Tire imbalance? Stupid question?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Alrite dudes, this could possibly be a completely stupid question, but here goes!

Recently bought a 2012 Giant Trance, had it out at Manley dam. Encountered my first flat. Changed the tube, but since then the wheel has been un balanced!

Change the tube again today and checked the trueness of the wheel without the tyre but there's it still a un even balance in the rear!

Wheel without they tyre spins true, but it's as if there's a bulge in the tire! Is this possible!?

Can't tyres goes out of shape!? For info, they're schwalbe!

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently had a goofy landing with a low pressure tubeless tyre. NO matter what the tyre will not settle in balance despite the rim being true. My conclusion is that the tyre is stretched or warped...

Michae1

Likes Dirt
Tyre is probably not seated properly when re-fitted.

I recently had this issue when I had my first flat, the Tyre being a tubeless sucker made it pretty hard to get it to seat properly, a whack with the compressor fixed that though.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I thought the same, refitted the tire 3 or 4 times today, each time - same result! Took my time trying to ensure that it was seated properly, even tried a different tube! Still no joy!

I thinking its an out of shape tyre?

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
hard to say but a tyre will get out of shape just from impacts, scrapes on the side wall and what not.
Generally i true the tyre and not the rim (as long as your not running V-brakes for some reason?) every time i have to take the tyre off or change it I true it again. this might solve your problem?

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Yes tyres can go out of shape. Sometimes the bands inside the tyre break and the tyre may swell in that area. I have also had a tubeless tyre swell up after sealant somehow got in between the layers in the tyre. The tread if the tyre swelled up with a half golf ball size lump. Took the tyre off and it was a solid lump filled with sealant.
But I think in your case you have probably broken some of the bands inside the tyre.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Start with the simple explanation and then move to the ridiculous.

Tyre was OK got a flat tyre now 'out of balance'.

What has changed?

Tyre was taken off new tube fitted.

Solution - let some air out (not all) and ensure that the tire is seated properly on the rim and is even all around, manipulate as required (lube with soapy water if required), pump tyre up and problem will disappear.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
And if the rim is tubeless-compatible, tyres do need a bit more effort to snap them into position, even non-tubeless tyres.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Put another tyre on and see if the problem still exists.
This is the next plan. Made 3 attempts to make sure the tire bead was seated properly, I'm pretty sure it was! I'm going to pick up another tire and throw it on, see if that's the problem.

natrule

Likes Bikes
Assuming your rim is true and the inner tube is seated correctly.....check your tyre for any scratches/gashes along it's side wall. I've had issues in the past relating to this.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've had several tyres (2 were contis) that have developed a random bulge like you describe.

Not a seating issue but rather a tyre defect.

A mate has the same problem with a tyre at the moment.

Michae1

Likes Dirt
And if the rim is tubeless-compatible, tyres do need a bit more effort to snap them into position, even non-tubeless tyres.
This was my problem, a reasonably new bike, 1st flat, tubeless tyre and rim made for a frustrating time just getting the tyre back on at all!

brad353

Likes Dirt
sounds like the tyre mate, assuming you're not a complete fool and you're fitting it correctly. if anything it sounds like you've done more than enough to prove it's the tyre. question- when you flatted, was it on a square edge or did you hit something fairly hard? i'm guessing yes. as a couple of others mentioned, tyres can lose their integrity from a heavy hit or over time. i see plenty of expensive road tyres with unexplainable bulges in them after flatting. usually from something like hitting a concrete seam or sewer cover or something at speed. new tyre time.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Tyre seating fail.

I've taken to re-seating some tyres by taking them up to at least 60 psi when fitting. Riding buddy just had this issue with 26er Kenda Small Block and a Conti XKing...and I've a pair of Crossmarks 29er that won't seat properly any other way. Just pump them up hard while keeping an eye on the mold markings on the sidewall until they are even...might even take up to 80. Certainly will seat with a twang. Then drop the pressure back to your preferred setting. So far it has worked every time...

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Tyre seating fail.

I've taken to re-seating some tyres by taking them up to at least 60 psi when fitting. Riding buddy just had this issue with 26er Kenda Small Block and a Conti XKing...and I've a pair of Crossmarks 29er that won't seat properly any other way. Just pump them up hard while keeping an eye on the mold markings on the sidewall until they are even...might even take up to 80. Certainly will seat with a twang. Then drop the pressure back to your preferred setting. So far it has worked every time...
Ur spot on, spent a bit of time at it yesterday! All sorted now, although I thought the bead was seated correctly, the mold markings were uneven. Pumped it up further and worked the tyre by hand!

Cheers for the advice chaps....