Too narrow? 2.25" tyre on 19mm (internal width) rim tubeless

nickdos

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking about upgrading my wheels, with the objectives of going tubeless (UST or Stans) and loosing rotational weight. My bike is a 2011 Giant Trance X2 and I'm running Maxxis Ardent 2.25 front and Ikon 2.2 rear. I've noticed the 2.25 looks "awkward" on my standard Giant wheels (19mm internal width) as it is so much wider than the rim. And I've read that when running tubeless there is a greater chance of burping wider tyres on narrow rims.

But I've read conflicting advice on whether 2.25" on 19mm rim is recommended or not. Obviously if money was no issue I'd go wider but most of the decent value wheels I've come across have 19mm internal rims (Stans being the exception at 21mm). Should I save money and just go with 19mm or fork out that bit extra for a 21+mm wheel?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It seriously makes very little difference. Its only a couple of mm. I would not worry about it. I've used Conti Race King 2.2's on 17mm, 19mm and 21mm internal width rims and can't tell the difference. Even measuring the tyre casing size difference between them the diff is only 2mm each time. But, if you're getting new wheels the Stans rims are a pretty good way to go for ghetto tubeless but if you want to use true UST tyres then I'd go with a true UST rim.

ADD

Likes Dirt
I went from 21mm to 24mm internally wide rims and am able to run lower pressures without burping tyres on hard corners. It does make a difference. Especially for running tubeless

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Thanks ADD, good link.

I personally prefer wider rims, I think I can tell the difference... but maybe it's a placebo effect.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies - I agree 2mm is probably not going to make much difference and going full UST should probably be able handle a 2.2-2.25 tyre OK. Extra width is traded off for more weight and I'm willing to go with weight and price at this stage.

I'm looking at some Fulcrum RedMetal 3 UST wheels at 1685g for $340 on Wiggle (with discount code). Can't find any Stans for anything close to that price/weight. Second hand is also an option, should be able to get 26" easily with everyone jumping on the 29er bandwagon but haven't found any yet.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm looking at some Fulcrum RedMetal 3 UST wheels at 1685g for $340 on Wiggle (with discount code). Can't find any Stans for anything close to that price/weight. Second hand is also an option, should be able to get 26" easily with everyone jumping on the 29er bandwagon but haven't found any yet.
With one of the available discount codes, $340 will get you hope hoops, delivered, with change for a beer. 2x the wheel of the fulcrum.
i got flows, the heaviest Stan's option, which are only about 1800g, but a nice wide rim.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
With one of the available discount codes, $340 will get you hope hoops, delivered, with change for a beer. 2x the wheel of the fulcrum.
i got flows, the heaviest Stan's option, which are only about 1800g, but a nice wide rim.
I previously searched for stans but didn't find much on Wiggle but just now searching for "hope hoops" brough them up - must've missed them earlie due to the various rim options for the Hopes. Yes they are cheaper, thanks for pointing these out.

moorey

call me Mia
12+EXTRA should work on those bad boys. Will bring it down to $320ish I'm guessing. I just used 10% last week and they were $334 from memory.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
12+EXTRA should work on those bad boys. Will bring it down to $320ish I'm guessing. I just used 10% last week and they were $334 from memory.
Yes, 12-EXTRA brings below $340 but they only have Flow & Crest rims left, no Arch Ex which was what I was after.