To buy or not to buy 661 Full face

anthonydd1

Likes Dirt
It's not really a good idea to buy a helmet that doesn't fit your head :confused:
Sorta defeats the purpose of wearing it IMO..

cameron_15

Eats Squid
A helmet shouldn't be a fashion statement. It is a safety device with one purpose, To protect your head!

Don't sacrifice a proper fitting and secure helmet for fashion purposes and to save a few dollars!

Also, have to say this, but have a look around locally or on australian stores websites first please.

Rue

Likes Dirt
Look fine.....Crash and the helmet does it's job or
Look Cool (Your opinion not mine) .... and crash, allowing the larger size helmet to do more damage as it will move around and not protect you.
Just either wait, or look for a new helmet.
Knowing CRC, there will always be more helmets.

ozmanick

Likes Dirt
this isn't for fashion, the other helmets just don't appeal to me, and no worries i've found another one.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
het mate, my 15 yo friend has a comp ii in Small (black) and it looks cool enough, but a bit to cosy for my liking - a medium should suit you fine. I know the white does look cool but I wouldnt worry too much about how it looks as long as it keeps you safe. And the 2011 range is out now so why not take a look at that, look sweeet and every size in stock.

And there is a sizing chart so just get someone to measure your head and match it to the size. Its just something u want to get right when buying online.

I was about to order a 2011 model comp off crc, but somone, kuuuuurrrt, had already put the order in! :rolleyes:

rone

Eats Squid
Also, have to say this, but have a look around locally or on australian stores websites first please.
At the risk of re-igniting the weekly Rotorburn LBS vs. Online debate, why? If you're sure of the size, go the cheapest deal.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
At the risk of re-igniting the weekly Rotorburn LBS vs. Online debate, why? If you're sure of the size, go the cheapest deal.
Because your starving the shops that help support us I think is the spiel.

driftking

Wheel size expert
By now im sure you have got the idea, get a helmet that fits, if it doesnt fit it wont do its job properly. you dont grow into helmets you grow out of them. you get one that fits now and when its too small you get a new one. I know you might find this expensive but its how you should do it, when buying a helmet do the following:
1.find a reputable brand that you know is good and meets the AUS standards
2.get the correct size that fits you
3.get one in your price range
4 then worry about what it looks like.(If it protects you who cares what it looks like)

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Making sure it meets Australian standards is important, or you may get pulled from the start line of races. Our standards are the highest in the world, which makes buying the right helmet from OS difficult.

- Joel

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Making sure it meets Australian standards is important, or you may get pulled from the start line of races. Our standards are the highest in the world, which makes buying the right helmet from OS difficult.

- Joel
Having said that, certain large, very well known bike shops do not sell AS certified helmets either (well, mine wasn't from a couple of years back). I was a bit disappointed as I could have bought online - The only real I was buying from a shop was for the AS sticker.

wombat

Lives in a hole

- Joel
You sure about requiring AS approval for DH helmets? I thought 2063 included a clause exempting 'race' helmets from the standard? They just need to say something like 'not safe for normal road use'.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
You sure about requiring AS approval for DH helmets? I thought 2063 included a clause exempting 'race' helmets from the standard? They just need to say something like 'not safe for normal road use'.
If you wear a non-standards-approved helmet on some types of private land or privately run land it's your business. If a race is held on that land it's up to the race promoter to allow or disallow you to race with your non-standards helmet. MTBA and CA both require Australian standards helmets to be used in their race events.

Riding on public roads or on public/government land in Australia requires an approved helmet.

I'll concede that if you buy a reputable helmet from OS it will most likely be more than sufficient to protect you from injury, my point is just one of managing detail-related disappointments when it comes to organised events.

- Joel

wombat

Lives in a hole
I'll concede that if you buy a reputable helmet from OS it will most likely be more than sufficient to protect you from injury, my point is just one of managing detail-related disappointments when it comes to organised events.

- Joel
Yeah, I think I may have not made my point properly; what I'm getting at is that there are definately some full face helmets that can be purchase from local stores, not only OS suppliers, that don't have the AS sticker on them either, I imagine due to the exception in the standard itself.