Touring trip no.2 - Australia!

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
In 2011 I rode my bike from Alaska to Mexico. Now that i've finished off my uni degrees and, wanting to avoid a whole bunch of responsibility, I am going to head out on another big touring ride. Should be fun. I leave in about 3 weeks and will hike the Bibbulman track in WA. I've been wanting to do this for a while. Then I am riding back from Perth to Adelaide (sorta home for me), stopping in to raid the fridge, then off around the coast to Sydney. In Sydney I will meet up with a good friend and we will ride our bikes to East Timor.

The Australian section of the route looks like this:

Screen Shot 2013-02-18 at 8.35.02 PM.jpg

Should total around ~9000km once all is said and done.

The plan after that, I think, is to get on a plane and fly to Bali, because cheap, and work our way to Hato Builico in East Timor, which my riding partner has been working to raise a bit of money for. It seems like a beautiful place and as good a destination as any. I am still looking into the best way to get to there, but it seems as if there are plenty of ferries from Ende, on the island of Flores, to Kupang in West Timor. So far all I have is an "A" and a "B" but i'll get there.

Screen Shot 2013-02-18 at 8.23.00 PM.jpg

On my last trip I took a Salsa Fargo. It was and is a good bike, but I much prefer the handling of the original, non-suspension corrected version of the bike, so I have retired it to townie duties and will take a new bike, a Surly Troll.

26in wheels are more common in SE Asia, so will be easier to source, the smaller wheels will hopefully get the bike a little lower and more balanced. The smaller wheels should also make it a little stiffer and more precise when descending under load. I also really like the design of the dropouts, the 5 bottle mounts, and have a real soft spot for surlys (the bike I did my first 24hr solo on and was a surly - never should've sold it!). I think they look cool and they are all built tough.

fm_troll_EggPlant.jpg

The key parts on it will be 36 spoke wheels built with Shimano hubs - in my view a necessity for loaded touring and a weak point on the stock build. I will use Mavic ex721 rims with a machined braking track incase I do need to use rim brakes due to a mechanical failure at some point. I wish I could find some Rigida rims locally as I have heard very good things about them and I would prefer double eyelets. I would also like a narrower rim to work a little better with narrower tyres (1.5in touring tyres can get a little squirmy on wide rims). Nevertheless, I have always had good luck with mavic rims so i'll run them. DT swiss competition spokes and brass nipples, of course.

Cable disc brakes are excellent for touring IME - they work really well on long descents and in the rain, and a pair of brake pads will last ~15,000km or so. Avid BB7s.

Titec J-bars because it is really nice to have 3 or 4 hand positions. I can't find a homepage for Titec so I guess they went bust? Dunno. I have these bars and like them heaps for touring.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres because they're the best tyre ever.

That's pretty much it for now. I'm looking forward to going on a nice hike and then grinding across the Nullarbor. Not too much in the way of off-road riding but hopefully there will be some dirt at some point.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fantastic!

Been to East Timor 4 times ( including Hauto Billico) so if you want a hand planning that bit, let me know....

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate - awesome - but why go across the centre (B-C portion first diagram), why not go up the coast? It would be uncomparibly more interesting...???

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I'd be interested to read a blog of your progress if you intend making one.
Looks like a great trip.

That is quite a challenge you are undertaking, looks great.

Please let us know of your planning progress and how the bike build is going.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Mate - awesome - but why go across the centre (B-C portion first diagram), why not go up the coast? It would be uncomparibly more interesting...???
The queensland coast is boring as batshit until you get north of Pt. Douglas, basically. Touring along the highway through airlie beach? ewwwwww.

I would really like to link up some of the classic outback roads. The map i've bodgied up isn't super accurate. From Bourke i think we will ride to Tibooburra and then onto the Strezlecki track and the Birdsville track. As far as I can tell you can pretty much keep on secondary/graded dirt roads all the way from Birdsville to Katherine...

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm more than a little in awe of you, cannot wait to read your updates along the way.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I finished doing this. It was lots of fun and you should all do something similar. It will change your life.

If you have facebook you can look at my photos here

If you don't have facebook, I'd like to ask you what it is you do with all your time?

I don't know if I have a whole lot to write about this trip. It was equally as life-changing and life-affirming as the last one, but took a few hundred pictures, and pictures are worth a thousand words, so that's a good few novels right there. If you have any questions you may ask them below.

Craig.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
My photos from my trip across the Nullarbor are in the album with my hiking trip.

Scroll down to the end if you aren't a fan of walking.

A few stats:

965km of walking in 36 days, plus 4 rest days
~8341km of bike riding in 60 days, including 5 or 6 rest days.
2 chains
1 completely flogged drivetrain
1 past-90-degree whipper when I hit a road seam coming down Mt Vic pass in the Blue Mountains in the wet, trying to put my sunnies in my jersey pocket
~5 days of rain

I really enjoyed seeing Australia in a way that not many people do, and going to places where you can't get to unless you're a silly touring cyclist, or a mad-keen fourby driver. I will treasure the memories of this trip for the rest of my life, that's for sure.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I finished doing this. It was lots of fun and you should all do something similar. It will change your life.

If you have facebook you can look at my photos here

If you don't have facebook, I'd like to ask you what it is you do with all your time?

I don't know if I have a whole lot to write about this trip. It was equally as life-changing and life-affirming as the last one, but took a few hundred pictures, and pictures are worth a thousand words, so that's a good few novels right there. If you have any questions you may ask them below.

Craig.
Sounds awesome. Your Facebook settings might be private though- there is only access to a few photos of your mug, and none of the most excellent trip. :)