Tightarse people - share your stories here

murrum

Banned
The little bro is quite the tightarse. My favourite is a story from a surf trip in South Africa. He was fairly skint, so would do a bit of fishing to keep him in food. nothing wrong with that at all.

The best bit was him rocking up to the nearest village in a fairly remote part of the coast. He'd set up a stall in the dirt along the roadside next to the local fisherwomen and try to flog his catch layed out on his board bag. Apparently the locals had a mixed reaction to a skinny whitey setting up shop.

actually - maybe this is less tightarse and more entrpreneur...

Last edited:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
  • I tip the hose when I fill the motorcycle.
  • I but my 17" motorcycle tyres S/H from the local racers and nurse them till they are past legal.
  • I only boil as much water as needed, or put the rest in a thermos for later.
  • I go through the tyre pile at the bike shop for part used tyres and patch the side wall cuts. I also grab the left behind parts people upgrade and never return to collect.
  • I ride from home rather than drive to ride.
  • We eat a lot of dahl and rice.
  • +1 for "If it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow."
  • I always take my lunch.

It's only because both my wife and I are studying at uni and we have 3 kids to feed. I feel bad because we went to the pub after a ride last week, a mate shouted me a drink and I couldn't return the favour.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
a lot of "tightarse" stuff is, in my opinion, just plain sensible.

i cut my own hair

i walk places that would only take me 5 mins to drive, unless it's pissing down (which, TBH, isn't rare in Coffs these last two years)

i ripped out the scraggly natives that were in my garden when i bought the place and replaced them with fruit trees and herbs

i flush when i must (years of living on tankwater teaches you this)

i only turn on the washing machine when i have a full load

i turn off lights etc all the time, only use what i absolutely need

i won't buy new when second-hand works just as well

tightarse is stealing toilet rolls from public places, taking home all the soap and shampoo from motel rooms, not offering petrol money or bringing ample food to shared barbies, and being the kind of "mate" that some of you have documented, the mate who'll never participate in a shout or offer a few $$ towards a lift.

tightarse is the boss who pulls in an excess of $150,000 a year, pays you cash in hand below minimum wage, and won't even put on a Christmas party for the staff.

or the DINK family member who expects you to stay in a motel and buy presents for all their partner's family at Christmas when you've travelled interstate to see them, because they won't come to you.

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Used to go to building sites and take their wood cut-offs, many a piece of good furniture came out of that stuff :rolleyes:

My brother went backpacking with his friends for two months. After two weeks we got a parcel, inside was all the stuff he'd decided was too heavy to carry and didn't need. All he kept was his camera gear, a shirt, shorts, two pairs of undies, and three socks!
He finished his trip in hong kong and decided eerything was two expensie there so he spent the last night sleeping on a bench and didn't eat for about 50 hours.

Last edited:

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
Why pay $6 for a red bull anyway?? They're $3 in supermarkets and skinny enough to fit in pockets??
By no means do I wear skinny jeans, but there is no chance I could fit a can of Redbull in my pockets. Just enough room to slid a flask into the back pocket. That's the reason I pay $6 for a can Redbull.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
People dont flush the toilet when they pee in it? That's wrong, think of the germs that would breed in there.
actually, urine as it comes out of the body is basically sterile. as it breaks down in air and water, it becomes ammonia and phosphates, not too much different from the fertiliser you spread on your garden. ammonia is used as a household cleaning product and in fact, diluted urine is excellent for fruit trees.

i personally can't see how it's economically viable to flush a few 100ml of urine down the toilet along with 20lt of drinking quality water, and then have to process it thru a sewage system. ever lived with a septic system or a long drop?

wombat

Lives in a hole
People dont flush the toilet when they pee in it? That's wrong, think of the germs that would breed in there.
What, you plan on going and sticking your head in there later?

I, like many others, grew up on tank water and it's pretty much ingrained in me now. If you're hydrated enough your piss will be pretty much just water anyway.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
What, you plan on going and sticking your head in there later?

I, like many others, grew up on tank water and it's pretty much ingrained in me now. If you're hydrated enough your piss will be pretty much just water anyway.
Same. Tank water, and a pit dunny!

We didn't even have a loo in the house. It was a 30 metre walk through spider webs to get to the outside dunny.
Nothing would wake you up faster than a trip to the dunny on those dark and icy Tassie mornings.

S.

ex offender
That is all.
You're a muppet, that wasn't funny, witty or even slightly relevant.

As for tightarse stories - it always makes me a bit annoyed when people buy shit tools because they think they're getting something for half price. Good tools are even cheaper, they just cost more the first time you buy them!

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My story is about a good mate.. who when you sell something to (ie: old bike parts etc) for an already stupidly cheap “mate’s rate” price, he bargains you down just that bit further.

And because your a mate you say ok just to keep him happy..

But wait that’s not all..

He then does the same for something else you may have.. so now there’s a few items he’s bargained you down.
THEN you say ok ok.. so thats $120 total.. So then he says “ill do the whole lot for $100!”

Like WHAT THE F@#$! Its like the double discount! That to me is a pure tightarse!!
Its gotten to the point now i say “ill just keep the stuff at the bottom of my closet to rust if you dont want it” just so i dont get scammed!

ps. i hope he reads this (you tightarse) haha :cool:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
. Good tools are even cheaper, they just cost more the first time you buy them!
^^ yep. good tools treated well should last a good few years. worth spending money on good (not necessarily fashionable) shoes for the same reason.

mtb1611

Seymour
I find threads such as these very amusing to read, but also disturbing. Many of you need to reassess the criteria you use to determine who your friends are as opposed to those people you know who are self-centred, conniving, bludging shitbags. Reading these tales, I can't believe how many of you are willing to be f%$#ed over by people you call "friends". Thes people are not your friends, they are parasites profitting from your hard work and good nature.

"Oh I just give in cos he's a mate". If he's doing you over, he's not a mate, he's a piece of shit. Wake up people!

Oh and shriek, substitute "she" for "he" whenever you like, you psycho feminist ;)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Oh and shriek, substitute "she" for "he" whenever you like, you psycho feminist ;)
aww, compliments!!

seriously, i agree. a real mate doesn't pull crap like that. mate's rates are one thing, bludging another. i've had a few men in my life expect free massage on tap because it's my line of work - one is ok, but this is my WORK, there is a limit as to how many i can physically do in a week. no-one is going to pay my mortgage for me if i pull up too sore to work and pay my bills...

if a mate is trading on your good nature and your friendship for their own gain, it's time to distance yourself.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah fair call but I live in QLD- we live in water at the moment. They want us to waste water ;)
Saying that, we do have a bucket in our shower so we catch the first 10-20 secs of cold water that we use to 'flush' the pee down too.

Running ghetto tubeless so I dont have to buy tubes anymore

Last edited: