Trading section lack of pictures.

Juls

Junior Marzocchi Tech
I havnt been about much in recent years, but just getting back into it seriously.

something that's struck me as out if place however is the lack of pictures in for sale posts.

almost every other forum I visit has a trading restriction that all for sale posts must have pictures or moderators delete the post.

is this something that's been considered here? The trading section is infuriating to use with many posts lacking an image that correctly identifies what exactly is for sale and its actual condition. (Ie: not a third party picture)

forcing pictures to be posted would cut thousands of unnecessary posts and bumps every year (if not every month) in the trading section. It would also reduce unhappy buyers.

Just a thought.

cheers
Juls

Last edited:

willsy01

Eats Squid
I echo your sentiments. There is no excuse in this day and age.....the worst are the ones saying "PM me for photos" or similar. JUST PUT THEM IN THE AD YOU F*CKING WALNUT.

I've seen one forum go to the extent of having every photo of the item needing a bit of paper next to it with the user's name and the date the photo was taken. Probably a little overkill.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Pictures and putting "sold" in the title. How hard can it possibly be - take away trading access, such a pita.

scblack

Leucocholic
I agree - personally regardless, if there is no picture, I'll ignore the sale. No pics, delete it.

And SIZE - put the bloody size in.

Last edited:

DeBloot

Feeling old
yep - no pic no interest
I don't PM for pics
Why anyone would bother selling anything without pics is beyond me

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
+1 you cant be arsed taking a photo, I cant be arsed looking at the ad. Realistically these people are only hurting their own chances of a sale but its bloody annoying when I want to perv at bikes so I say delete all for sale threads without pics

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk

oriion

Likes Dirt
1) the whole "make me an offer" is bullshit.

You clearly know how much you want for the item, simply ask for it.

2) Time wasters with no money.

I put 1 item up a few days ago, I had about 10 PM's from users saying they will have the money in 3 weeks and can you hold it for me, whilst they beg, borrow and steal from their Aunties second brothers nephews cats trust fund.

Then I got 1 golden buyer, with money, ready to go - and it was that easy.

can't afford it? don't waste both of our time.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
We're working through some updates to the trading area with some info coming shortly.
The two things we are hopefully enforcing are putting SOLD in the title and including pictures in your sale. We'll accompany these new rules with some text on how to perform these two actions. Any user who doesn't put the effort in will have their trading access removed. We'll rely on you guys reporting the posts that don't have the correct info so please help out where you can. ;)

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Yes!

Specs please.
If you list a stem, seatpost, bars, whatever, take the time to add stem length and rise, seatpost layback and diameter, bar width etc.
Same goes with frames. Large, medium, 56cm? It's not hard! If you don't know, go and look at the bike before you post the ad!

Another gripe for me is that if you don't want to post an item, state that it's pickup only.
I hate wasting my time putting in expressions of interest only to be told a week later "Sorry, won't post item". Fark! I could have saved myself a week and just got one online and had it by now.

Also, shitty out of focus underexposed blurry pics taken with a phone that render the tiem almost unrecogniseable. Is it damaged? Can't tell. Is it rusty and worn? Can't tell.
Wait until the sun comes up and take a decent pic.
If you want your stuff to sell, post it like you would like to see things that you would like to buy.

Last edited:

oriion

Likes Dirt
Putting SOLD in the title after an item has sold - some people just won't do it as they have sold their item and either forget about it, or just don't care, and in some cases, don't actually know how to

The issue with it is that most people don't actually realize they have to go into the advanced options to edit the original thread title, not just edit their original thread where they cannot edit the actual title - maybe a screenshot how to guide would help. Am happy to make one even if required.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I'd be amazed if there isn't a fleet of vBulletin addons that can streamline the the trading experience.

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Yes!

Specs please.
If you list a stem, seatpost, bars, whatever, take the time to add stem length and rise, seatpost layback and diameter, bar width etc.
Same goes with frames. Large, medium, 56cm? It's not hard! If you don't know, go and look at the bike before you post the ad!
I get annoyed with lack of specs too. In addition to the above (all of which I agree with) I would add minimum specs on forks.

Of course there's all the obvious stuff like travel, axle type, straight/tapered steerer, damper type, etc but he biggest one that people leave out is steerer length - I think this is a critical one for buyers as different frames have different length requirements. Time and again when this is not provided, it's the first question that a potential buyer will ask.

Year model (if known) would be useful too.

Juls

Junior Marzocchi Tech
I'm seeing heaps of "coming soon" for pics, but soon never comes. Really need to jump on this and get the classifieds cleaned up.

Juls

my02

Likes Dirt
Until the photos rule is enforced, could we get some type of rating in place for the quality. Something along the lines of:

A1 - Could be sold as is from a showroom.
VGC - Has 1-2 very small marks, very little visible use)
Good - Has small number of minor superficial marks / scratches (not down to bare metal)
Fair - Has clear signs of use, marks, scratches (down to metal)
Poor - Looks like it was set on fire and put out with a rake.

You get the idea.

Clearly my interpretation of "very good condition" is different to others'.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
+1 for all of this...

If someone doesn't have all the details of an item they want to sell, and don't yet have pictures ready to go into their original post before they post it... they shouldn't post it at all until they've gathered all of the important details a buyer might like to know.

And of course, images STRAIGHT AWAY, not 'pics soon' or whatever...

I'd also like to see more public, in-thread trading.
Too many people do it all via PM and it keeps other potential buyers out of the loop on what's happening, or whether they should bother, etc.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the sellers generally tend to not check in or update their threads swiftly, or often enough.

This, coupled with sellers not giving enough, or adequate details... really puts me off trying to deal with these people.

It seems to me like the sale section really needs to be heavily moderated, but looking at it, it almost seems like it'd be a full-time job to tame all the half-wits trying to hock their stuff. :/

0psi

Eats Squid
It seems to me like the sale section really needs to be heavily moderated, but looking at it, it almost seems like it'd be a full-time job to tame all the half-wits trying to hock their stuff. :/
It is. It's called ebay.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Posts with no photos and those not edited properly to reflect sold are really starting to fry my freakin brain! Is it possible to write some code that won't allow a for sale post without attached photos?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Pictures and putting "sold" in the title. How hard can it possibly be - take away trading access, such a pita.
Agree I think taking away access is a bit harsh maybe after 3 strikes.
What I love seeing is those who go into the thread to put sold in the OP and at the end but don't bother putting it in the title.

Pictures the way I see it. Its mostly the sellers issue it dramatically reduces sale potential. If I'm genuinely interested in a item I have no problem asking for photos but for them they lose sales.