Trail riding in NZ

digger

Likes Dirt
Been thinking of making the hop over to NZ with some of the crew to see what all the fiss (sic) is about. We'd be looking for more XC stuff than Freeride or DH. We're too old for that sort of carry on.

does anyone have any worthwhile information about best places to ride, bike friendly accommodation, tours & tour guides etc from previous experience??

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My suggestion would be go to the Ground Effect website and buy yourself a copy of the Kennet brothers classic NZ rides book.

If that doesn't give you enough ideas then nothing will. :)

scbullit

Likes Dirt
If you go to NZ, you must ride Rotorua - it rocks - especially trails like B Rude Not To, Gunna Gotta and Hot X Buns...

hyperkona

Likes Bikes
If you are in the south island then check out trials such as the Queen Charlotte, Molesworth and also the Port Hills offer some nice rides. Some good rides further south as well, but havent ridden them. As was earlier posted - contact Groundeffect or even an LBS to point your wheels to the right track! :) Enjoy ya trip!

Matt H

Eats Squid
There's a mtb charter kind of thing in queenstown that my dad went on, forget them name of it now thoug... like fat tyre somethings

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very few people know all the trails in NZ intimately. As mentioned above, get a copy of the Kennet Bro's book and ask at the LBS wherever you are.

My advise would be to fly into Auckland (between November and March) and head straight down to Rotorua (about 350km south). Spend a couple of days there (riding the Redwoods and around the Green & Blue Lakes, maybe up Tarawera if you're fit enough) and then a couple of days in Taupo, about 60km south of Rotorua (riding Craters of the Moon, Huka Falls track to Aratiatia Rapids and maybe a ride around the Western bays of Lake Taupo). Then on to National Park (100km South of Taupo) to ride the 42nd Traverse. Head down to Wellington (350km or so South of National Park) and spend 2 days there (riding Karori Park, Mt Vic etc) before flying back.

You'll bloody love it.