Tips to make a Anthem more trail oriented

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The 2012 would almost certainly have an "Overdrive 2" headset/steerer, which is 1 1/4" at the top, rather than the standard 1 1/8". You'll have quite a challenge (but not impossible) finding a fork with that steerer. It's easy enough to accommodate a 1 1/8" though; you just need a new upper headset - top bearing, compression ring, spacers, top cap. You should be able to get a shim to pack the stem in, just ask any shop that's a Giant dealer. You can also fit a straight 1 1/8: steerer (the frame is designed for a 1 1/2" bottom) with a crown race adaptor to sit on the fork.

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
I've just put 120mm revelations on my anthem 29er, and swapped the 100mm stem for 80mm. Feels much better than stock form. Rides great too.

It is my second frame, I've been on it for about 2-2.5 years after cracking the first (usual spot - seat tube/top tube junction) But like the other guys have said, I think that resulted from me and my size (6.1 and about 100kg kitted up), planting my arse on the seat too much while bombing down hills. Yes it's also visually obvious as the weak spot on the frame. And I'm aware of it now so ride it accordingly.

dr1ver

Squid
Hey guys, just wanted to update to show tips received isn't wasted :)

Bike's now got
- Easton Haven handlebars 750mm (will probably have this cut to 730mm)
- Blackspire 30t chainring
- Shimano Zee clutch rear derailleur
- Nukeproof flat pedals
- Giant Contact dropper post
- Mavic Crossride wheels with Highroller II exo 2.3 front and Ardent exo 2.25 rear
- Raceface grips
- SLX front brakes and Elixir 5 rear (Elixir will go sooner of later)

That's probably it for now. Will get the fork serviced and just use it till it gives up. Then will look into 120mm travel fork maybe.

Thanks for the help previously!

Edit: forgot to mention it was mostly done with budget in mind...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418516305.137658.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418516330.368414.jpg

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Nice work! I've just finished making my Spesh Epic 1x10 and have fitted wide bars, a dropper and bigger tyres etc. have also fitted 120mm forks.

Can't afford a new bike and this is working pretty well for me so far.

BLUMAN

Likes Bikes
I'm onto my 2nd Anthem x frame (I assume it's a 2012 cause it was replaced in 2013 when giant weren't bring 26" anthems to Australia). I'm 75kg. My original 09' frame lasted nearly 4yrs before cracking at the seat tube and I throw it around anything that would be considered aggressive trail. It was no stranger to the DH track (with a couple b lines) at Eagle on the Hill.

It lasted 2.5yrs before warranty replacement with 120mm Reba up front (drops the head tube angle back to about 69-70 degrees),
- 90mm x 6 stem dropped 5mm with 700 wide flat bar. This puts the grips back down at the same height off the ground as a 100mm fork.
- 1x9/10, had a widget, then a G2 mini guide with bb to isgc-05 adaptor shaved to enable the maestro link to get past. Maybe with a praxisworks or wheels thread bb adaptors you might be able to install guide, but these days a NW chainring and clutch derailiuer will do the good job, but personally I hate bending chain rings, so I usually choose to run a guide or a taco if I can.
- And a needle roller bearing shock eye. The bushing wear out really quick and rattle.

I've put 1200 km on my 12' frame with the above setup minus the guide (dam press fit bb's). The Engineer in me has a theory that the frame cracking is caused or accelerated due to super stiff seat posts (I have a Thompson) so with some luck install a dropper post and you may never have any issues.