Timing

Freeo

Likes Bikes
So I am looking at doing my first DH race and am going to go practice the track.
So what are people using as a cheap timing device?

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I am looking at doing my first DH race and am going to go practice the track.
Mount a stopwatch between your top crown and bar (if you got tripple crown forks!)

driftking

Wheel size expert
There are some devices that you mount to the bar and it is just a thumb push button you add to the bar so you can just on/off with your thumb so it is a little more accurate, they are about 30-50bucks from memory.

Stop watch on the wrist is the cheapest way just take into account the few second it take to turn the watch off. For a more accurate start start the watch then wait till it reaches 5 or 10seconds and go from there. At the end just make sure you take into account the start time and the time it takes you to turn the watch off. With a good estimation you will get a idea of where you are probably at within 2-3 second range.

Then next best is the device on the bar mentioned up top this will be more accurate probably within a second.

The only other option is to go expensive with freelap type devices.

youngi

Likes Bikes
I use a $10 stopwatch taped upside-down to my bars so I can press it with my left thumb whilst riding. Doesn't look cool but works very accurately.

teK--

Eats Squid
I run Sportstracker on my phone (Android or Nokia available, maybe Iphone not sure).

It uses GPS and has auto-pause so you can start it, put it in your bag but it won't time until you are >5kph (or whatever limit you set at) and when you slow enough it pauses so you get a pretty accurate time.

Plus it tracks all your other specs expected of a GPS app and you can analyse it afterwards.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
A great one for your phone is Strava (on Android and iPhone) it'll use the gps to track your speed and log it into a map. You can look at the map later and it will tell you time between two points if you want.
Then you can even set this up as a 'segment' and do it a few times to compare result. Also it's free, so long as you have a smartphone.

cluster

Likes Dirt
A great one for your phone is Strava (on Android and iPhone) it'll use the gps to track your speed and log it into a map. You can look at the map later and it will tell you time between two points if you want.
Then you can even set this up as a 'segment' and do it a few times to compare result. Also it's free, so long as you have a smartphone.
don't know about your version of Strava but the xc riders that use it around here always end up with very unrealistic (too fast) times; If i followed them with a helmetcam on (and timed the video later) and used a timer as well, the times they get are often 15-20 seconds faster than what i'm getting when I time them. Fine for trying to get a personal best as its only against yourself (or other Strava users) but if you are going to use it to get an idea of where you will be at in a race field you may be disappointed with your actual result when compared to Strava result.
But yeah, if its for trying to get PBs it would be perfect

driftking

Wheel size expert
don't know about your version of Strava but the xc riders that use it around here always end up with very unrealistic (too fast) times; If i followed them with a helmetcam on (and timed the video later) and used a timer as well, the times they get are often 15-20 seconds faster than what i'm getting when I time them. Fine for trying to get a personal best as its only against yourself (or other Strava users) but if you are going to use it to get an idea of where you will be at in a race field you may be disappointed with your actual result when compared to Strava result.
But yeah, if its for trying to get PBs it would be perfect
Anything GPS is always out. I use a garmin HR monitor and if I forget to turn the satellite GPS off during a stationary trainer rider but the end of the session it has said I have moved about 100meters. All I do with walk probably 10meters all up from kitchen to bike. They are not pin point accurate so you always get some variation in distance and therefore times.

freelap

Cannon Fodder
There is a reason why riders like Kintner use Freelap every day. She wants to get on the podium. If you want to find the best line, the best setup, if you are serious about finding a tenth here and a tenth there, then you need accurate timing. Otherwise, tape a sun dial to your handlebar and just go by what "feels" fast.

Best,
Christopher

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that, Mr TryingToSellProduct. You totally missed the point- kid entering his first race EVER, wants something CHEAP. I dont think tenths of a second are high on his hit list... but hey, good for you for putting shit on people who either a) dont have the money for an expensive wristwatch and stick combo or b) aren't really that concerned about being the fastest female 4x racer in the world.

udi

swiss cheese
There is a reason why riders like Kintner use Freelap every day. She wants to get on the podium. If you want to find the best line, the best setup, if you are serious about finding a tenth here and a tenth there, then you need accurate timing. Otherwise, tape a sun dial to your handlebar and just go by what "feels" fast.

Best,
Christopher
Except in reality, there are multiple points of price and accuracy between Freelap and a sundial taped to your handlebar. The sportcount option mentioned further up works very well for personal training (accuracy within 1s) and last time I bought one it set me back $20. Not everyone needs tenth-of-second accuracy for their application, and not everyone has the premium budget it requires.

If you want to advertise your product successfully, try being a little less condescending.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're handy with a soldering iron you can buy a $10 sports watch and solder a button & wire to the start stop button on the watch. Mount the watch on the stem, mount the button right next to your grip and you have a very accurate timer that will do 1/10ths of a second (depending on the watch obviously).

Only difficultly with this is finding a way to get it all water proof. Just buy the watch on the first page, win.