time strapped training

nayto

Likes Bikes
Hi all, just curious about training for people who dont get much time per day, or are buggered after work etc...
I work on average 11-12hrs a day doing a reasonably physically demanding job at times, and often it ends up being a 14hr day by the time im home. I regularly exercise doing cycling on the exercise bike, basketball, or running but only for short amounts of time (45mins)

On the exercise bike i usually just do a quick 20kms, which takes between 29-30mins on average. Interval style doing a couple kms warmup, then buildup levels, then drop off etc. My heart rate is around 185 at the max i take it to at the highest resistance level. For running its usually a 4-5kms max. Im not the fittest bloke out there, and im not trying to win the world champs, i just train to make the enduro events i go in a bit more enjoyable, usually 50km events.

I know what im doing is obviously better than nothing at all, but What im asking is, do u think this amount of training that im doing is beneficial for endurance events or should i try and make my workouts longer? Thanks in advance

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am in a similar position and I am planning to start riding to work. while each way will only be about an hour, doing it twice a day should hopefully increase my endurance.

I would say that the biggest issue is the time spent exercising. If you are only doing up to 45 min at a time and then doing 50 km events which take 2-4+ hours depending on fitness, you are probably going to come up short. Mind you, high intensity efforts would be the best given the timeframes available.

Do you have time on the weekends to go for a longer ride? This might be enough to stretch your fitness out to last a bit longer.

Timbo83

Likes Bikes
Ive started using this book as a guide for my training this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Crunched-Cyclist-Fast-Powerful-Hours/dp/1934030473

So far so good. Im definetely getting fitter. You could read it and go through the training plans and tips it offers, then try and put together a training plan that suits you. I used a plan from the book that was designed for someone who has been riding and occasionally racing for 5+ years (which i fit into) and modified it a little to suit my timetable. Works a treat.

Theres also plans for beginners, and also for specific events (enduros etc). Good read

Raf

Likes Dirt
+1 for Carmichael's book.

The principle is, less time x more intensity = similar output to conventional training.

Its all about figuring out your Aerobic threshold and rinding intervals above or below it for certain periods of time. Im using it, and I am positive it works.

I ride to and from work as well, but now I ride hard intervals all the way.

I am riding +4 hours each weekend which is outside the books method, but I need to for the enduros.

Raf

nayto

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies fellas,
The commute to work id love to be able to do, but i cant because i have a workute full of tools. I can fit in a long ride on weekends, i occasionally do 2-3hr rides already. I'll definately look into that book though, i like the sound of that.

Raf

Likes Dirt
He says you can be race fit in 6 hours a week. No ride is longer than 150minutes and most are 90 minutes. I do mine at night (evening) or on commute (not an option for you though).

Raf

ponyrider

Likes Bikes
My regimin is almost exactly like the OPs. 3 x 30 minute indoor training sessions per week on average, heart rate running up to 180 for the final 10 mins, plus weekend riding when I can manage it. Not going to win any races, but feel quite ok throughout them.