Tips on improving the gopro chest mount.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Wondering if anyone has some hints on reducing the rattling and banging that seems to come with the gopro chest mount.

Took it out for some trial runs today for the first time. Shot from helmet its awesome, using the seatpost mount shooting backwards was also great.

But then when I went and used the chestmount, did it up as tight as I could around my chest, had the actual mounts for the camera all tensioned off nice and tight. Yet it still rattled around like no tomorrow to the point where it was pretty much unwatchable.

Anyone got some tried and tested self-fixes for this issue?

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You need to attach a cardboard chock behind where the camera sits. It might take some playing around to get the right angle, but basically the camera will look like its pointing at your visor if your standing upright. The larger the surface area on your chest the more stable it will be.

ademb

Likes Dirt
You need to attach a cardboard chock behind where the camera sits. It might take some playing around to get the right angle, but basically the camera will look like its pointing at your visor if your standing upright. The larger the surface area on your chest the more stable it will be.
Yeah I didnt have any trouble with the angle as such, with the new firmware update you can shoot with the camera upside down and it automatically flips it and saves the footage right way up.

Ill try the chock to try keep it more stable though. See how it goes!

houli77

Likes Dirt
Yeah no need for chock just run it upside down..

it looks wrong, but pretty much 45deg forward/upward off your chest.

tighten the straps as much as you can reasonably do.

I've also had success in placing small amounts of felt inside the housing which helps reduce the gopro crackle which i think is the camera and the housing touching eachother and moving slightly when bouncing around.

Other than that, ride smooth.. :rolleyes:

also for chest i always use r4 mode. the wideangle r5 doesn't feel as good to me..

RigidMount

Likes Bikes
You might need to place a little sponge behind the mount to get it off your chest a little.
It'll help the straps work more in tension.

To see what i mean put a piece of string (or belt or anything really) across a flat surface & you'll be able to move it off the surface pretty easily.
If you put something under the string then try to pull it up - it'll be a lot harder.

It also helps if you're really pidgeon chested - LOL