Time to boast about your worst injuries

M@DM!KE

Likes Dirt
All F$%^ed Up

Took a corner wide on a the bitumen doing 80km/hr when i was 14yrs old. I collected a sign post on the exit of the corner. Broke 3 ribs, punctured lung, internal bleeding into lung and liver, broken leg, and the sickest bruise you have ever seen from where i literally wrapped myself around the post. It was 4 inches wide and started behind my right ear, down my neck, across shoulder blade, around my side where one of my ribs was sticking out, down my thigh to my right knee. Missed my nuts by that [------] much. I would have breathed a sigh of relief, if i could.
Also came up short doing a moto double on the mtb a few years back too. Fractured 2 vertebrae in my neck. That slowed me down for a few weeks too.

I didn't get my nickname for nothing.

aday

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was riding at Nerrina in Ballarat and was riding good and hadnt had a crash in months. Then i crashed and snapped my ankle. O'well it is better to have frequent small stacks then a once a few months big stack.

La pointe

Likes Dirt
I jumped a bit too big, too sideways, too close to the mate i was following on the last jump at Trafalgar....hit a tree and broke 6 vertebrates and 3 ribs...lucky i had a full Dainese body armor and a dainese backpack (double spine protection). I am not feeling too bad now. Movie at www.pushi.com.au (Gallery; video; ben@ traf)

Geez there is some funny stories in this thread.
Ride on

harrypowell

Banned
STP1_KID said:
i have got really clicky wrists
man i thought i was the only one!
every time i move my wrists i always hear clicked ... but i crack them as well so that could have something to do with it ...

topher

Likes Dirt
This isn't a mtb stack. It was a skating stack. I pulled a fakie 540 indie(that means going into the jump backwards)into a pyramid a glen waverly skate park, and landed straight on my arse, cracking around the joint of my hip and the top of my Phema. Nasty could walk for 6 weeks couldnt skate for 8. Took up riding instead never looked back!

Speedy

Likes Dirt
harrypowell said:
man i thought i was the only one!
every time i move my wrists i always hear clicked ... but i crack them as well so that could have something to do with it ...
is yours like in the Simpsons when Bart says after years of writing lines on the board his writst sounds like a cement mixer? Both my wrist and my right ankle do, right ankle is really bad shit all flexability. N the shoulder is starting to annoy me too when I had my collar bone plated and pinned back together (if you ever break it and its over lapping get the surgery done) so now some of the tendons in my neck are slightly slightly shorter than before so if I lean my neck too the right you can feel them come up short.

Im sure many people will agree its not the injury thats so bad it has bragging rights its the after stuff like dicky ankle and not being able to throw like the other guy said.

Drew2Ride

Likes Dirt
Good to know I not the only one that crashes :rolleyes:
Not sure if snapping my collar bone is worse than when I ate s**t down bulli and ruptured my kidney (well actually it apparently exploded on impact an I lost two filths of it) and also fractured couple of ribs and my wrist.. didn't know for couple of hours that I was bleeding inside till I took a piss, can you say freaking out, thought I was in deep then. only cost me two weeks in hospital.. that sucked balls

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I was a little un, I was tearing around an old service station on my BMX, tyres slipped out on me & I skidded out onto a main road.

Problem was, this was as a semi-trailer was passing & little me went straight under it.

Had about 6 wheels go over my bike & legs, broke both tibulas, both fibulas and both femurs (so all 6 long bones in my legs - my kneecaps & ankles were fine?)

Spent about a month in traction, then put in a 'hip spiker' which is essentially plaster from your waist to your toes. had to push myself around on a trolley (like a padded surfboard with wheels) for around two months.

Then a wheelchair for another month, then crutches while I was learning to walk again.

Some highlights were..
  • Muscle spasms at odd hours of the night with 6 broken leg bones - ouch..
  • My legs were spaced 80cm apart - the doors in my house were 80cm wide - so if I wanted to go into another room my folks had to come and tilt me through the doors.
  • Crapping in an old pan from the kitchen.
  • Peeing in an orange juice bottle.

But considering I made a full recovery, I was pretty darn lucky - it's just a good story now...

Oh yeah, and my collarbone is just recovering from being broken into three pieces last month.

Last edited:

mattvincent

Likes Dirt
i have bin riding 4 about 2 years and am lucky to find myself with no bad injuries. only a rotor burn and many cuts, brusies and a couple of mild concusions. Its mainly my pocket that gets hurt from the bike going wrong.

my worse injury in general is, well there is a few

1. bring hit in the head by my mate on his back swing with a 7 iron (golf club). leaving me with 6 stitches in my head. it was right between my temple and my eye. doctor said if it was 1cm toward my eye i would have bin nlind in that eye and 1cm in the other diredtion i would have died. so i rekon i came off good in that 1.

2. probly the dumbest idea i have had. trying to belly flop into a sand pit about 1.5m by 1.5m off a super bounce on a trampline. the edge of the sand pit was a log that was cut in half and had being stacked on the other half, so with a sharp edge. i landed with my head on the side log leaving a cut across my face and 2 chiped teeth.

there is way yo many to talk about outside of riding so i wont go on. sorry to let you down not having any bike injuries that are significant enough to post, but im glad i dont and am glad i havent had any and am not planing on it, TOUCH WOOD!!!!!

fastrider gus

super huck
i think christo wins so far! crikey, that wouldnt have been the best feeling in the world... were you awake the whole time or did you pass out?

d@ve

Likes Dirt
Riding home from school in year ten, doing about 65km/h a car opened it's door right in front of me, did not brake at all and went straight into the door k/o'd and then the car owner made me pay for the paint damage, the prick.

Most painful though, riding to the shops on my bmx in year 10, no helmet, no shoes and only wearing boardies. I had just come back from a kayaking trip and was tired as, slipped off the pedal while going downhill, my foot went into the front wheel, locked the wheel and I flew over the bars face first onto bitumen. Injuries included: grated face(chin,brow, forehead,nose), grated hands and arms and my foot was all ripped up by the spokes, my whole body ached for days.

Speedy

Likes Dirt
fastrider gus said:
i think christo wins so far! crikey, that wouldnt have been the best feeling in the world... were you awake the whole time or did you pass out?
Yeah Christo wins hands down nobody has anything on him..well atleast people who can post here bet theres a few that gave up anything to do with bikes after they came off;)

jab

Likes Bikes
stp 2 dude smashed out his 2 front teeth doing stairs,

mine, not while biking but, i bit through my tongue at the ripe old age of 6 and was spewing blood for over an hour:eek:

Last edited:

Speedy

Likes Dirt
d@ve said:
Riding home from school in year ten, doing about 65km/h a car opened it's door right in front of me, did not brake at all and went straight into the door k/o'd and then the car owner made me pay for the paint damage, the prick.
I wouldn't have taken that, i got hit by a car in year 10 also when crossing at the light I was roling anyways cuz it was the little red man but then I wen green and i started to go again and for some stupid reason the cars get to turn infront of you at the same time. So I ended up hitting his front right corner went up across the bonnet, onto the roof then down smack onto the road. I got up and he got my details and I was shaken but still managed to argue with him at that point I saw there were scraches from my pedals on his car. He then left and went to the police station telling me I was in shit. My Dad is a teacher at the school and the police made the guy ring up and appologise to me for it. Apparently the police said to him that he should've been watching and especialy in a school zone
:) Fisrt and only time the cops have been on my side:p

Anyways the point is unless you were speeding then it is the driver that was entirly at fault and they should have paid you;)