tourist to mackay

bazza

look at me
anyone want to be a tour guide for me? coming down from townsville with my ride for a couple of days in holiday? anyone care to cater and show me what yous are made of? :lol:

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Give Marcia Eves a call. She is club president and will do anything to help. Most of the local shops would have her number. Her son (Aydin) is damm quick. Also try Craig Larson. Last I heard he is managing the bike section of Toys R Us in Mackay. The DH is out at a damm about 30 mins north west of town, there are cabins and camping and a little cafe that does great toasted sandwiches.

If your still in Tsv, I think that Chris Klem @ QSC should have the details.

Keith

Squid
My brother used to live at Airlie and his favourite ride was Kathu State Forrest. There is a loop at the top of the hill of about 20Km of fire roads and the trip down to the bottom is extremely fun and really long. The road is pretty well maintained so you can get some really good speed and it is accessable in 2 wheel drive cars. Strongly suggest having a driver as it would be a long ride to get to the top.

The only problems they have had is some high speed off's on the way down and one day doing the loop at the top my brother was charged by a bull. He went bush untill he crashed in some lantana and then had to just keep quite while it did a tap dance on his bike. Bent rim and the derailer was slighlty re-arranged but all fixable and could have been a lot worse.

Kathu is about 80K north of Mackay and 40K south of Proserpine.

bazza

look at me
thanks

thanks people yeah i have met ayden a couple of times...im only 16 as well so i think i might try and get in contact with him? keep the suggestions flowwing though :D :D :D :D :D oh yeah how many tracks do mackay have? dh tracks or freeride whatever

rockyash

Likes Dirt
I went and had a look at the racing in Mackay just the other weekend, the track is at Kitchant dam, thats the dam stinky was talking about. You just head west about 40kms on Nebo road and follow the signs to Kitchant dam. You wont see any mountain bike signs anywhere. Just stop and ask someone if you have trouble. There is a real nice downhill track, there were some pics of it in the forum somewhere but i cant find them now (p.m. j5ive, he has the pics) also a nice 4x track and a xc track somewhere. Its worthwhile going out for a look.
Cheers...

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there is also tracks at the weather station at the Harbour. also if you go anywhere near GRASSTREE BEACH you have to ride my old DH on the old gold mine hill. Big Dan can vouch that it is a sweet and fun ride, about 4 and a half minutes long.