Trail Care Day, Mt Coot-tha Forest, 25 Mar 2006

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Trail Care Day - Mt Coot-tha Forest
Work Sponsor - Gap Creel Trails Alliance, Brisbane City Council

Date - 25 March 2006
Start Time - 7:00am
Finish Time - 11:00am
Meeting Point - Beilby Rd Greenford St Entry (opposite 144 Greenford St) UBD 157 L17, we will then make our way to the work site from there.
What to Bring - yourself in covered shoes, appropriate sun safe clothing (long sleeves and pants will add extra protection) and hat/helmet (if riding lock for your bike as well), fluids for the course of the day and/or your hydration pack, food/snack (snakes seem to be the preferred option), gloves (leather is good), sunscreen.
Tools - Hand tools such as shovels, fire rakes, mattocks are supplied. Chain saws and other powered equipment are only operated by me.
Other - All attendants please fill out the sign in/out sheet so we can accurately log the numbers of hours of volunteer labour you guys put in.
Work to be completed
So I have re-reconsidered our program for Saturday and basically we are going to do what was originally planned for the day a reroute as per the attached link. In addition to this we will be doing another important part of the trail care mission and doing maintenance. We have built quite a lot of new sections to cut out problems and it is a good time to fix bits that aren't working, clean out drainage points add a couple of TTF's to the new alignments and other stuff. There are some sections of roller coaster where the edge is completely blown out and needs to be stabilised with edging. Also the rock armour and choke at the entry closest to Bielby Rd needs some work. The Choke is not slowing people down enough and the are riders going straight ahead cutting the corner. There is also a need to more rock armour as the surface is still eroding from the heavy braking. Some soil has also been lost from the armour before the berm and is silting up the rock berm. This also needs to be restored.

http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15766

Why work is necessary
see above
Trail Care Walk through/Preview
Date - some time after 17 Mar 2006
Start Time - When ever you want to go have a look.
Finish Time - Shortly after you get there.
Meeting Point - NA
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via PM, email, carrier pigeon, smoke signal or post the questions here. If there is anything I have not covered, please feel free to ask.

If there are changes to the above information they will be posted here.

8O It has now been confirmed that ABC TV program Stateline will be attending the Trail Care Day.
Cr Judy Magub, the Lord Mayor's spokesperson on Environment and Sustainability will be on site at 8.30am for an interview. Chris Maierhofer, Council's Trailcare Co-ordinator has also been approved to do an interview.
I have received some good responses from some individuals about the day so put aside any differences we may have and lets put on a united front for the TV and councillor and have some fun in the bush. :2thumbsup:

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for putting this over here on Farkin now Oppy. At least we still have a voice somewhere.

Moh

Squid
Just some feedback to the work done on coaster on the weekend.

1. I like the new entry. Nice rock features (the 2 big one that stick out of the ground) at the start make the entry interesting to expereinced riders without the need to become airborne anymore. At the same time, they look like they will be quite easy for newbies to negotiate at low speed. It would be nice to see more of this type ttf along the tracks. Ones that are easy at low speed, but offer more challenge the faster you go. Well done.

2. Maybe some of the new logs half buried along the edge of the track could be 3/4 or fully buried instead. They look really out of place on what otherwise looks like a fairly "natural" looking track.

Keep up the good work all.

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll see how the logs hold up. I normally aim for half buried logs just from habit more than anything else. We can lower them if it proves necessary.