Trail bikes at the pump track

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I’ve been down some GooGle holes the last few weeks while procrastinating at work and am interested in improving skills and fitness by spending a bit of time at the pump track
While pump track bikes look sick, I can’t justify one so would need to take my Prime down for a go.
Is this a good idea, and what would I need to do to my bike to make it ride better? I assume putting some more air in the tyres and making the suspension a bit firmer would be a start?
Any tips? Have watched a few vids and it looks heaps of fun and a real workout!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I’ve been down some GooGle holes the last few weeks while procrastinating at work and am interested in improving skills and fitness by spending a bit of time at the pump track
While pump track bikes look sick, I can’t justify one so would need to take my Prime down for a go.
Is this a good idea, and what would I need to do to my bike to make it ride better? I assume putting some more air in the tyres and making the suspension a bit firmer would be a start?
Any tips? Have watched a few vids and it looks heaps of fun and a real workout!
Yep, more air pressure in tyres for better rolling, lock out suspension, drop saddle and go.
Pump track bikes are fun, but there's nothing wrong at all with using your trail bike. It's good practice and you'll learn how to move around on the trail bike to maximise efficiency by doing so.

TL,DR: ride bike on pump track, have fun!

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I'll second @Labcanary TL,DR; bikes are fun, get on it... but will throw in a caveat or three.

• Public track and tar surface? Go your hardest. Dirt surface? Knobby trail tyres will rip it up and create more maintenance for whomever that is.
  • Nothing beats a DJ bike or Cruiser BMX around a pump track, sure pump up your tyres and lock out the suspension on your Prime but it's still going to be a lot of effort, expect that you'll need to pedal in a couple of spots to keep the momentum.
  • If you have a go and you like it keep an eye out on your local BMX club's Buy/Swap/Sell, second hand cruisers are usually pretty cheap and will be exponentially more enjoyable.

Rorschach

Thanks guys. There are a couple around, most are hardpack but there is an asphalt one not too far away which I'll probably hit up more often
I'll see if any cheap DJs come up as well if I like it

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Hardest part about a pump track on a trail bike is the wheelbase is too long to really get your momentum up and make the most of the rollers/corners for pumping benefit.

That said, as above, it's fun and it'll put you on your arse panting and begging for water in 5 minutes flat so go nuts.

Rorschach

Hardest part about a pump track on a trail bike is the wheelbase is too long to really get your momentum up and make the most of the rollers/corners for pumping benefit.

That said, as above, it's fun and it'll put you on your arse panting and begging for water in 5 minutes flat so go nuts.
The fitness part is half of why I want to do it, spending half an hour there is probably more benefit than everything else I do during the week!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I can get round my pump track twice without pedalling - just! Admittedly it's not a very long track but the key for me is to go high in the turns and generate all the speed there.