TMBC Trail Building Day Next Sunday 11-9-11 12pm

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Will be there

Hi Pete et al.

I'll be down there -- a bit late though (1:30).

I've got a club whipper snipper, and my own.

I figure that we only need one? If so I will bring my own.

I'll probably bring the bike too. Some of the corners could do with some widening to allow a nice
late apex -- without going off onto the soft un-scraped soil.

The tell-tale sign of this is where there is a deep furrow in soft soil on the exit from
the corner. If volunteers keep an eye out for them -- and scrape the area
clear of soft soil where they ran off -- or widen the entry, we will get a bit better flow out of it.

Anyway, looking forward to capping this thing off -- and going on to the next plan!

Lloyd, that corner you have been working on looks great -- great potential for improving the bad corner.

Kind regards,

Matt

jock

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

Will finally be making an appearance at a build day! Have been a bit slack lately. I went for a ride down the track earlier in the week and was shocked at ho much work had been put into the track since I last went to help there. Nice work guys! I also could relate to what Matt mentioned as I found the bottom section of the extension quite tight and hard to ride fluently (might just be my rusty xc skills).

In regards to the whipper snippers I'd say we'll need at least two as there seems to be quite a bit of tidying up needed around the top of the extension and I guess it would hurt checking out any other bits further down that need a quick run over.
I've got another set of Council magnets so we can probably get another vehicle into the park (maybe Gregs ute?).

I guess I'll see you guys there, look forward to catching up.

Cheers, Jock

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
Completion of the extension

With the effort today the track is now considered finished.
There's a couple of B lines to do, some minor improvments and the thumbs up from council but the track does look very good and will be a great addition to the mtb scene in Towoomba.
Hats off to all involved from start to finish.

Last edited:

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great work to Pete and Matt for driving this again to see this track finished. Also thanks to the DH crew for turning up to give a hand and coming up with the name Turkey Slap.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Very Good

I rode UP and DOWN Turkey Slap? on the big bike this morning ....I surprised myself and made the climb, albeit in granny of course.......with the only bit unridable being that troublesome corner where MPM has been working.

It was nowhere near as difficult to climb than I had imagined it would be, it rode very well with enough spots to re-catch your breath and had enough tech obstacles to take your mind off what you were actually doing.....climbing...

On the way down I liked how the top part flowed nicely.....but,... once you crossed the piped gully I loved how it got tight and you had to pay attention. I'd refrain from cutting out anymore trees on that lower section, it flows fine and you only need a few pedal strokes to push on or to ride over obstacles like the logs etc.

The lower half reminds me of my days on dirt bikes riding tight enduro stuff......

Here's the ride up> http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/t0VAX4G_MQc and the down> http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/sm4c5gPetPM

The "I made it to the top" pic.....

Attachments

Last edited:

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode UP and DOWN I'd refrain from cutting out anymore trees on that lower section, it flows fine and you only need a few pedal strokes to push on or to ride over obstacles like the logs etc.
I was talking to Ryan this morning & he mentioned they removed a couple of the saplings mentioned by others yesterday, you're probably one of the first to ride post maintenace. Riding it after the last maintenance day there was definately a few that really broke the flow IMO.

Gripo

Eats Squid
That's great to hear.....look foward to riding with everyone.....

I was talking to Ryan this morning & he mentioned they removed a couple of the saplings mentioned by others yesterday, you're probably one of the first to ride post maintenace. Riding it after the last maintenance day there was definately a few that really broke the flow IMO.

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
I rode it this morning -- can't say I did everything as easily as Gripper.

However, I did happen to meet the Turkey -- which was interesting.
He didn't seem terribly bothered -- just watched from 25 m or so.

That's great to hear.....look foward to riding with everyone.....
Matt

axertes

Likes Dirt
I missed this. Very occasional rider here.

Hadn't hit the trails in months so I rode straight from work to Jube on Monday arvo. I was riding down Crebra and saw someone to my right. I nearly had a get-off on the steep gravelly stuff, but at the same time I saw this bloke on a Niner hardtail with a lefty fork and XC-ish gear, coming up to a switchback only feet from Crebra. I laid the bike down and said hello. He said that the trail was finished yesterday (as in: Sunday). We chatted a bit about it, and under recommendation I rode down this new trail.

Wow this is good fun! I can see that this is awesome for the dedicated XC guys, but for a noob like me it's pretty good too. Tight singletrack; the downhill's not too fast so I have time to calculate what I'm too noobish for and have to slow down/dismount for.

I didn't even get to the bottom because I had to meet someone in town so I turned around. The ride up was great because I'm not too fit, but there are enough flatter bits/obstacles that you get time to recover/get distracted, and keep going.

In my humble and noobish occasional trail rider opinion: don't cut anything wider. The tightness and the feeling of being right in the thick bush in some bits is awesome. I saw some red paint on some encroaching trees, but I disagree that they should be chopped.

There are a couple of corners that need some work not because they're unrideable, but because I think they'll erode pretty badly. One in particular: reddish dirt, sharp switchback with a B line built. The dirt's pretty loose. Dunno if that's a good enough description...

But yeah, I'd like to contribute to the finishing touches, even if I kinda missed the boat on most of the work. So let me know if there's another 'working bee' kinda thing. I can contribute myself and a mattock. If you're desperate maybe my neighbour will lend me a brushcutter, if I can strap it to the motorbike.

I'd appreciate a PM if there's something on, so I don't have to keep checking back.

Cheers,

Geoff

Last edited:

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Regarding the trail width I do not think there will be any more widdening. Three trees were removed last weekend toward the bottom due to flow issues but the rest are all fine.

Regarding the corner you referred to with a B line this I believe is a work in progress. Lloyd MPM has started the corner and three of us made it wider on the weekend but I suspect it is not wide enough from peoples comments.