Trail wreckers

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Just an update on the whole parks vic thing.
A mate of mine sent an email to parks and actually got a response!
We're waiting on hearing from a bloke called Jeremy who was currently looking at something to do with the park.
Hopefully it all goes good! :)

Last edited:

mlsred

Likes Dirt
Hey guys/girls,
Just wanted to let off a bit of steam, due to the fact that the trails we built in the Plenty Gorge area (Greensborough) are constantly being destroyed by XC riders.
Although we have built paths off the side of the jumps and such, they go out of their way to destroy our hard work.
Im curious to know on how others have dealt with this or pictures of before and after.

Cheers
Theres trails in the gorge and i didn't know about them?

Unfortunately the majority of XC riders I have met in the Epping, Mill Park and South Morang region all think there s*** don't stink.

Try carving a new path off the beaten track to avoid pissing off the XC guys, just make sure you don't hack down the wildlife in the process. I'm sure you could find ample room in the gorge to have both XC and trails without anyone so much as blinking.

send us a pm I might even come down with a shovel (I'm only in Epping)

blackandblue

Likes Bikes
Booby Traps....... JOKES

we have the same problem with motor bike who im pretty sure make an effort to destroy our trails
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

monc

Likes Dirt
Do you have permission to build on the land?

People building jumps etc without permission is often used as a reason by land managers to kick mtb-ers off existing trails, so often riders who use the tracks will remove the jumps to try to protect access.

Solution to your problem - find somewhere you're allowed to build, and your jumps will be safe.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Do you have permission to build on the land?

People building jumps etc without permission is often used as a reason by land managers to kick mtb-ers off existing trails, so often riders who use the tracks will remove the jumps to try to protect access.

Solution to your problem - find somewhere you're allowed to build, and your jumps will be safe.
Its in the middle of this bushland kind of area and council and such wouldnt bother going as it would be to hard to access.
We are only building on an existing trail and its as thought the go out of there way to do it.

But there is no secluded area your allowed to build in that doesnt end up being overtaken.
This is our area.

Another thing, they musn't be very smart as they took apart our jump and threw the logs in the middle of the track. And yet they're trying to avoid obstacles?

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Why blame XC riders? I blame dog walkers/birdwatcher types...
well the other people I ride with had claimed they have seen the tyre marks, although you make an excellent point.
dont get me wrong, all riders are good riders.

we even put up signs saying please dont wreck our stuff and yet bam.

Middo

Likes Bikes
This is our area
Errr - unless you actually own it or have permission from the managers, it's not.

Maybe not everyone likes trails being turned into jump tracks:confused:.

Sounds like a sensible idea.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Errr - unless you actually own it or have permission from the managers, it's not.

Maybe not everyone likes trails being turned into jump tracks:confused:.

Sounds like a sensible idea.
im not saying that its our legal area. im saying that, were not affecting anyone.
well we have tried to ask the council for an area, but they dont even reply to emails so dont just go off and judge us as reckless teens.
we built the tracks, thinking of other riders (which ive already explained)

casnell, did people tack them again? where and when?
I doubt it was them as it would be to far out of their way.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
maybe make a second trail around a fast corner so they cant see it, and build youre track down that one :)
Yeah but this is like the only area(from my knowledge) which you can build a good, fast track.
We do have a set of jumps hidden which re being built on more.

Hopefully I will take some photos/videos next week

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its in the middle of this bushland kind of area and council and such wouldnt bother going as it would be to hard to access.

We are only building on an existing trail and its as thought the go out of there way to do it.
So... your building jumps on an existing trail? If so, its no wonder people are knocking them down...
But if you building them on their own and riders are knocking them down, thats not cool.

probably one of the reason the council doesn't want to know about stuff is that they are more than likely liable if some dopey goose lands on his head

Sekt

Likes Dirt
Another thing, they musn't be very smart as they took apart our jump and threw the logs in the middle of the track. And yet they're trying to avoid obstacles?
Another reason that it's more likely to be walkers doing the damage. Have you thought that perhaps the tyre marks are there because XC riders have been riding the trail and not destroying your jumps?

If you've built jumps on an existing trail then there's a good chance other riders will pull them down, as you may well have 'ruined' someone else's hard work. Just because an area's secluded doesn't mean it's removed from other types of riders.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com

But there is no secluded area your allowed to build in that doesnt end up being overtaken.
This is our area.

Your kddng ridght? This is YOUR area? This area is owner and maintained by Parks Vic. Who do you think put the logs across the track and pulled down the jumps. Parks Vic have no problems with bike riders using the trails out there, but that may have changed with all the freeride shit being built out there.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
An existing trail that was covered in leaves and logs, and was rarely used by others.

It's doesn't matter who has wrecked them, just the fact that they wrecked them.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Your kddng ridght? This is YOUR area? This area is owner and maintained by Parks Vic. Who do you think put the logs across the track and pulled down the jumps. Parks Vic have no problems with bike riders using the trails out there, but that may have changed with all the freeride shit being built out there.
I'll explain again.
Its our area as in its not a popular place where heaps of riders come and build/wreck the jumps.