TLD A1 helmet

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at buying the TLD A1 .
If you have one what do u think . The look really comfy but allot of the reviews say they get hot for trail ridding . Im sure there not as hot as a skate lid , I use a D3 in summer without bother on the big bike . Or are they over kill ?

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tend to sweat a fair bit anyway, but do notice the A1 is hot, its not like having a oven on your head. You tend to notice more sweat coming down your face as it doesn't evaporate as well.

Great fitting I find though.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tend to sweat a fair bit anyway, but do notice the A1 is hot, its not like having a oven on your head. You tend to notice more sweat coming down your face as it doesn't evaporate as well.

Great fitting I find though.
I haven't had mine super long, but after a couple of rides I find it exactly as you described. I definitely notice that it's a reasonable bit hotter than my previous XC style helmet. However, it feels wayyyy safer, definitely not over kill, and IMO it's only a small price to pay. They're super comfortable though! Seriously night and day over my last helmet!

Last edited:

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Have had one since about Oct. While I don't feel hot in it at all I do notice that it holds a lot more sweat. If you don't push it down on your head regularly to empty the pads you will find it suddenly dropping a pile of sweat as it moves slightly on a descent.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I could end drought in a small country with the sweat that drains out of my A1 when I squeeze it against mt head...

ChopSticks

Banned
had mine for almost a year now

I have pretty short hair and by no means a heavy sweater.... but even I find it FUCKING HOT !

I tried the POC trabec and it was night and day!!!
light and best of all... there was airflow !!!

I only wear the A1 on AM tracks, or where I need the extra protection... otherwise the light roadie helmet gets used more

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the helmet had a 661 or Kali logo on it, I'll bet my ass none of the above people would have bought it. It looks like shit and is a giant step backwards from what modern helmets are trying to achieve- maximum protection with maximum ventilation. If a helmet feels waaaaaaay (quote unquote) safer it does not mean it actually is safer. To me it is a glorified skateboard lid with a few million bucks worth of marketing.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the helmet had a 661 or Kali logo on it, I'll bet my ass none of the above people would have bought it. It looks like shit and is a giant step backwards from what modern helmets are trying to achieve- maximum protection with maximum ventilation. If a helmet feels waaaaaaay (quote unquote) safer it does not mean it actually is safer. To me it is a glorified skateboard lid with a few million bucks worth of marketing.
Not necessarily true, the 661 Recon is super popular and quite similar. But name does play a role and there's nothing really wrong with that. I was about to pull the trigger on a Bell Super, but changed my mind and went the A1 as I have had exceptional experience with the D2 I've owned for the past 7-8 years, not so much with my old Bell full face. A quality product is what matters the most to me and I've only ever had a great experience with TLD helmets. Doesn't hurt that it looks great too, IMO.

My logic tells me the helmet seems safer than a light weight XC helmet which tend to just perch on the top of your head. The A1 follows all the same safety standards (exceeded them in the US and Europe, not sure about Aus), and covers a much greater percentage of the head. I don't see how you could argue that following all the safety standards and having less area to impact your exposed head to rocks, roots, whatever, can be seen as a bad thing... But what would I know, I'm no safety engineer or whatever they're called.

Last edited:

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not necessarily true, the 661 Recon is super popular and quite similar. But name does play a role and there's nothing really wrong with that. I was about to pull the trigger on a Bell Super, but changed my mind and went the A1 as I have had exceptional experience with the D2 I've owned for the past 7-8 years, not so much with my old Bell full face. A quality product is what matters the most to me and I've only ever had a great experience with TLD helmets. Doesn't hurt that it looks great too, IMO.

My logic tells me the helmet seems safer than a light weight XC helmet which tend to just perch on the top of your head. The A1 follows all the same safety standards (exceeded them in the US and Europe, not sure about Aus), and covers a much greater percentage of the head. I don't see how you could argue that following all the safety standards and having less area to impact your exposed head to rocks, roots, whatever, can be seen as a bad thing... But what would I know, I'm no safety engineer or whatever they're called.
Yep likewise, have had good experience with the D2 full face and went with them again. Plus other features on the A1 that makes it stand out from others.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The A1 certainly doesn't have the least amount of vents in comparison to other AM lids out there and its not the heaviest or the most expensive.

Looking at what helmets achieve, I would tend to look at it differently. That companies producing XC/Road helmets are trying to still meet minimum standards with as little as possible. Yes that means the helmet is stronger as it has less materials etc but still to a minimum point. Id like to see some impact testing done on various helmets.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
They look freaking ugly.
Yep!

I wish people would stop using "meets safety standards" as some sort of reasoning as to why its a good product. A $10 bucket from BigW meets the standards, for a performance helmet, it basically means nothing.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been told the Snell standards are a lot more stringent than the basic standards most countries have in place. So if your lid meets the Snell standard you can be assured it provides extra protection. Just what I was told, cant verify it personally.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I love the enduro / trail helmets (A1, Recon, the new Bell etc). They are totally specific to our thing, they set it apart from the dorks wearing XC lids that take the visors off, they have a great flat surface for extra rad looking designs and above all else, they are really comfortable. I've never gotten too hot in mine and ridden in 30 degree days for hours on end. Actually, I never get hot in a helmet unless I'm sitting still and pissing sweat and that only happens in a full face.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Apparently the issue with passing the Aus test is around the retention system and a lot of the top end Euro and US helmets fail the Aus test. TLD have made some changes for the ones that will be released here in a few weeks.

I had a huge OTB to head plant yesterday wearing an A1. Helmet has cracked in about 4 places, and it did not move an inch on my head (as far as I remember) so no complaints from me. Undecided if I will replace it with another one or try the Bell / Giro etc to see if they are any cooler.

Only other issue, with my A1 is the yellow colour is fading at a different rate on the helmet compared to he visor. Whilst I would expect some fading of bright colours over time, this is a noticeable amount in only a few months of riding.

ChopSticks

Banned
Apparently the issue with passing the Aus test is around the retention system and a lot of the top end Euro and US helmets fail the Aus test. TLD have made some changes for the ones that will be released here in a few weeks.

I had a huge OTB to head plant yesterday wearing an A1. Helmet has cracked in about 4 places, and it did not move an inch on my head (as far as I remember) so no complaints from me. Undecided if I will replace it with another one or try the Bell / Giro etc to see if they are any cooler.

Only other issue, with my A1 is the yellow colour is fading at a different rate on the helmet compared to he visor. Whilst I would expect some fading of bright colours over time, this is a noticeable amount in only a few months of riding.

Pictures of the damage??

when you say yellow....do you mean the gold glitter? Or the high gloss yellow?