toyota HIACE

WiLD

Squid
So, heres the deal
just recently got my P's and im looking at buying a new car.. ive seen some pretty pimped out Hiace's around, this got me thinking about how i would like to buy one of these vehicles. My thoughts are they seem like pretty good cars they look great and are quite practical (as you can lock away your bikes, boards or even camp in them)

Only problem is, i have no idea how they handle. so my question is does anyone on this forum own one or have previously owned one? and what are your thoughts on the car?

cheers
WiLD

rone

Eats Squid
They're practical and relatively easy to keep running. You can fit an absolute load of crap in one.

However you need to be double jointed or a gynaecologist to work on the engine, the handling is 'interesting' as you're sat over the front wheels and I'd recommend not crashing one into anything as the crumple zone is your knees.

WiLD

Squid
haha, ill leave the engine work up to my mechanic then
also if anyone looking at this thread owns one post up pictures for some ideas on what to do with mine

Phantom

Triffid Farmer
Go team Hiace.

What budget and year model are you looking at?

My 93 hiace never missed a beat in 15 years. (Sold it for a 2010 model.)

Here's my musings.
Parts are cheap and easy to get.
Engine is rock solid and simple to work on.
Buy a manual ( the book).
Buy a manual (the transmission)
Get power steer if you plan to put wider tyres on.
They actually handle well with a good set of wheels / tyres.
The offset is the same as many Ford Falcons, so are also relaively cheap and readily available.
Panel the interior and carpet it to protect the rear window panels which ding if bikes lean against it.
Remove the blind spot by installing the left sliding door window.
Install killer stereo.
Install disco ball on the middle roof member.
Comfortably sleeps two.
Profit on your investment both day and night!.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
if you want a car that 'handles' then you've picked possibly the worst vehicle in the world.

but in terms of a good first p-plater car it'd be pretty decent.

ozz

Likes Bikes
Im in a 2003(ish?) hiace every day at work. If your after a car that is nice to drive, dont get one. It is painfully slow to accelerate and cornering is scary at best.

It does carry a shitload and have a good turning circle though.

Phantom

Triffid Farmer
Im in a 2003(ish?) hiace every day at work. If your after a car that is nice to drive, dont get one. It is painfully slow to accelerate and cornering is scary at best.

It does carry a shitload and have a good turning circle though.
How much load do you have in as standard?
Mine is a 2010Turbo Deisel and it carry's 5 bikes for deliveries at most so hauls butt!
Stock wheels?
A wheel change makes a massive diference.
Just recently drove through Kangaroo valley, and was chasing motorbikes through the turns.

ozz

Likes Bikes
Yeah granted it would carry quite a bit of weight. It's petrol too. I've never been in an empty one

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Cool story, your post makes no sense at all.
:rolleyes: maybe you should pay more attention in school..

if you want a car that 'handles' then you've picked possibly the worst vehicle in the world
vans have horrible handling characteristics.

but in terms of a good first p-plater car it'd be pretty decent.
plenty of room for a decent sound system and a couch, reasonably inexpensive to run, rear wheel drive is always fun, you will learn to appreciate a more performance based car and plenty of room on the floor to get up to mischief..

was that simple enough for you Ant or do you need me to break it down some more?

Last edited:

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The newer ones are deafinetly a whole lot pluckier than the older ones, my Dads 98 petrol is ... slow. I have my P's and have driven it a fair bit, wheel spin is very easy, but they are damn sluggish off the line when they are stock. However, camping is the best in them, jsut chuck down a matress and your set. I often wish i got one, although due to a lack of decent ones on the market when i was looking, I ended up getting a 97 Subaru Liberty. Fits a fair bit of shit in it, and has a half decent amount of pull.

WiLD

Squid
What budget and year model are you looking at?
well about 10-12 grand for around a 2000 model van. except buying such a van usually has more than 120,000k's on it... should i be concerned about buying a second hand hiace with so many k's on it?

top_dog

Likes Dirt
If you value your legs, face, chest and/or life try to spring for a European van with a bonnet, like a Transporter. These European vans also have the benefit of being able to go around corners.

Hey you could even get a 2.5 L T4 Transporter which is 5 cylinder. Put an exhaust on it and it'll sound like a quattro.

WiLD

Squid
Yea there is also the hiace SBV, these have the engine sitting infront which makes it safer.. havent seen many around for sale though (either around on the streets or on the internet)

Phantom

Triffid Farmer
well about 10-12 grand for around a 2000 model van. except buying such a van usually has more than 120,000k's on it... should i be concerned about buying a second hand hiace with so many k's on it?
That's just run in for a Hiace.
Mine had 350k on it and was still going strong.

SBV's never really took off.
They were never as good as a real Van.

As for the Euro trash lovers.........
Get a price on a gearbox and/or motor rebuild.
Then double the price to have all the sensors installed and reset again as well...
Everyone I've known who went to MB / VW has had a box replaced just out of warranty. (150K ish)
My TNT courier has a MB sprinter.
He could have bought a not very old S/H Hiace for what the rebuild cost totalled. (small change from 15k)

Oh, the hiace also holds it's resale value extremely well.