Time to retire this helmet?

jarobo

Squid
Thanks for the feedback all. Poodle I like your method with the hammer, will definitely give it a whack or two. Turns out I actually fractured my shoulder in the fall, so you if that's an indication of the force involved, the helmet is out!

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you do retire it, I am chasing one of the visor screws so would be happy to sling you a few bucks for it.

Good luck with the shoulder.

When you do bin a helmet make sure you destroy it otherwise you get people salvaging things like that and using them or selling them on scumtree resulting in someone else taking a trip to ER

mint355

Likes Dirt
There is a lot of fear mongering when it comes to safety products, typically people saying "how much is your head/life/child worth" bla bla BS.

From the photo the damage looks pretty superficially so I'd keep on using it.
It may look fine but crash again with that helmet and it could break open like an egg.... Cut the straps off and bin it..... FFS it's a $99.00 helmet

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks for the feedback all. Poodle I like your method with the hammer, will definitely give it a whack or two. Turns out I actually fractured my shoulder in the fall, so you if that's an indication of the force involved, the helmet is out!
Don't be using my hammer the technique on your shoulder. That shit is painful enough! Good luck with recovery.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
You guys have been all brainwashed!!! Fear is a very powerful selling tactic for the uninitiated.

Only manufacturers say bin helmets after every fall, everyone else is just regurgitating this sales pitch without even realising it.

Ignore the marketing propaganda people. You need to be smarter otherwise they will rip you off ever chance they get.

Inspect the item, if found faulty bin it. That helmet has plenty of life in it.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Lol freedo Betta done the flame suit.

That looks to me like a pointed rock has done the damage. The real check is on the inside of the helmet to see if the styrofoam interior has a head shaped impression in it. If this is the case then a blow to the same area won't provide as much absorption. Because styrofoam is a one way deformation you can see it, and it would be on the inside.

It looks superficial at first glance and involving of the polycarbonate layer only.

I'd consider buying a new one, and keeping that one setup for night rides and spare use

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Freddo obviously has no understanding of the theory behind shock absorption in helmets. Visual inspection is not enough. You want to wear a fucked helmet, good luck to you. You mustn't value your brain very highly. Don't go recommending others should though.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Visual inspection is not enough. .
No, visual inspection via a photograph over the Internet is not enough - although it doesn't stop most here from giving black and white advice one way or the other.

As you have said, styrofoam is once only and does not rebound - therefore it should be deformed in order to have provided absorption rather than simply spreading the force . If that be the case, then yes a non destruction inspection is perfectly feasible.

It isn't a black and white world. Fair enough if people figure well it may be fucked and I don't feel I have the skill to determine, and what the fuck, it's a hundred bucks - that's their call, but it isn't science or logic it's emotion - and that's what insurance is all about

Flow-Rider

Burner
I wouldn't personally chance it, just throw it the bin after you make it unusable. I have thrown helmets away with a lot less damage than the one in the OP.. One of helmets I had owned, I felt the whole helmet flex under my head at impact and only resulted in a few visual external scratches. When I got home, I threw it straight into the bin after smashing it with a hammer.

redbruce

Eats Squid
It isn't a black and white world. Fair enough if people figure well it may be fucked and I don't feel I have the skill to determine, and what the fuck, it's a hundred bucks - that's their call, but it isn't science or logic it's emotion - and that's what insurance is all about
I assume you are referring to National Disability Insurance (scheme) then.

Last edited:

lucky phill

Cannon Fodder
Replace it

Hi guys
I took a stak last week after putting wider bars on and misjudged a tree and over the bars I went. The impact point wasn't my head, but rather my leg and have a bruise from hip to knee! On inspection of my helmet, at home, found a little crack thru the foam, bin it and moved on. Ready to ride again! I asked the same question, just my thoughts.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
No. Insurance in the general term - ie a helmet is insurance, airbags are insurance, leatt braces are insurance etc.
Nah, I am afraid you are completely mixing up concepts there.

Insurance is a financial concept and amounts to payments of funds if an event happens. This involves many customers and an actuary prices the policy.

Helmets, Leatt Braces etc are PROTECTION devices that MAY protect you in a crash. If you use one past a crash you may well be fine. But I will listen to the experts of this field and buy a new one off them.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Insurance is a financial concept and amounts to payments of funds if an event happens. This involves many customers and an actuary prices the policy.

Helmets, Leatt Braces etc are PROTECTION devices that MAY protect you in a crash. If you use one past a crash you may well be fine. But I will listen to the experts of this field and buy a new one off them.
Before posting on word meanings, always use google, eg "define insurance"

Meaning number 2 of insurance,

a thing providing protection against a possible eventuality.
"jackets were hung on the back of their chairs, insurance against an encounter with air-conditioning"
synonyms: protection, defence, safeguard, safety measure, shelter, security, precaution, provision, preventive measure, immunity; More

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You guys have been all brainwashed!!! Fear is a very powerful selling tactic for the uninitiated.

Only manufacturers say bin helmets after every fall, everyone else is just regurgitating this sales pitch without even realising it.

Ignore the marketing propaganda people. You need to be smarter otherwise they will rip you off ever chance they get.

Inspect the item, if found faulty bin it. That helmet has plenty of life in it.

That is some awesome trolling right there!

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going in to afghanistan we had some of the best body armour avaliable, some is still good by current standards. The helmet i went in with took a few hits from fly rock and heavy landings, but never showed signs of being too fucked up to continue service at the time, and we inspected our gear regularly. I had a look at it today after reading this, and despite the heavy kevlar outer its fucked, along with most of the armour where the padding has gone hard. Cracks are evident in the helmet foam liner, the part that takes the most of the pressure wave and distributes the force around the skull.

Ultimately the user has to be happy with their protection, asses the use/abuse, the upkeep and replacement. No one else has to rely on it, no one else's say matters a pinch of shit.

takai

Eats Squid
Going in to afghanistan we had some of the best body armour avaliable, some is still good by current standards. The helmet i went in with took a few hits from fly rock and heavy landings, but never showed signs of being too fucked up to continue service at the time, and we inspected our gear regularly. I had a look at it today after reading this, and despite the heavy kevlar outer its fucked, along with most of the armour where the padding has gone hard. Cracks are evident in the helmet foam liner, the part that takes the most of the pressure wave and distributes the force around the skull.

Ultimately the user has to be happy with their protection, asses the use/abuse, the upkeep and replacement. No one else has to rely on it, no one else's say matters a pinch of shit.
Yeah, aramids and para-aramids degrade over time, and lose their elasticity. Thats not to mention that the design of the ACH/MICH is around point force and heavy blunt force trauma, rather than continual low impact traumas. Most if not all service helmets are useless one rotation after any traumatic incidents.

Bike helmets are a slightly different design though, EPS and EPU are not elastically deformable, they offer little to no multiple impact protection past the initial traumatic event. This is due to the energy dissipation method through the foam. It also means that seemingly small impacts to the moulded shel actually have much greater unseen impact to the EPS underneath.

Hence bin it, i would say that the entire rib of the OPs Super is now suspect.