To be Pro or not to be...

wombat

Lives in a hole
fastrider gus said:
ill say when its all worked out.. i need to work out some stuff first.
LBZ maybe? Or you just doing charity for them?

As for the pros getting free stuff, I don't think that's really correct. They don't get anything for free! They are given bikes and equipment as a part of their JOB. Remember, riding is their profession (being where the term "pro" comes from). They are there to represent and hopefully improve the presence of a company, or number of companies. They are in essence walking talking advertisments, incredibly skilled advertisments for sure. They don't just get handed their kit though, do you think if they stopped racing (working) they would still get the stuff? (I'm referring to pro racers here, not pro freeriders; a term which is in itself a oxymoron).

It's a job people, albeit a very cool job, but a job none the less.

lindsay

Likes Dirt
Being a pro would be the best job in the world. C'mon, how good would it be to get paid to ride your bike? What could be better? Also you'd have so much more free time that you can ride with your mates whenever they're not working.

Ty

Eats Squid
i'm still waiting for Jared to comment on this topic, considering is the only actual "pro" here i'd like to hear what he has to say about putting his body on the line for the team.

but your deal isn't too bad either Lindsay.

lindsay

Likes Dirt
You still have to remember that the majority of the pros are racing because they love it. They want to achieve the best they can. They are not just racing to get good results for the team. The teams are there to help riders achieve their goals and in return they get some good publicity along the way.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd like to be a pro........if it ment women would pay me for sex.

Seriously, i know a few pro MXers and a few pro Snowboarders, it's not all fun and games, it's alot of work to stay at the top of your game. I imagine being a MTB pro wouldn't be any easier. So many things to consider apart from simply riding your bike.

toodles

Wheel size expert
I dunno - pro would be hell cool but I use bikes now to escape the stress of work and all that guff - what would I do if I was sponsored. It might be overkill riding for work AND play...

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
I tried dh racing for fun. The main reason i keep doing it is cos its the first sport ive come across where a) theres chicks who give me a bit of competition and b) i m competing for myself not the team.

As for going pro, i would love it but i doubt ill ever be good enough cos i cant afford decent equipment and more importantly i havent got enough time to practice as much as i need to. however, it does give me something to keep aiming at...

that and the fact that its a great way to scare the crap out of myself, which is generally the only thing that keeps me sane.

neko

Likes Dirt
It would be a strange life style that's for sure. Hard to even imagine what it would feel like.

I dont think it would be a bad feeling mind you :D

cools

Squid
I reckon it is how much u love the sport and want to do it. Its not worth being a pro if you are only half hearted about it, you have go to want be pro more than anything, cause there would be hard times and low lights along with all the fame and fortune.

I would love to be a pro even though i'm not good enough and probably never will be but i'm happy riding with mates. so yeah!

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Talon gets paid cold, hard cash for doing what he does... gets factory sponsorship from Monty (Spain) competes all over the country, big demos (like the Crusty's world tour), been to the "worlds", has people falling over in their rush to give him gear (adidas, armour-dillo, On-One, etc,)been in vids (like Attention) and right now he's having more fun jumping big, riding skate parks and urban and hanging onto trams up Collins St... because yep... he's working as a courier and reckons it doesn't get any better than that... no pressure and being paid to ride a bike all day everyday. So there's another kind of "pro"

Cheers

wombat

Lives in a hole
No pressure being a courier??? I know a few couriers (motor vehicle admittedly) who work for companies doing contract work (as opposed to owing their own run) and they're under a ton of pressure. If they're not quick enough they're gone. Do bike couriers really have it any easier?

Weasel

Likes Dirt
If you have the desire and funds to go pro then why not.
You cant deny the people out there that try to make it big from nothing either...
But what makes MTB what it is today is the social factor.
Going pro would be good but blasting with your mates without the stresses of the major comps is better.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
wombat said:
No pressure being a courier??? I know a few couriers (motor vehicle admittedly) who work for companies doing contract work (as opposed to owing their own run) and they're under a ton of pressure. If they're not quick enough they're gone. Do bike couriers really have it any easier?
No... Talon was talking about no pressure of having to be No. 1 everytime he turns up at a comp. Like (is it weasel?) said... riding with mates etc.