Tips for passing the Hazard Perception Test to get green Ps

arpit

Banned
Hi, I'd like to get my green Ps when I return to NSW.

To do this, I need to pass the HPT.

I tried it once before, but I failed quite badly.

According to the results, I reacted too early.

I found it difficult because of the low resolution of videos. I'd see something changing, and, unsure whether it was a pedestrian about to cross the road or a pedestrian on the footpath, I'd try and play it safe.

Obviously, this isn't the best strategy.

Further, I am unclear as to whether it requires you to potential hazards, or just actual hazards.

Does anyone have any tips for me so that I can pass next time?

Cheers.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
The missus just passed hers on Wednesday, first go. From what she said I didn't think you could react too early. She's in Melbourne this weekend. If you can wait till tomorrow, I'll ask for her tips.

arpit

Banned
The missus just passed hers on Wednesday, first go. From what she said I didn't think you could react too early. She's in Melbourne this weekend. If you can wait till tomorrow, I'll ask for her tips.
Thanks mate, I'd really appreciate it.

The problem is that the video stops as soon as you touch the screen. Thus, your car might be a little too close to the car in front.

You, being cautious, touch the screen to slow down, to increase the gap. The video stops.

You thus don't get to see the intended hazard of, say, diesel spilt on the road. The computer thinks you are cheating and doesn't give you any points.

Another scenario might be seeing a car stop on the side of the road. You need to pass it, and realise that the driver might open the door without looking. That's a potential hazard, and you press the screen to signal that you would be covering your brakes. The test doesn't like this.

thadownzkid

Likes Dirt
I did the test about 18 months ago, and a lot of my mates have done it around the same time. you're the 1st person i've heard of thats failed it mate, sorry can't help but laughing, i thought it was piss easy.

The verdict is play it safe, but not too safe. For example if your at an intersection turning right and theres a truck turning right from the other direction, you can't see behind, so don't turn until you can see. Often this is never. But things you say, like waiting for a door to open on a parked car you're passing, is being too cautious. The person in the car is sposed to watch out for you. If you see someone walking off the side of the road, thats when to slow down, although i agree it is hard to see sometimes. I think you need to indentify actual hazards, not potential ones. Hope that helps.

wtr

Likes Dirt
Another scenario might be seeing a car stop on the side of the road. You need to pass it, and realise that the driver might open the door without looking. That's a potential hazard, and you press the screen to signal that you would be covering your brakes. The test doesn't like this.
Too bad there wasn't a "honk & finger" button.;)

Their computer tests could definite use an overhaul after all these years. Less pathetic multiple choice answers and more practical scenarios would be a start. RTA/VicRoad should really get in touch with reality. They should regret giving me the license back then. I was the one who laugh out loud during the test when there was a "children's crossing around the corner" question, I picked "accelerate". And I'm on the road.:)

Hex515

Likes Dirt
Which test are you talking about?

The one to get green P's or the one to get your full license?

The green P's one is ok, you just be carefull and press the button when you see things that are noticable (eg. person crossing road). I was under the impression that you couldn't really press it too early.

If you're talking about the one to get your full license, then its alot harder. Multiple hazards, you can press it at the wrong times (to early, late, etc), which makes it abit more interesting, I haven't yet done this test but my brother has.

Good luck with it. Ask them if you can keep doing practise runs for it if you're having trouble.

jarryd1986

Likes Bikes
The test isn't too bad... mind you it took me until the third attempt the pass the first practice question....
Basically yeah, play it safe but dont overdo it. and when u get to all the right hand turns n crap, i always waited usually until it timed out unless there was a big gap.
Overall the test would be a complete piece of piss except for the RTA's revenue rasing low quality images and weirdly slow systems.
Goodluck

Many learner drivers fail in hazard perception test, mainly because of lack of knowledge about the hazard test itself.
If you understand the hazard perception test, how it works, how to score, what to look for etc, it's not at all difficult to score good in the hazard test.
What you need is lots of practice before you actually appear for the test.

For more information visit: theory-test.co.uk

Hope it helps you..

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FFS will a mod please block this guy already! How many times do we have to report him???

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
FFS will a mod please block this guy already! How many times do we have to report him???
Wow! Sorry if he's ruining your internet experience.

The reality is you have to report him only once, but seeing as how this entire place is run by volunteers who manage to do what they can when they can, you may have to wait until one of us is on line, actually sees what's going on and then has the time to make your priority match with ours.

passtest

Banned
All candidates for the driving theory test are now using the new 'touch screen computer system' to take their test. The touch screen system is easy to use. Driving theory test passing is much easier than before

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I got my hpt tomorrow and i was nervous until you said that it is quite hard to fail...
thanks lol:clap2:
Considering the amount of morons that actually get their licence, it certainly not unachieveable.

Good luck buddy. It's been a long time since I did it but Vic Roads had couple of trial simulations available on their website to get you prepared. If they're still there, I'd give em a look over.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the test about 18 months ago, and a lot of my mates have done it around the same time. you're the 1st person i've heard of thats failed it mate, sorry can't help but laughing, i thought it was piss easy. .
I laughed with you. I returned better than average on my first attempt. Thing is, it makes it pointedly easy what thing you should click on, car in front of you slams on brakes, you see lights go on. Person steps onto road, click him. It's most likely saying you're reacting too early as it's designed t avoid people clicking on every damned thing in the video to fluke the test.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
If you have full confidence in your ability to notice hazards while you drive, it's damn easy.

If you don't, don't drive.

If you do and still fail, don't drive.

Just don't click something because it's the first option, act like you're actually driving.