To the two Down Hillers that were at Oxford Falls on the weekend...

natskis

Likes Bikes
You guys were awesome.

Thanks for all of your help.
My mate fractured his shoulder after trying a jump that he promised himself he would not do...

You helped him get to the road, kept him company while I got the car and gave us some great advice based on your experience as to getting to the hospital.

Confirmed my belief that the mountain biking community is full of great people!

Cheers!
:thumb:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Good to hear. Here's hoping your mate gets away with his injured shoulder. ;)

teK--

Eats Squid
Love hearing shit like this!

Hope your mate has a good diagnosis from the doc; I'm into my 4th week of healing a separated shoulder and hoping to be ready for race in another 4 weeks time.

natskis

Likes Bikes
He has his wedding in 5 weeks time and won't be riding before then but knowing him, he'll be back on trails when he gets back from the honeymoon.

No surgery was required so we think he'll be right for the wedding and will stave off the wrath of his missus.

No doubt we''ll all be up at oxy again soon.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
No worries mate - hope to see you all up there again soon!
If you where one of the guys who helped out, you Sir are a top guy. Its good to see this sort of stuff, being a skatepark guy for a number of years most people just laughed when others hurt themselves its always good to see people actually help out.

I dislocated my knee about 7yrs ago the guys at the skatepark laughed until they realized my foot was nearly 180degrees from where it should point.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good work to guys that helped out! Generally I've found mountain bikers do stop and help out when someone hits the dirt!

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
I'm really happy to see this post, but sorry to hear about the injured rider.

As a Paramedic of 18 years, I've been to a lot of mountain bikers who've needed medical attention. I've got to say the injured and bystanders have always been great despite the circumstances. They can be in remote locations and we can find some nasty injuries when we arrive, but the patient has been well cared for and everyone is helpful and friendly. It helps when I mention biker too.

I wish the rider a speedy and full recovery.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being around freeride and DJ trails as much as I've been, you get pretty used to carting people out. This one was fortunately just a collarbone, and he took it like a champ.

My observations:

1) Always be less stressed out than the injured guy.

2) Even if the pain sucks, better to go to a hospital closer to home if possible (and sensible).

3) If you can get to hospital without an ambulance, that's probably going to be quicker in the long run.

4) If you ride with younger dudes, try to meet their parents at the trails; introductions at a hospital with "little johnny" all broken are pretty awkward.

Also remind me of old mate below. A little while on the green whistle, and he was having a great old time (even with a broken back). I hear he recently got airlifted out of another trail - unlucky bugger.

phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpeg

natskis

Likes Bikes
Being around freeride and DJ trails as much as I've been, you get pretty used to carting people out. This one was fortunately just a collarbone, and he took it like a champ.

My observations:

1) Always be less stressed out than the injured guy.

2) Even if the pain sucks, better to go to a hospital closer to home if possible (and sensible).

3) If you can get to hospital without an ambulance, that's probably going to be quicker in the long run.

4) If you ride with younger dudes, try to meet their parents at the trails; introductions at a hospital with "little johnny" all broken are pretty awkward.

Also remind me of old mate below. A little while on the green whistle, and he was having a great old time (even with a broken back). I hear he recently got airlifted out of another trail - unlucky bugger.

It was quite funny to us because once you told us of your stories and gave us reassurance that we shouldn't just freak out and call the ambulance, my mate was more than happy to drive back out to Westmead hospital.
He lives 2 mins walk away from there as well which was very useful.

We drove back out to his house and unpacked his bike for him etc.
He got his missus to help him change and put some betadine on his knee as well cause that was still bleeding.

Once we got that sorted he told us that when he got up to the hospital, the nurses nagged him about how long it took him to get to the hospital and how he went home first and got betadine on the knee etc.

Best part was that all they did was took some xrays, he waited around for ages being thankful that he actually went home first to change into something more comfortable and clean up.

Apparently it must have cracked back in when he was putting it into the sling and they were happy with just letting him go home with some pain killers and you were 100% right about just driving to the local hospital being the best course of action.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think with common sense you can decide. I was riding with a girl who broke/dislocated a shoulder. She was able to walk out and there was no need to call an ambulance. Just jump straight in a car and head to hospital.

I think if there is any doubt that a spinal or head injury has occurred then call an ambo!

natskis

Likes Bikes
I think with common sense you can decide. I was riding with a girl who broke/dislocated a shoulder. She was able to walk out and there was no need to call an ambulance. Just jump straight in a car and head to hospital.

I think if there is any doubt that a spinal or head injury has occurred then call an ambo!
I think we all can agree that caveats need to be applied when talking about not calling the ambulance.

But the main point to take away with is that you don't ALWAYS need to get an ambulance and it's not always a better option.

Examples are the dislocated/broken shoulders/collarbones etc.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
The point is if you need an ambulance, you need an ambulance. It is particularly bad to say "I am going to drive to hospital because it will be quicker",because you are actually likely to prolong the time before expert care is provided, and you are likely to engage in risky driving behaviours.

Yep, driving a mate to hospital with a broken collar bone is fine if you know what you are doing, no argument.

markb84

Likes Dirt
I think the best course of action is to CALL 000 regardless if it is a serious injury. Let the operator make the decision as to whether an ambulance is necessary or not, they are trained to deal with the situations and will be in the best position to make calls and give advice.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be VERY careful with this. Quicker isn't always better.....

True that. But if the injury is pretty obvious (e.g. broken wrist, knee injury, need for stitches, and stuff like that) then it's nice to get the process moving. Of course, if there's a possible spinal, a head injury, or something nasty that requires medical wizardry to diagnose, best to get the experts in.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my experience you jump the queue when you arrive in an ambulance, straight to the front when it's a chopper ride. (only once thankfully). I've had some shitty long waits with broken bones when being all brave and shit and driving in. Drove home 2hrs with a busted pelvis once, that was very stupid, things we do in our youth.

Always great when you meet helpful people out on the trail.