rangers, Teachers etc.).

If you do something infront of them (say a wheelie) the cop might pull you over because they perceive that THEY would be held accountable if you caused an accident. Doing something like that right infront of them, often forces their hand, because they don't have the excuse that they didn't see you.

Say if you did a wheelie in front of the cop, the cop did nothing, another person saw that the cop did nothing- you caused an accident and the person lodges a complaint with the police dept./ media that the cop let this person continue doing the activity that resulted in the accident.

End result?

The cop is in the shit, bigtime! (we are talking Career bigtime, depending on how bad an accident you cause).

You do a wheelie infront of a cop, and they might not want to, but they kinda have to pull you over to protect their own arse.

Simple solution, the cop just "happens" to look the other way while you ride past (like previously mentioned). I have had this happen many times as a bicycle courier, especially if you make an half arse effort to kinda stop whatever questionable act is you are doing (the cop might not know if wheeling is illegal, but members of the public might perceive it as illegal), all the cops need you to do it not to force their hand by being so blatant and in their face, you might ride for fun, but their job is their career and they have to look after it.

Travis
(who knows of cops who ride as well, but has come accross my fare share of cops having good days and cops having bad days......)[/b]

Golem

Likes Bikes
j5ive said:
Fuck- Is tickitable even a word?
Tickitable may not be a fuckin word, but fuck is a tickitable word

all police THAT DISRESPECT BIKERS should be made to spend the nights in jail
(allow your imagination to run free for a few seconds here)

Seriously tho that is a really bullshit shitty law