Trail tire width ?

omac

Likes Dirt
Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.30 vs Hans Dampf 27.5x2.35

Long story short...Iv bought tires before Iv bought the bike (727 Zesty fitted with 2.25 Nobby nics), I have the Hans Dampf already but now I'm looking for a reasonably cheap tubeless rear tire.
My concern is that I have read in reviews that the Hans 2.35 is quite big/wide (which I prefer) & I"m worried that the Maxxis will be considerably smaller compared to the Hans. Back in my DH days I used to ride Intense 2.7s up front & when I switched to Maxxis & I immediately noticed the Maxxis 2.7 was smaller than the Intense 2.7

So maybe I should be looking at a Maxxis 2.4 for the rear??????

http://www.pushys.com.au/maxxis-high-roller-ii-27-5x2-30-650b-exo-tr-mtb-tyre.html

http://www.pushys.com.au/maxxis-ardent-27-5x2-40-650b-exo-tr-folding-mtb-tyre.html

Cheers

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.30 vs Hans Dampf 27.5x2.35

My concern is that I have read in reviews that the Hans 2.35 is quite big/wide (which I prefer) & I"m worried that the Maxxis will be considerably smaller compared to the Hans. Back in my DH days I used to ride Intense 2.7s up front until I switch to Maxxis & I immediately noticed the Maxxis 2.7 was smaller than the Intense 2.7

Cheers
The High Roller2 seems much wider than the HR1. I use a spesh Purgatory grid wall 2.2 on the back. It is comfortable from 15-30lb tubeless, is fairly round and predictable in profile and performance. Not great on wet log climbs and can deflect off rocks at higher pressures because of the solid sidewall, but it does everything else well, rolls OK and lasts and lasts. Value for money even though it is expensive.

I had a HR1 2.35 on the front until recently and changed to the HR2. The old one was way thinner then the 2.2 Purgatory. The new one is a similar width to the purg, much stronger in the sidewall and perhaps a little less quick to lean into the corner, but it grips as well to better than the HR1. Also comfortable at 18-25lb tubeless (on the front). Both these tyres bead well with a track pump.

In short, the HR2 is a much better tyre than the old HR, more solid and no less "trail" capable in a XC sense, as it rolls as well and seems to be lasting longer. It may make a good rear, but I like it at the front for its lock in-grip.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
ardent race 2.2 unless you are ridding in loose wet dirt! it blows up big. as big as my 2.2 trail king which in reality was about 2.35. just has smaller knobs which mean light and fast.

out of the two you are going I would go for ardent 2.4 but I think its a little overkill for most aussie conditions as a rear. that being said for the price its fantastic.

omac

Likes Dirt
Thanx for the reply fellas

I'm still undecided

I'm familiar with the old HR 2.3 & I found it OK on the back (hated it on the front) & the HR II sounds like its better but the price of the Ardent is hard to pass.

It will be a bulk buy (3 -4) so if I get a tire I don't like, I'll be spewn, maybe I should get 2 of each:dizzy:

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Why not run the Hans Dampfs F+R?? they are a BIG 2.35. As you say much bigger than the OG Highrollers. Haven't seen the HG2s in the flesh so can't comment on them, but the Ardents are a more high volume tyre. The 2.4 is probably comparable in size to the Hans Dampf 2.35. As others say Contis are also generous for their sizing.

If you're wondering about actual widths of tyres do a Google image search for "(insert tyre name) actual width". chances are you'll get a hit with with some digital verniers around them.

Gripo

Eats Squid
If its "trail" riding you do not "AM" riding (whatever AM is) just go 275 x 2.25 Ardent at 630g on the rear and a 275 x 2.25 Nobby Nic at 630g on the front....both setup tubeless well and have good volume...most importantly they don't slow you down like those 800g + AM 2.35 tyres...

Last edited:

omac

Likes Dirt
Good idea Danny

I gave the ardents a hit & found that there 2.33inch or 54.7mm
http://twentynineinches.com/2010/01/17/maxxis-ardent-2-4″-29″er-tires-out-of-the-box/

Hans Dampf = 2.5inch or 63.4mm
http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-biking/mtb-reviews/hans-dampf-275x225/

Couldn't find anything on the High roller II

Id prefer to not to run the Hans on the back due to there price & I'm keeping the Nobby nics for spares too
Most of my riding will be trail riding but I also need a tire that can handle Gravity enduro, AM & some DH/Freeride.

I think I'll get the Ardents

Cheers

Last edited: