TPU inner tubes. Tubolito. etc

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is anyone using TPU inner tubes? Actually running them full time, not as a spare in your pack.
Im building myself some new wheels currently, and have been eyeing off these for ages.
None of my wheels are set up tubeless, please dont tell me to just go tubeless.
These thungs are lighter than tubeless, even the heavier ones.

I am considering getting some after tax time from Revoloop (Slightly cheeper)
Just curious to how they go, how long they last before disintegrating / breaking at the valve stem. Etc

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Is anyone using TPU inner tubes? Actually running them full time, not as a spare in your pack.
Im building myself some new wheels currently, and have been eyeing off these for ages.
None of my wheels are set up tubeless, please dont tell me to just go tubeless.
These thungs are lighter than tubeless, even the heavier ones.

I am considering getting some after tax time from Revoloop (Slightly cheeper)
Just curious to how they go, how long they last before disintegrating / breaking at the valve stem. Etc

I've use Tubolight and Pirelli - both have been good. The valves can be the weak point in a way, if you take the core in an out recklessly, as you can strip the threads in the plastic. I had the Tubolights in my wife's new wheels as she did course practice at the 2018 XCO Worlds course - no dramas. But went back to tubeless ahead of final practice and race day - just because.

I did find that the tube didn't push a tubeless bead into the rim as well on my own wheels, making for an annoying hop. But if you don't have tubeless tyres/rims that have a distinct bead lock - this likely won't be an issue.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I use Tubolitos full time on my touring/gravel bike with some Tuffy tube protectors. Work just fine and you can even patch them. Also use them with Tannus armour inserts on the DH bike which lets me get away with using a lighter casing tyre to save some weight. Again no problems.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've use Tubolight and Pirelli - both have been good...
Thanks for your input. I dont see myself having to remove the valve core from them. Do you mean - strip the threads from the valve STEM while installing/removing from the rim?

Cheers @wkkie I am tempted by the cheapness of the Ridenow tubes.
10 for $91.62 , cheaper than standard tubes at retail price let alone light weight / latex tubes!
45mm valve stem is a bit long, but I can live with that I guess

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use Tubolitos full time on my touring/gravel bike with some Tuffy tube protectors. Work just fine and you can even patch them. Also use them with Tannus armour inserts on the DH bike which lets me get away with using a lighter casing tyre to save some weight. Again no problems.

Thats the answer I was looking for.
I am planning on using them in 2.5 / 2.4" maxxis on my trail bike and 2.25" vittoria's on my hardtail. My DH rims have schrader and these tpu tubes don't come in schrader do they..?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thats the answer I was looking for.
I am planning on using them in 2.5 / 2.4" maxxis on my trail bike and 2.25" vittoria's on my hardtail. My DH rims have schrader and these tpu tubes don't come in schrader do they..?
I've never seen Schrader ones. You can get plastic rim adapter from your lbs or Ali that supports the base of the Presta valve in a Schrader rim.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I've never seen Schrader ones. You can get plastic rim adapter from your lbs or Ali that supports the base of the Presta valve in a Schrader rim.

True that. Also some tubes come with a knurled nut with a step down on one side that can be flipped around to use with presta or shrader valve holes.
s-l640.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
...with a step down on one side that can be flipped around to use with presta or shrader valve holes.
Lol, well I just learned my one thing for the day. Haven't had @ashes_mtb (Shrader) valves on a bike since I was a teen, and hadn't put any thought into why the Presta valved tubes I'd bought more recently had those funny stepped edge on the nut. Ta for edumacating me @Labcanary!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I've run the tubolito ones before, but didn't really give them a good go off-road. More for commuting. I didn't have any issues, they held air and did what a tube should do...

You should be the Rotorburn test mule and give these a try...
I've got these as a spare on the frame. Haven't used it yet, so can say it has lasted quite well... :p

On a serious note, could see any glaringly obvious issues with them, as above haven't needed to use them yet.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I've got these as a spare on the frame. Haven't used it yet, so can say it has lasted quite well... :p

On a serious note, could see any glaringly obvious issues with them, as above haven't needed to use them yet.
Same, have them for both gravel and MTB as spares due to their size.
I wouldn't run them otherwise as a standard setup except for road due to the lack of stretch which makes them susceptible to snakebite punctures.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I've got a pair of Pirelli TPU tubes that I haven't used because I went with too narrow tyres for them because they were they only ones in stock.

A decade back, I tried some heavier TPU tubes from Foss. They were actually quite good but every one of them eventually failed after a couple of years by coming apart at the welded join. I wonder if the modern iteration might suffer the same fate...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
They do look handy for a spare, but I’ve never ponied up to get any.

Any time I’m putting in a tube it’s be trail/road side into a sealant covered tyre. Are these TPU tubes sealant friendly, or will they dissolve at the sight of Stan’s?