Tour de France

stirk

Burner
Don't normally watch the tour but visiting family and they have it on.

I feel sorry for the riders having to ride on rough dusty cobblestone roads in today's stage. Surprised there are not more flats!

wilso1

Likes Bikes
The cobbles are great! You don't want to see riders crash and get injured on them (that can happen on a normal road stage, like yesterday), but last year Nibali put the others to the sword on them. He tried the same this year but it didn't split the field this time. Last night's TdF cobbles were pretty tame compared with Arenberg Forest. I rode those at slow speed last year and they really are brutal.

Pinot's second bike change was apparently due to a flat battery on his Di2, leaving his bike stuck in one gear. I wonder if the mechanic still has a job?
Pictures of the SRAM wireless set up showed detachable batteries, which would be a positive in such a scenario.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
here we go

its looking good for many of the GC riders

My personal favourite is Ryder Hesadal but expect everyone to come out swinging in the mountains
A Contador
N Quintana
C Fromme
Q Rodriegus
JC
T Pinot
even T Volkler

excuse the spelling

Most of the GC riders have strong teams- its going to be a great tour me thinks.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My personal fave is the little guy Quintana although I don't think he has the right team to carry him. I expect him to be dangerous in the future when Movistar sorts it out. Add to this there is his younger brother coming up the ranks. Could be a Columbian version of the Schlek bros!

This year, my money is on Froome. Sky is too strong of a team to ignore.

As for the cobbles, I think it adds more depth to the tdf. The mountain stages are interesting with all the guys trying to attack and some ultimately gassing hard, but on the flat early stages, it can get very boring.

JT145

Likes Bikes
Quintana has Valverde, so probably aside from Contador having Majka, the best right hand man.

At the end of the day, you don't necessarily need a team to win the tour. Cadel never had a decent team.
Froome is looking strong at the moment, but I'm still unsure.

Would love to see Contador get up though!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I was explaining the romance of the Tour to a friend. Their reply was "drugs and romance- no wonder you love it". Made me feel dirty and violated

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
i just love it for the scenery...france is fucking beautiful
men in tights sweating is the sideshow ;)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
He's still a sook at times though.
Yellow Jersey seems a bit cursed this year, with first Cancellara & now Tony Martin crashing out of the race while wearing it.

wilso1

Likes Bikes
At the end of the day, you don't necessarily need a team to win the tour. Cadel never had a decent team.
I know you've qualified it with 'necessarily', but I disagree. The only time Cadel won was when he HAD a decent team around him.

The last couple of years have highlighted, to me, that you need good form and good luck to win a Grand Tour. And that luck must extend to your team.
You could see Sky getting all cock-a-hoop when they won the TdF in 2012 & 2013. But those were the two races they really targeted, and really they've won virtually bugger all else. They've had:
- Wiggins failing to stay upright at the Giro in 2013, then retiring
- Froome crashing in last year's TdF, then 'Plan B Porte' falling ill, with both retiring.
- bad luck again for Porte at this year's Giro.
Lots of those things are beyond your control, but you have to minimise their impact to win a grand tour. And part of that is how a team helps their GC contender.

i just love it for the scenery...france is fucking beautiful
Agree. The ASO certainly know how to showcase the countryside. A fantastic marketing job.
I reckon piloting one of the TV choppers would be one of the coolest jobs ever.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The only time Cadel won was when he HAD a decent team around him.
Yeah the Schlek brothers and maybe contador as well. Best team ever. Seriously though, I rekon his team was good, but no where near as good as someone like froome/wiggins got. Cadels big gun the time trial and in particular smashing that second last stage time trial to pieces. I have no idea how he managed to get on the bike the next day.

JT145

Likes Bikes
I know you've qualified it with 'necessarily', but I disagree. The only time Cadel won was when he HAD a decent team around him
Yep I know what you're saying. I guess what I meant was that when Cadel had success, it was because he worked is arse off for it. He never had the depth around him like his rivals. You're right, when he won he probably did have his best team, but I would disagree to say that they didn't exactly carry him to Paris. Also in 2006, 2007, 2008, he fought for himself.

I also think now is harder than ever to be somewhat successful without a very solid group of guys around you, having a guy that could be highly competitive in their own right as your right hand man (Richie Porte, Valverde etc). And yes, luck plays a huge part... But you quite often make your own luck too ;)

RB 24

Likes Dirt
I have €15 euro to pay for Sylvain Chavanel for his 2016 ride. If we all chip in we could have a pro conti team.

Sure he will be riding a beat up three year old Boardman but even still we could lure Sammy Sanchez with the promise of an orange jersey a paella.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I have €15 euro to pay for Sylvain Chavanel for his 2016 ride. If we all chip in we could have a pro conti team.

Sure he will be riding a beat up three year old Boardman but even still we could lure Sammy Sanchez with the promise of an orange jersey a paella.
Luca Paolini will most likely be available to......

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Well yes he would be available.

The team doctor has been announced. It is Dr Fiat. A dear friend of the infamous doctor juice.

But on a serious note.
How do guys like Chavanel be looking at next year with currently no team? With a guy of his palmares he is more his worth than say Voeckler over the last few years.
But how do you match Sagan. I was so hoping him moving to the big s was going to be a fizzer yet alas the bugger is flying with the green jersey, the white jersey and sitting pretty in gc.

Bring on the hills.

JT145

Likes Bikes
Chavanel has a lot to prove.
Seems like he's one of those young guys who was over-hyped. Bit of a fizz.

wilso1

Likes Bikes
But how do you match Sagan. I was so hoping him moving to the big s was going to be a fizzer yet alas the bugger is flying with the green jersey, the white jersey and sitting pretty in gc. Bring on the hills.
Sagan is a good chance of wearing the green jersey all the way to Paris now. Amazing. I thought with all the Tinkoff resources dedicated to Nibali, that Sagan would have struggled with no assistance. But he's done really well.

While Froome's position looks good, the week ahead will hopefully be interesting. It's all mid- and high mountains now, and with all the other GC contenders down on time, they will have to attack Froome. And there are plenty of opportunites to do so, so hopefully we get some good racing. But if Froome is strong enough to defend, then we'll have to rely on the scenario to keep us interested.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Chavanel has a lot to prove.
Seems like he's one of those young guys who was over-hyped. Bit of a fizz.
He has had some ripper results. 15th tour I think they said.
Mind you I would run him ragged during the spring classic season and then keep him as a super domestique and flog him senseless in the tour.

I just wonder about the durability of the MTN African boys will cope with the pressure. Hope they do ok.