Titanium 29er Hardtail

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure what it weighs but here is something that is not a Lynskey.
It has since had a Fox F29 and a titanium stem installed.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Not sure what it weighs but here is something that is not a Lynskey.
It has since had a Fox F29 and a titanium stem installed.

And you get to post a picture of it yet again. How many times is that now?
At least it is worth looking at.

Cheers
MH

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Cheers
MH
And you get to make another pointless post.
I would say we are even but I know that you are well ahead of me.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Come on Mad Hatter

Cheers
MH
what a miserable, nonconstructive comment MH. There might be five of them in the entire country, was added as a non lynskey option under the thread title - Titanium 29er Hardtail. Nice to see people posting pics with their posts for those who prefer visual stimulation. Yes I own one and would thoroughly recommend it to the the OP over anything else l have ridden. You know for the same price as many off the shelve production ti 29ers you can get a custom one built. Perfect for those of us who require specific requirements due to size/needs/riding/weight/fit/angles/strength/desire to have something unique. Does the OP have any specific requests for their frame? Here is my Blacksheep (or blacksnake) and I believe it is the 12th time it has graced the pages of the forum.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually John, it is the only one like that in Australia.
Just like yours is the only one like yours, Shannon's is the only one like his, Paul's is the only one like his, Wendy's is the only one like hers, Rach's is the only one like hers, Andrew's is the only one like his and Derek's is the only one like his.

That is the beauty of hand built ti frames like Blacksheep.
No 2 are the same.
I have seen all of the above bikes (including yours) and they are all different.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Actually John, it is the only one like that in Australia.
Just like yours is the only one like yours, Shannon's is the only one like his, Paul's is the only one like his, Wendy's is the only one like hers, Rach's is the only one like hers, Andrew's is the only one like his and Derek's is the only one like his.

That is the beauty of hand built ti frames like Blacksheep.
No 2 are the same.
I have seen all of the above bikes (including yours) and they are all different.
I hear you Sumgy....... praise be to James.

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
I appreciate everyone posting their Ti 29'ers here... gives me more of an idea of what is available...

I'm not sure if I am as flamboyant as JD with all those curves in the bike, it does like shit hot though!

Forgot to thank the post for the bike sizing website mtbfit I think it was.

There are some nice machines posted in this thread! Drool factor 9.5/10

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I just got rid of a titanium bike and got a carbon replacement. The carbon bike is better, by lots.

Certainly as far as road bikes go, I think it is a silly move, in 2011, to buy a bike that doesn't have a pressfit BB and a tapered steerer.

It is lighter, and stiffer, and has less road chatter. I never really got any of that 'magical ride' thing with any titanium bike I have ridden.

Of course, if you want a bike that is a little snowflake and have the monies, go for it. If you want a bike that performs better, I see no reason not to get one of the many options available in carbon. You also get manufacturer and dealer support, unlike whatever custom or boutique thing you got on special order, which, if it cracks (I've seen more broken litespeeds than unbroken ones), won't have any warranty stock available locally anyway.

IMO a race bike is a tool. If you want to collect fancy looking stuff, take up scale model train collecting or something. meh.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow C Dunlop, working in the bike industry must see you have to learn and regurgitate a heap of hype.
Tapered steerers and pressfit BB's are now necessary to have a decent race bike?
Pffffft!!
I have both CF and ti road bikes.
One has tapered and the other not.
I can tell no difference in stiffness between them and will take the Moots every time over the CF for racing.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
please tell us more Pizzaz - what style, modifications, its purpose - exciting!!!
Its based off a Luna Vista with similar mods as Jake Kirkpatrick's Tour Divide Racer - integrated Shelf on the front truss fork and removable rear ti rack (Although Jake's used a Stellar frame). Will probably do what Jake did and get Ti bottle cages Welded on

Planning to run Singlespeed with a centre track belt drive but the setup will be done to accommodate a Rohloff if I decide I'm not hard enough for SS. Probably use a SRAM Quarq road crank as the base for the Gates drive.

Brakes pretty standard - XX 160 F&R (easy to bleed and get parts)

Wheelset probably Crests with something like a King rear hub.

Haven't decided on the bar yet but probably a one piece bar / stem something like whats on the Luna Vista pic on their site (although might get a little extension for another hand position something like a Jones Bar)...

Supernova Infinity S dynamo (the 340g one), Plug USB headset and lights with internal cabling (basically get a wiring harness built into the frame as its put together).

Being built up to give the TDR a serious go in 2013 :)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
terrific

Its based off a Luna Vista with similar mods as Jake Kirkpatrick's Tour Divide Racer - integrated Shelf on the front truss fork and removable rear ti rack (Although Jake's used a Stellar frame). Will probably do what Jake did and get Ti bottle cages Welded on

Planning to run Singlespeed with a centre track belt drive but the setup will be done to accommodate a Rohloff if I decide I'm not hard enough for SS. Probably use a SRAM Quarq road crank as the base for the Gates drive.

Brakes pretty standard - XX 160 F&R (easy to bleed and get parts)

Wheelset probably Crests with something like a King rear hub.

Haven't decided on the bar yet but probably a one piece bar / stem something like whats on the Luna Vista pic on their site (although might get a little extension for another hand position something like a Jones Bar)...

Supernova Infinity S dynamo (the 340g one), Plug USB headset and lights with internal cabling (basically get a wiring harness built into the frame as its put together).

Being built up to give the TDR a serious go in 2013 :)
Sounds great,
Highly recommend Jones bars, BS Lonestar or Mustache or Luv Groove bars. Actually the BSMMBars would be my pick if you are running it rigid, SS and dont weigh heaps as they are very compliant - more so than any other bar. The Jones is the most comfortable and especially good for longer rides due to the useful - multiple - hand positions. I have a set of Hope on Stans SS wheelset for sale if you are interested. Well thought out build mate.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
wow 2

Cant really comment on Ti Vs Carbon for road bikes but can definitely confirm the benefits of a Ti MTB for offroad (vs a steel, carbon and alloy frame). Each to there own though - as far as what they want from there ride and depending - a Ti frame might not be the best option. Certainly there are few professional Pro riders on Ti swoopy frames on the international circuit. Pizzaz is not getting a pure XC race bike and would probably look at carbon if that was the requirement. As far as price goes - many Ti frames are not that far off many mass produced uber carbon frames - depends what you want it for. Not say Ti is better just that it is a very viable option for off road.

Of course, if you want a bike that is a little snowflake and have the monies, go for it. If you want a bike that performs better, I see no reason not to get one of the many options available in carbon. You also get manufacturer and dealer support, unlike whatever custom or boutique thing you got on special order, which, if it cracks (I've seen more broken litespeeds than unbroken ones), won't have any warranty stock available locally anyway.

I have had amazing customer service even from the other side of the planet and can talk directly to the builder. "Little snowflake" - you are just sh*t stirring now.

JD

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Getting Ti for a distance and 'play' bike... have a mass produced Carbon (Scale RC) as the 'race' bike. Best of both worlds.

Of course this doesn't mean that I can't race my play bike or play on my race bike :)

WLewis

Likes Bikes
Moots is a great option

I was making the same decision last year when I was still in the U.S. and went with a Moots. Blacksheep make some really sexy frames and other Ti builders pull together some great products (Form, Eriksen, etc.) but I went with a Moots. Coming from an engineering background I found their approach and quality control program to be exceptional. Lynskey make nice bikes but I don't really buy the helix tubing.

I know of one Moots dealer here in Melbourne. I can't say enough good things about this Mooto X RSL hardtail 29er as an XC/Enduro race bike.

photo(12).JPG