Torn ligament in ankle

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Hi 'Burners, so instead of seeking professional knowledge I've elected to go to the bottom of the knowledge totem. I 'sprained' my ankle well good. If not a Grade 3 then definitely a very very high Grade 2. 5 weeks in and its slowly slowly slowly slowly slowly healing. :baby:

So........

Can I ride...............at least ride my roadie? I'm walking, so its not much different to riding as far as what the ankle does.....?

The Doc said with this injury it can take 3-6 months to heal properly. I forgot to ask when I can start riding again.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I'll be the first to offer totally misinformed, anecdotal, intermanet advice.

I started riding as soon as the swelling went down, and I could walk comfortably on it.

bh78

Likes Dirt
Not medical advice, however, I fell off a few years back. Did a great job of my ankle - including a fracture just to top things off.

I used an indoor trainer and that helped immensely. It allowed me to progressively add pressure and regain my range of movement. This was combined with some fairly aggressive physio and hot / cold treatment.

Took me a full two years to get it right though @ 35 years young.

Minlak

custom titis
My missus who is a physioterrorist says strap it for support and ride away..... She suggested strapping in case you have to put your foot down in a hurry. Riding is riding so MTB or Road whatever's.

stirk

Burner
My missus who is a physioterrorist says strap it for support and ride away..... She suggested strapping in case you have to put your foot down in a hurry. Riding is riding so MTB or Road whatever's.
Our roads are shit.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Strap it up with a figure 6 and a stirrup which won't bother your range of motion and will stop you doing any more damage. If it hurts stop.
This is assuming you sprained it by rolling your ankle outwards which is 99.9% of sprained ankles.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
just be glad you did not need surgery! i did this about 12 weeks back!
as well as a separating the bones in my ankle!
surgery required, with a metal wire to keep both the tiba and fiba from separating

took me 10 weeks before i could ride again.

and both the gp and surgeon mentioned could e 6 months before it was what is was beforehand.. im thinking at least 12!

I have found that the bumpiness and small jumps that the landings can hurt the foot, but gettign better

yet to hit any decent trails

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I tore mine a few years ago and didn't do anything on it until the swelling had subsided to a point that I could walk on it comfortably. It's all good but it has healed in a way that has limited the movement of my ankle so walking up steep trails effectively locks my ankle from going past ninety degrees. It's slowly improving but does hurt after a few push runs. Riding is fine though!

scblack

Leucocholic
I have torn ankle ligaments a couple of times each side. Rugby has not been good to my ankles.

It is important to get the joint moving as early as possible. As Dozer has found if you just leave it you will end up with limited movement.

But that has to be a carefully managed process - some pain is good - but not pushing things far enough to aggravate the injury.

mtn_bike_geek

Super Moderator
Tore mine a few years back, took me 9 months before I was feeling 100%. It still has a wicked click noise in it now though!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Just a word of warning on this. It will muck about with your usual kinematics. I did this after a light sprain and my god it felt like some gangster had taken to the right side on my body with baseball bats. Ankle was fine however. FYI I am a chronic toe dipper on the roadie.

See a Sport physio

Hi 'Burners, so instead of seeking professional knowledge I've elected to go to the bottom of the knowledge totem. I 'sprained' my ankle well good. If not a Grade 3 then definitely a very very high Grade 2. 5 weeks in and its slowly slowly slowly slowly slowly healing. :baby:

So........

Can I ride...............at least ride my roadie? I'm walking, so its not much different to riding as far as what the ankle does.....?

The Doc said with this injury it can take 3-6 months to heal properly. I forgot to ask when I can start riding again.
I would recommend having a consulting session with a sports physio, they should be able to provide a management plan and some exercises to help your body compensate while your healing.

nicko_mx

Likes Dirt

So........

Ive lost count how many times ive sprained my ankles and my personal advice is you should start using it as soon as you can put weight on it just dont over do it.
I have had mine heal wrong before and both my ankles where toeing inwards which is why you need to use a resistance band to work the muscles to stop them from pulling one way or the other also
Strap it up with some tension on the opposite side of tear.