tired widths

:arrow: i have always thought that when it says 26x2.5 on the side of your tired the 2.5 means how tall the knobblies are of the tire, but today i was told that 2.5 is how wide <---> they are, if thats how wide they are how can u tell how big the knobs on the tires are? or was i right? :(

lotec

Banned
bahahahhahahaha, nice one chewy, sorry chris but you but yea you were wrong, wrong WRONG!!!!!!!! :p

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't say I've ever really cared how big they were. If they look wierdly big, don't buy 'em.

_J_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i thought that the 2.5 means how wide the actual tire is where the nobbies site.

Rik

logged out
I'm tired and I'm pretty wide too... :oops:

It is width, but don't take it as gospel, as manufacturers seem to have different ideas of what an inch is, plus your rims will affect the width too.

Rik

logged out
I assume you want to know if it'll fit in your bike?
Even the companies won't know, as your rim width will determine that.
You've got to put it down to trial and error, which any decent shop should allow you to do.

Rik

logged out
That's exactly what I mean.
if the knobs are very close, and only slightly buzzing, you can usually grind them down without any major issues.
just keep in mind if you ride in clayish mud, or are prone to buckling wheels, you should go for something that has a bit of clearance to spare.

bazza

look at me
hahaha i always knew you where a dumbass! hahaha. jks man. how can you have 1411 posts and not know what the 2.5 measurment was! bloody hell. and yes 2.5 is the side to side measurement, no need to email a tyre company about it. and rik is right make sure you have enough clearence for those muddy days! wasnt there a trick with taping sandpaper to your archs/frame to stop the tyre from rubbing though? this is only in extreme circumstances though.

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HAHAHAHAHA LMFAO

OMG that was brilliant

Anyways I've actually noticed its not just mountain bike tyre manufacturers that do it. My old Yokohama 235's had atleast an extra inch on my Bridgestone Eagers, and Im almost positive i bought a motor bike tyre ( no idea too long ago) and although the width measurements were the same they still differed in size???

floody

Wheel size expert
as far as I know there are roughly 3 ways of denoting tyre size on bikes -
First would be the width across the knobs,
second would be the width of the carcass (e.g the main "bag" of the tyre, not the tread)
third would be the "diameter" of the carcass, as they are roughly round.
Motorbike and car tyre widths differ a lot due to intended rim widths, and manufacturers measuring the tread width from different points - for example the GT-radial 195mm tyres I have now are narrower than my old bridgestones, mainly because they seem to have measured the tread as it "wraps" onto the sidewall, rather than across the flat of the contact patch.