Torque Wrench?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Building up my never ending tool collection and have the need for a bike specific Torque wrench/driver.
Something to suit most applications, so 5Nm up.

Dont want to spend mega $$$ on one... what do you guys use?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

Flow-Rider

Burner
I didn't want to drop $224 on a Warren and Brown, they are by far one of the best tension wrenches that I have ever used. I decided to go cheap on a Toledo 1/4 inch drive torque wrench for $80, not the best idea but it does the job.

si618

Likes Dirt
Got one from cycling deal, about fiddy bucks. Nothing fancy but does the job and comes with bike specific allen and torx head sockets. Also got a big fuckoff job from Aldi for things like BB and cranks and cars and earthmoving plant.
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/bicycle-bike-torque-wrench-allen-key-tool-socket-s/VZ-F33-031
+1, probably the same as this one I got for a similar price, just rebranded.

EDIT: Nope, just checked the torque ranges and they're different (3-15NM vs 2-24NM). TBH: I've never needed more than 14NM except for BB and cassette lock ring, which are both 30+NM so out of either range.

Here's a few good tips on using them.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Building up my never ending tool collection and have the need for a bike specific Torque wrench/driver.
Something to suit most applications, so 5Nm up.

Dont want to spend mega $$$ on one... what do you guys use?
I am forever using mine on bars, stems, and brake levers. Torques for those are 5NM max. The option posted up looks good for that. I reckon you'd be missing the mark if you went for 5NM up.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Cycling deal here too.

Do people seriously torque BB's and cassette lock rings? Never done it myself and neither have ever come loose.

scblack

Leucocholic
Do people seriously torque BB's and cassette lock rings? Never done it myself and neither have ever come loose.
My understanding is that by hand, you can OVER torque a cassette lock ring. I've never had problems and just lock them as hard as I can. But having spoken to mechanics, it apparently is possible.

The only BB I've put onto my spare roadie, I did the scientific approach and just cranked it up until I felt it was good.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Cycling deal here too.

I never have but I use anti-seize on the thread of BB so that they are removed a bit easier. I suppose if you don't tighten bolts up that often you may over or under tighten them.