To chainguide or not to chainguide?

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
I know chainguides are totally 'uncool' at the moment but dropping a chain sucks heaps of balls.
What is the best solution?

A chainguide with just the top part like blackspire trailx?
Or a guide that incorporates top guide, tension wheel/taco like blackspire der or ethirteen lg1+?
Or just go chainless like aaron gwin??
Something that quietens down the chainslap/chatter would be nice if it did that too...
Or are we getting onto a whole different topic here of chaginng out to a shorter cage derailleur?
I was keen on going to a zee but feedback suggests a struggle complying with 11x40 cassette

Feedback on your uses and experiences greatly appreciated.

:ghost:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Fuck fashion, go the chain guide. I was running a 2 x 10 setup and dropped the chain every time I was pointing downward. I stuck a Stinger on it on the hope of keeping some tension and it did help but I still dropped the chain off the top of the chain ring. I then got rid of the 2 x 10 and stuck a narrow wide front chain ring on and have not dropped a chain since. The narrow wide is a bloody genius invention and has saved me tons of hassles.
I say go for whatever will keep you pedaling. ;)

MARKL

Eats Squid
Depends on bike, downhill bike i would still run a full chain guide. Anything else narrow wide is the go - especially where you would have considered just a top guide. On my Intense SlopeStyle, running Sram 9-speed XO rear derailleur (no clutch obviously). I was running a Hope top guide and the chain would occasionally drop and when it did it was a complete PIA. Swapped to Hope NW and the thing just stays on almost all the time, certainly drops less and it is super easy to put the chain back on as you don't have to stuff about with it jamming in the guide or any other stuff up.

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
I ride a trance and already have a NW 32T raceface front ring; I dont drop often, only once every couple of rides and it certainly isnt a pain stop to pop it back on, I usually just slam a knee or my balls if I dont realise its dropped.
Less impact to balls is better in all circumstances, more so when Wifey wants me to put a baby in her...

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
For anything bar Downhill, a narrow wide and a clutched RD should do the business for you. The Zee won't hack the 40t though (I've tried), you'll have to go medium cage.

teK--

Eats Squid
I won't ever not run a top guide again unless it's a strictly XC bike. Even NW rings with clutch deraileurs can drop chains.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Or ride like a girl.
Only dropped once with NW and clutch, that was when I forgot to turn the clutch on and it dropped between cassette and frame.

So in reality, never dropped a chain off NW with clutch.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I run a chain guide on all my bikes. Have for years and years. I feel naked and insecure riding without one. Even Moorey's unshakable faith in the narrow wide clutch cant convince me.

Also...if your wife wants a baby, you're going to have to have sex. Possibly a lot of it. The longer it takes for you to plant the seed, the more you will have. You've already said goodbye to blowjobs for the rest of your faithful life...dont give up on getting laid so easily! Bash those nuts a bit...once the baby is in there its what you're going to be doing anyway.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I run a chain guide on all my bikes. Have for years and years. I feel naked and insecure riding without one. Even Moorey's unshakable faith in the narrow wide clutch cant convince me.

Also...if your wife wants a baby, you're going to have to have sex. Possibly a lot of it. The longer it takes for you to plant the seed, the more you will have. You've already said goodbye to blowjobs for the rest of your faithful life...dont give up on getting laid so easily! Bash those nuts a bit...once the baby is in there its what you're going to be doing anyway.
^^^^That should be the text for the next magazine ad for MRP's new chain guide

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
My son and I both run 1 x 11, Him XTR, me X01
On my Sight I have dropped a chain once in 20 months. I have never considered a chain guide.
When he got his Remedy 9.9 with XTR 1 x 11 the bloody thing would drop the chain once every second ride. As he is racing at National level we did not take any chances and ran an upper chain guide. No issues since.
Cheap insurance when racing for national titles, probably not required for plonker riders like me : )

moorey

call me Mia
Or ride like a girl.
Only dropped once with NW and clutch, that was when I forgot to turn the clutch on and it dropped between cassette and frame.

So in reality, never dropped a chain off NW with clutch.
Never dropped once on Works rings, including numerous rides and a race at Buller. Many 1000's of km's done. 2 ever drops on the wolf tooth early on, but I put that down to running a 9sp chain. Never since running 10sp.

didly86

Likes Dirt
I was running nw and clutched x9 on my downhill bike for a little bit , it was pretty good but in the rocks it's wasn't up to the job .

Nw and clutch xt on my recently deceased trail bike was really good never dropped once riding at some fairy high speeds on downhill sections .

Both where 1x10 .

I think intended use is the thing to be considered .

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you just roll all the rough shit you'll have no problem just running a NW. If you actually can get in some pedaling while traversing anything more than smooth sections the chain tension and NW won't be enough and a guide will help. Add in some mud and gravity and the need increases.
One race run screwed by a dropped chain is enough reason for me to fit a guide.

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
So, I got a chainguide, because you know, fuck the hipsters, an e13 lg1+, fitted her last night.
Gear changing has been affected, not greatly, but definitely not as smooth as before fitment.
Would I be correct in assuming it is because the bottom jockey wheel on the guide lifts the chain a bit which then has pulled the RD forward, ultimately adjusting the 'tuning' of the RD?
If so, would adding a link or 2 to the chain fix this problem?
Or better yet, would switching out to a clutched med cage RD, effectively lengthening the chain again by doing so, fix my problem?

Appreciate the feedback and/or advice, fellow burners... :confused:

bike.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I suspect the answer is in the name of the part...chain guide. It is guiding the chain and thus putting some pressure on the chain line. Gear changes pull against that pressure. Just roll with it...

stirk

Burner
I've got a race face ring and have never dropped the chain when on the bike. That rear mech is not clutched is it? Clutched mech is the only way to go. I replaced my near new long cage slx shadow + with a med cage which can handle 42t cog.

Will sell you my used long cage for $100, the high cost is awesome tax as its been on my bike. My bikes awesome not me... Open to offers.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
planning on running a 1x9, running normal rear derail. * staying 9 spd -any other chain guides to consider apart from E13, anyone used the Blackspire Einfachx Chainguide BB Mount?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
planning on running a 1x9, running normal rear derail. * staying 9 spd -any other chain guides to consider apart from E13, anyone used the Blackspire Einfachx Chainguide BB Mount?
What's the frame?

There is a lot of chain guides. I have tried 4 different brands in the last year, and plenty moreckutsidecof that...e13 tends to be the best option for performance and price. I have 3 different guides just waiting for a new home...

On BB mounted guides, they can work perfect and never cause any hassles. They can also on some occasions work loose and bang/dig into your chain stay. Especially if you are doing a lot of rough riding.