Tires explained and advice needed

mangool

Likes Bikes
After many hours researching, and fewer spent riding i've decided to make a specific thread to hopefully get some assistance.

I'm 95kg, currently riding a stumpy comp hardtail 29er, with specialized Renegade 1.95" tires.
These are not a tire I would ever buy again. I really only ride trail, and have small-time aspirations of going in events without finishing last - however i don't plan on changing my bike setup to do so. Basically, I want my bike setup and ready to go, with an emphasis on longevity and control.

- At my weight, should i consider using wider tires? Do you normally run same width tires, or should they differ front to rear?
- do you run your "faster" tire on the front or the rear, or match them?

currently i'm getting VERY frustrated trying to pedal uphill on loose surfaces running my Renegade's. I get ridiculous amounts of wheel spin. So far im thinking about either Maxxis Ardents or Maxxis Crossmarks, as i'm not too concerned about weight and i want a long lasting tire.

The ardent's are pretty popular for the level of grip they provide, but are a bit slower.
Conversely the Crossmarks are very fast, but not as grippy.

im so lost i don't know where to begin.

Likes Bikes
Hey Mangool
You need to work out where your going to do your majority of riding and what those trails are like. This will help narrow down your options. The renegade tyres are great as an XC tire super fast but aren't great on loose climbs or in very wet weather. I run them on my Epic and love them but thats because they suit the style of riding i do on that bike. I would run a wider tyre than 1.95 for most trail riding something between 2.1 and 2.3 is ideal for most trail riding. The cross marks are a good all round tyre, Specialized also does the captains which are good too. If you want more grip than those 2 then go for an ardent or high roller , or even a eskar. Also remember your tyre pressure plays a huge part in the amount of grip a tyre will give you. With a bit of experimenting with pressures you'll find one that gives enough grip without pinch flatting. hope this helps.

David56543

Likes Bikes
After many hours researching, and fewer spent riding i've decided to make a specific thread to hopefully get some assistance.

I'm 95kg, currently riding a stumpy comp hardtail 29er, with specialized Renegade 1.95" tires.
These are not a tire I would ever buy again. I really only ride trail, and have small-time aspirations of going in events without finishing last - however i don't plan on changing my bike setup to do so. Basically, I want my bike setup and ready to go, with an emphasis on longevity and control.

- At my weight, should i consider using wider tires? Do you normally run same width tires, or should they differ front to rear?
- do you run your "faster" tire on the front or the rear, or match them?

currently i'm getting VERY frustrated trying to pedal uphill on loose surfaces running my Renegade's. I get ridiculous amounts of wheel spin. So far im thinking about either Maxxis Ardents or Maxxis Crossmarks, as i'm not too concerned about weight and i want a long lasting tire.

The ardent's are pretty popular for the level of grip they provide, but are a bit slower.
Conversely the Crossmarks are very fast, but not as grippy.

im so lost i don't know where to begin.
tire pressure also matters.. less air in the tire is more grip/traction

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not too much to add other than faster tyres are typically worn on the rear, with grippier tyres on the front.

I use 75kg and using 2.1 F&R. I ride quite aggressively, but I would suggest 2.1's next time you are due to change.

frensham

Likes Dirt
See if you can buy a set of specialized Fast Track 2.1. Lovely fast tyre but with plenty of grip. They are way better than the Crossmark.

If it is grip you really want then it is hard to go past a set of Schwalbe Nobby Nics - awesome grip!

needaride

Likes Dirt
Grip up front - Maxxis high roller/high roller 2/ADvantage

Low rolling resistance out back - Maxxis Crossmark/Larsen

Sorry about the maxxis bias but you can't (generally) beat them on price.. and reliability

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
One thing that can make a lot more difference than tyre choice is weight distribution and momentum.
Make sure you have as much weight on the rear wheel as possible without lifting the front off the ground.
Also plan the climb, if there are grippy and non grippy sections make sure you use the traction where you have it to accelerate and carry more speed over the steeper / more slippery bits.

anyfin

Likes Bikes
All depends on the terrain as well.

Nobby Nic's on loose over hard pack are average at best.

On loose over hard pack, Maxis Crossmark on the back and Mavic Monorail or Rendez on the front.

great all round grip and longevity, Maxis Ignitor's front and back.

mangool

Likes Bikes
last ride was high pressure, as i was frequently on and off asphalt.
My rear renegade has minimal tread left anyway so i'd like to replace it with something else.

so many varied opinions, not helping haha.

yeah maxxis are just so affordable..

mangool

Likes Bikes
thanks all, ordered a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 for the front, due its grip, reliability, and reviews on mtbr.
For the rear, got myself a Specialized Captain 2.20 coming, apparently one of the best climbing/rolling tires going round.

excited!