Total Fire Bans means stay out.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Tracks and trails in some of the National Parks round Sydney are closed on total fire ban days. Each park or reserve with closures now have the messages about closures auto populate onto the NPWS website whenever a TOBAN is declared in that region.
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/alert/state-alerts

I guess some will ignore this but for those that who would like to know this is the esiest way to find out.
Thanks for the link . Bookmarked now .

Norco Maniac

Is back!
seriously, i have no idea why some of you are being dicks in this thread. total fire ban in SA means "stay out, fuckers, this is catastrophic like brimstone and rains of fire kinda fire ban weather"

SA is not like the East Coast that i grew up on and lived in till i was in my forties. SA is Satan's tinderbox and so farking dry that you struggle to breathe in summer for fear that your nose hairs will ignite. if it rains at all in SA they call out the emergency services because they don't know why water is falling from the sky.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
seriously, i have no idea why some of you are being dicks in this thread
Purchase of everyones first MTB comes with a "rules no longer apply to me card" - similar to dog ownership.

mostly tounge in cheek statement- dont flame me too hard

moorey

call me Mia
Laws aside, I think we all possess the common sense to decide whats safe. Woke up this morning at 5am for a ride, knowing it's a TFB, but the 80km winds made up my mind for me :pout:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It does sound very bad in SA. Good luck to the people and property (and trails) down there and in Vic. I understand why Three is concerned. This sort of firestorm can spread and pop up distant to the original location. I also understand why sometimes public land is closed. When emergency services are stretched to the limit, the need to assist someone can become a problem. That's when our right to put ourselves at risk and ride our bike clashes with the strain on emergency services. So, it's a matter of respect, unless of course you know you never crash or have a mechanical deep in the bush, ever.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
seriously, i have no idea why some of you are being dicks in this thread. total fire ban in SA means "stay out, fuckers, this is catastrophic like brimstone and rains of fire kinda fire ban weather"

SA is not like the East Coast that i grew up on and lived in till i was in my forties. SA is Satan's tinderbox and so farking dry that you struggle to breathe in summer for fear that your nose hairs will ignite. if it rains at all in SA they call out the emergency services because they don't know why water is falling from the sky.
Superstitious bastards.

redbruce

Eats Squid
seriously, i have no idea why some of you are being dicks in this thread.
Hmmm, contemporary evidence of potential natural selection indicators perhaps.

Seems to have a gender bias too (but might be just due to forum population biases,...........maybe).

Hopefully not a portend of things to come.

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
The best part was the other day when I was bombing down a trail from around my house and get to the last chute to find its taped and signed off. After plowing straight through the tape, on accord of couldnt stop, turned to read the sign which said 'DANGER DO NOT ENTER BUSHFIRE.' Well would have been nice if there was something at the start but you know..

static_X3

Likes Dirt
Kersbrook and Bennets trails are fried.

Fox creek, Williamstown, cobblers and ansteys still at risk. Lucky dirt doesnt burn.

Even if it was legal here in sa... Theres no way id go riding in the Kersbrook forest on a total fire ban day. Some trails are way less risky but just go for a pedal elsewhere, or practice manuals or trackstands around home if your that keen to get on your bike.

TFB = too fucking hot to go riding for me anyway!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Kersbrook and Bennets trails are fried.

Fox creek, Williamstown, cobblers and ansteys still at risk. Lucky dirt doesnt burn.

Even if it was legal here in sa... Theres no way id go riding in the Kersbrook forest on a total fire ban day. Some trails are way less risky but just go for a pedal elsewhere, or practice manuals or trackstands around home if your that keen to get on your bike.

TFB = too fucking hot to go riding for me anyway!
In 2013 a fire tore through a section of glenrock lagoon. The dirt was baked like fired clay! Sure there is a high clay content in a lot of it...it was ducking terrible to ride for ages afterwards. No give in any of it and rough as. It took quite a while for it to soften up.

It's true though.
That's why NORMAL people leave...
Ask any normal person...they don't ride bikes. Normal people eat bad food and watch TV. I'm glad I'm not normal.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SA has been blessed with loads of Gov. $s spent on MTB trails in the last years. Opening of Cleland and Belair Nat parks in the last year ( on a 1 year trial).

Yep, sounds like a great idea to say get fucked I will ride when and where I want. Lets show those that pay for our trails we are an ignorant load of pricks who don't give a shit.

What the fuck does sharks and surfing have to do with MTB riding on TBF day? Way more people get killed driving and by dogs, horses and bees than sharks and we kill up to 10000000 sharks / year.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
OK...I have it from the highest enough authority that in terms of NSW Parks...if there's a TFB then the only reason that a Park or Reserve will be closed is if a) the fire weather is listed as 'catastrophic' or b) the park is 'popular and accessible' and therefore at risk from the sort of social fuckwits that light fires. Theirs and the RFS experience is that TFB days in NSW result in more fire incidents in accessible parks and reserves when they aren't closed to visitors.

So...once again...its not about mountain bikers.