Tom Boonen out of Tour...

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
That's f***ed. If he had green hair, could they ban him because it was bad for the Tour image?
If they can't prove Cocain has any effect on his performance it's not their concern IMO. How dare they pass judgement on someone for what they choose to do. Could anyone enlighten me as to why they should give a damn? Are only pure white lab rats allowed? Sure he's a fool for not taking it more seriously, it's not like he couldn't have waited till after his competitve carer to party. But that's still a gross invasion of his privacy.

Last edited:

stoff

Likes Dirt
That's f***ed. If he had green hair, could they ban him because it was bad for the Tour image?
If they can't prove Cocain has any effect on his performance it's not their concern IMO. How dare they pass judgement on someone for what they choose to do. Could anyone enlighten me as to why they should give a damn? Are only pure white lab rats allowed? Sure he's a fool for not taking it more seriously, it's not like he couldn't have waited till after his competitve carer to party. But that's still a gross invasion of his privacy.
I just had a read of the regulations on the UCI site, and he might be in more trouble than what is reported in the story. If they consider the Belgian authority who tested him an anti-doping agency (whether registerd, authorised, or not), then testing positive leaves him open to UCI sanction. He has signed the operation Puerto commitment, so that would be the loss of his earnings from the last two years as well as whatever bans would apply.

These Europeans just seem to love making the tour for our Aussie riders by taking drugs (performance enhancing or not).

at the drive in

Likes Dirt
If he was playing AFL it would be brushed under the carpet all the while proclaiming to have the strictest drug testing program around.

Whats worse is Belgian police raided his home plus his parents home, bit of a over reaction. Imagine if they did that to everyone who got caught on a party drug.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
the guy is a complete moron getting on the gear knowing full well that the governing body of his profession tests for these things quote regularly

carn robbie!

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour

Errr, it's against the law, and they are the law, therefore they can pass judgement. As for the invasion of privacy, had he not tested for an illegal substance there would have been no need for his privacy to be invaded.

Over here we complain when things get swept under the carpet, now we have people having a whinge when they AREN'T swept under the carpet if a cyclists is involved. Odd.

And if he had green hair then yes, he should be banned from the Tour. Because green hair is just silly.

Last edited:

placebo

Likes Dirt
Sailor got two years for the same thing. Warne got a year for a diuretic that could be used as a masking agent. It's part of being a professional athlete, and he certainly would have known this. Stupid on Boonen's part. He seems a little out of control, losing his licence as well for speeding. Here: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/tom-boonen-loses-drivers-license-again-16867

On top of being investigated in January for the supply of cocaine. Maybe he should just pull his head in and quieten down for a bit. Heading off to bat country in his Gallardo is probably something he should save for later.

clockworked

Like an orange
Think outside your own opinions. you always harp on about the man ruining utopia, but part of having conviction in your opinions is in having an insight and compassion towards others.

A lot of people in the world find drug use to be heinous, any form. Personally i have no strong feelings for or against drug use, i have no objections to what people do in their private lives as long it doesn't affect society detrimentally, and i also feel that the current views and legislations held in the english speaking world are close minded and draconian when it comes to dealing with drugs. but back to the point.
The tour is a marketing tool, and there are very few companies that are interested in having their product directly, or indirectly linked to such a social stigma. Its as simple as that.

furthermore, its not called marching powder for nothing.. cocaine IS a drug that should be considered to affect a persons performance. especially in an endurance event

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Think outside your own opinions. you always harp on about the man ruining utopia, but part of having conviction in your opinions is in having an insight and compassion towards others.
I don't do drugs, I am having compassion towards others. leave people to do what they want, simple. If they're competing,then sure, make it fair. I don't think people should be allowed to use Coke or any drug when competing, and I don't see how it would help anyone training.

A lot of people in the world find drug use to be heinous, any form. Personally i have no strong feelings for or against drug use, i have no objections to what people do in their private lives as long it doesn't affect society detrimentally, and i also feel that the current views and legislations held in the english speaking world are close minded and draconian when it comes to dealing with drugs. but back to the point.
What I was trying to say.
The tour is a marketing tool, and there are very few companies that are interested in having their product directly, or indirectly linked to such a social stigma. Its as simple as that.
Corprate control of our freedoms? F*** that, fight the power:D

furthermore, its not called marching powder for nothing.. cocaine IS a drug that should be considered to affect a persons performance. especially in an endurance event
Yeah,not fair to use while competing.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
his contract of employment would stipulate quite clearly the consequences of drug use

hes played with fire and hes been burned, so be it

nobody is untouchable

Sekt

Likes Dirt
Yeah let's be honest, professional athletes know how much scrutiny they're under. Especially for a sport like cycling, where performance enhancing drugs have had such a massive negative impact over the last few years. Sure, everyone has a right to party, but when you're getting paid a lot of money by corporate sponsors who value your image, you have that take on board the extra level of responsibility.

Bad move Boonen.

Last edited:

24seven

Likes Dirt
Puts a new twist on the idea of a gram counting roadie!

On a more serious note I don't think it's a problem for the UCI to get involved with. It wasn't during competition and it's not like it's a training aid. The organisers of the various Tours and other events could have a possible reason for banning him to distance sponsors and themselves from him. But his team and their sponsors have just extended the teams, and his contract, for 3 more years.